Unwanted Adventure

Unwanted Adventure

A Story by Luca DeClouds
"

Takara was not planing to have an adventure for his winter vacation, but life does not always do what you plan.

"

The map lay open on the table, its musty smell filling the room. Takara looked it over, noting the well-worn creases where it had been folded centuries ago, seeing the stains and wondering how they had gotten there, what hands had held the dry, brittle parchment during its storied history. A bag of soft velvet and supple leather held down one corner of the map. Takara lifted the bag gently, feeling the weight, trying to discern what lay inside before curiosity got the better of him and he carefully poured the contents onto the table.

His eyes went wide. “Well now,” he thought, looking at the scattered treasure gleaming in the room’s light. “This makes things rather interesting.”

Takara never even thought that he would become someone to pursue adventures, but this situation got him rolling and he couldn’t stop the wheels. He carefully put the jewels back into the velvet bag and tied it firmly shut. He wanted to view the ancient map more closely. It showed archipelago of a familiar place, a bit more of what’s left today, but still so similar one couldn’t confuse it with anything else. The parchment beheld the secrets of faraway times as it had a lackluster red punctured line as if it was showing the way to someplace marked with an X. Takara carefully backed away from the table supporting the parchment so to see the whole map in one go and then engraved it into his memory. Takara had one hell of a visionary memory.

It’s like pirates of the Caribbean,” the boy smirked.

The shipwreck in where the boy had snuck in suddenly moved as if one of its sides suddenly became much heavier. The boy with slanting eyes and thick raven black hair felt uneasy and slouched beside the creaking table. He tucked the bag inside his jumper pocket and tried to sneak out unnoticed. Unfortunately for him, one of the men who had invaded the ship noticed him while he was still standing near the table with the map. Takara tried to put out the candle to hide his face, but the man moved forward and the candlestick swayed falling down on top of the map. It was unlikely to catch fire so quickly due to being damp, but it seemed that the dampness was caused by the candle oil which was spilled a long time ago.

Oh my…” Takara said with a cheeky smile on his face and slipped out through the crack in the side of the old wrecked ship.

Yeah, and I’ll take over right here. You can’t tell the story. I know what happened and you’re just saying whatever comes to your head.

So, I slipped out into freezing water. Getting out of water would have been amazing, but I had to stay hidden under the surface so they wouldn’t notice me. The water stung my bones as I swam through. Then I remembered that I had my phone in the pocket and it stung even more �" it was brand new and I had to work my a*s off to get it… While ignoring the cold I swam quite a distance and then got out of the water at some remote place hidden from the view. It was getting dark and I had to go back to the hotel where my parents had booked the rooms for our stay. The thing is, I had no idea where I was at. There’s no difference in having a map in my head if I have no clue where I’m standing. So, I was soaking wet and freezing into a Popsicle. No money, except the bag full of glittering rocks, no phone and no change of clothes. I still don’t get why they, I mean my parents, suddenly wanted to go to Hawaii in the middle of winter. It should be warm even in the middle of winter, but it’s not. It’s awfully cold for some unknown reason. Maybe the world’s end is coming?

Anyways, I was freezing my a*s off in someplace I was unfamiliar with. There were no people around, any cars passed by and I felt as if I was stranded in some uninhabited island. It felt strange. More like it actually quite intimidated me. I hated that feeling. I really hated being left alone in unfamiliar place. So I just started walking by the street which somehow looked like it was the main one. Again there was no person alive in this street. Did I get into some kind of a different dimension or something? I had to at least find someone who could help me and tell me how to get to my hotel.

As I finally walked into some people I had to run…

Excuse me, could you please…”

Hey, that’s the brat!”

The face of one of them blinked in my memory and I dashed away with all my strength, which wasn’t much at this point, bus still. Good thing was I was faster than most of them. But I was drenched, still, and they were not. This was of no advantage for me. And one more thing, I was horrible at any kind of sports. Only good trait of mine academically was my brain and the memory I had. At any other aspect, such as sports, socializing, public speaking and other stuff we have to do at school, I was plain awful.

Eventually I ran into a narrow alley. I thought maybe I could hide in there and they would just lose track of me. The situation got better, as I expected. They ran right there, but didn’t see me and I was safe. I decided to wait a while and then walk out from the other side of the alley.

Ugh, too cold…” I complained to no one.

While waiting I checked my phone just to find that it was completely useless now. It got busted by the water… Oh well, the compensation in my jumper pocket would do, I mussed.

Once again I spilled the content of the leather bag into my palm and made sure I wasn’t dreaming. I was not. It was real. There was a real diamond, some rubies, and other gems I had no knowledge of their names and a tiny golden key with a small blue rock in the ornament. I wondered if I should show that to my parents. But what would they say? Would they force me to take it to the police? Or just take it from me and never give it back and use it as they see fit? Well, mom would do the latter, whereas dad would do the first…

Anyways, I got up and started walking looking out for those men and searching for the signs so to get an idea where I was. Somewhere behind me a man shouted “there’s the kid!” and I dashed again as if my life depended on it.

My legs hurt and my lungs started to malfunction as I ran further. The thing was, if I knew the territory I would have ran away and hid someplace they would never think of looking, but this place was completely new to me so I had no knowledge of it and had to run like some rabbit on the run from the fox. Yeah, but still, rabbits have their holes to hop in and I had nothing.

Ugh…” I actually ran into someone.

Hey, are you all right?” the man I slammed into asked gently.

I looked up at him and I swear to my nonexistent god that I wouldn’t mind becoming gay for that guy.

What? Don’t look at me like that. That was the thing I first thought while staring at him like some naïve middle school girl. Don’t disturb me, I’m telling the story.

So, where was I? Ah, yes. The guy I slammed into was tall, taller than me by almost ten maybe fifteen centimeters. Yes, then I realized how short one can be… I was merely 169 centimeters tall. The guy had a kind face which was, by the way, unbelievably handsome, truthfully speaking. He wore flower pattern shorts and a jumper and flip-flops. Yeah, it was Hawaii after all. His hair was gleaming into the light of the light-post and seemed as if it was golden. I couldn’t see his eye color, but I bet it was blue.

So, you all good?” He asked again.

Haha… Yeah, I’m fine. Sorry ‘bout slamming into you.”

Well, it wasn’t so bad,” he smiled.

I don’t know why, but I stupidly blushed. Why? I was a guy; a seventeen years old guy with a long list of girlfriends and fans of mine. So why in the ending world was I blushing for a guy? Yeah, never mind this. Back to the story…

Um, yeah… Look, I’m a bit in a hurry so…”

And the guys who were after me just walked out of the corner and I slightly panicked. I frantically looked around and saw another one in an opposite direction, so I was cornered.

Need some help?”

I nodded and he grabbed my arm and dragged me with him. He probably was from around here. He knew the places to run and to hide, so we lost the pursuers quite quickly despite the fact he wore freaking flip-flops. I was out of my breath and he looked like he took a light walk at the beach. It was strange to see him like that. What was he? Or was it because he didn’t run as much as I did? Or maybe he had a good physical condition? Or he was a soccer player? No, maybe rugby? He had quite muscular legs.

Right, what’s your name?” He asked while looking me straight in the eyes.

Takara. You?”

I’m Jack. But your name… What does that mean?”

Um, I guess it means something along the lines of a treasure in Japanese.”

Not bad for a lost kid. It fits the situation perfectly.”

I blinked a bit too much because I was somehow convinced that he knew about the bag in my pocket. “What do you mean by that?”

Well, treasures are to be found, right? And I just found you.”

Oh…”

I smiled awkwardly and blushed again. Why? I have no idea. So don’t ask.

We were sitting in an abandoned building which looked like a rundown department store. There was an empty wending machine and a counter. I could see isles of shelves near the walls. It had a faint smell of must and piss. I saw a rat run along one of the walls and disappear into it. It creeped me out. I hated rats, mice, slugs and other creatures that had more than four legs. I was not a scaredy-cat I just couldn’t stand them, that’s all.

What?” Jack saw my face when I saw the rat.

Nothing. Thanks for helping me. I was in a pinch there,” I said and forced out a laugh.

Why were they after you? And why are you soaked? It didn’t rain, did it?”

Hahahah…” I forced a laugh again. “Well, it’s quite funny; I might have burned something that they were after. And I’m soaked because I took a swim…”

What did you burn? You didn’t arson or something?”

Nah, it was just a little fire at the wrecked ship near the coast.”

You burned down the Wreckage?”

What?”

That’s how we call the crashed ship. Why?”

It’s not the ship. I just dumped a candle on a map that was inside.”

His expression was priceless. His eyes went as wide as a pool and his mouth was wide open. He stared at me as if it was some miracle before him.

You were inside?”

I nodded.

What map was there?”

It was the map of Hawaii archipelago. Was quite old and not too specific, but plausible.”

How do you know it was Hawaii? Was there a name?”

Nah, I just know by the shape of the main island and its positions.”

Was there anything interesting?”

I was actually about to say something stupid, but then stopped myself and wondered for a minute. What if I say what I found and he seems to be the bad guy? What if he tries to take it by force and then I’m kind of done for? No, no, I thought for a bit and told him that I found nothing besides the map in there and that I have no interest in going back, I was just interested in how the inside of the wrecked ship looked like.

He then asked me where my hotel was and, to tell the truth, I never asked the name of the hotel so I was completely clueless where my parents were right now. It was funny, since the night already came and I still was drenched and freezing and, as of now, homeless. The good thing then occurred. Jack asked if I would like to stay at his place, at least until my clothes are completely dry or the sun rises. And I said yes to that without much thought because I was that desperate then.

Still, I couldn’t trust Jack unconditionally since he was a total stranger. And I was not a middle school girl so to be as naïve and believe in every handsome man’s words so readily.

Jack’s place was quite simple. There was a single bedroom, a small kitchen and a toilet with a bath. In his room was a neatly made med, TV and a Play station with loads of games scattered around. I could say he was living alone. I wish I could live a life like that with no one telling me what to do and what not to. Well, my parents weren’t naggers so it’s not so bad living with them, but still a young stud like me needs some space.

So, make yourself at home. Ah yeah, take of your clothes, let’s dry them here. I’ll get you some of mine. Is that ok?”

Yeah. That’d be great.”

I changed and he put my clothes up to dry. His clothes were a bit too big for me. Sleeves of his jumper were a bother because I had to fold them up twice. His jeans were fine at the waist, but it was too long. Anyway, he made some tea and turned the TV on.

You don’t drink?” He asked.

I’m a minor, how unexpected that is…”

Yeah, so? Is it not fun to go against the law?” Jack laughed.

I looked at him with a funny face and he laughed even more.

Well, the thing is, I don’t like the taste of alcohol. And I get a bit out of control…”

Now you got my curiosity. What happened the last time you drank?”

S**t happened. Like I said, I lost control and made a lot of people hate me. My previous girlfriend dumped me because of it.”

So what happened?”

I started to spout all kinds of things, and then started a fight… My sensei threw me out of karate team, because I used violence outside the dojo.”

Karate?”

Yeah. But I’m no good. All I can do is basic kicks.”

So we talked about me the whole time. He avoided my questions and tried to switch back to me. It was really suspicious so I talked carefully so to not say anything unnecessary.

Hey, did that map had some markings? You know, like a treasure map with directions where the treasure is.”

I looked at him and at that time two other men stepped into the room. Jack was one of them… I actually laughed at my own naivety. What an idiot…

Why don’t you answer, kid,” one of the other two said.

I had to think. Should I just run or should I get my jumper and then run. Right, there was supposed to be a small window in the bathroom, so I ran in there, locked the door and grabbed my nearly dry jumper. Checked the pocket and found untouched bag with stones. Good. They were trying to break down the door so I just slipped out the window and ran. I had to go somewhere where there are a lot of people. Then it would be easier to hide. I ran towards the lights and music. The problem was long jeans. I tripped and fell. My arm was bleeding, but it was a minor injury so it was kind of good.

For one day I had enough of running and the whole adventure thing. At one point I thought about just giving up. Why don’t I just hide the bag and tell them where the X mark was? It would be wise, wouldn’t it? And so I did that. I hid the bag in a tree; it took me a while to find a perfect one. And then waited while slowly walking.

Well, well, who got tired,” Jack had a smug grin on his face. “You know, I like your kind of people. Very honest. So, you know where the mark was?”

I nodded. He then brought me back to his place and sat me before the map of Hawaii. Said “draw me the map”.

I just marked the place where the X was and was done. The island was small; I think it was called Kaho’Olawe or something.

That’s it?”

It is here,” I pointed the Kanapou Bay and then there was some name Keoneuli, I think.

It was on the beach?”

I think so. The directions on the map were too vague.”

Ok, then we’re settled. Guys prepare the speed boat. Takara, you are coming along.”

What? Why?”

He replied with ‘because I said so’ face and I just lost power to argue. The only thing that might happen wrong was me losing my life after they find what they were looking for. I did not want that, who would?

Anyways, the speed boat reached the other island in about an hour or more, I don’t really know. Then one of them, the one who looked the scariest took out a gun and pointed it at me. My limbs went numb and I almost passed out.

Hey, don’t scare the kid,” Jack said and the man hid the gun.

I got a bit of water to drink and then he made me walk. I had to show him the exact place where the X mark was.

I’m not some Google maps, you know.”

Don’t play smart with me. Hurry up.”

Thirty steps forward, fifteen to the right, five more to the left,” I repeated the instructions that were on the map. “That’s all there were on it.”

We reached the spot and they started digging. I never thought that at this time and day someone would actually dig a hole on a beach to find a treasure. Well, whatever. It seemed like there was nothing there.

This kid made fun of us,” the guy with the gun said.

Was it time for me to panic? Oh yes, yes it was.

And then a miracle happened. The beach was full of police. They were all aiming at the guy with a gun. Even Jack was kind of like on their side. I mean, he took out a badge and said something about their rights and other stuff that cops usually say while apprehending the criminals.

Thanks kid. You helped us a lot,” Jack said. “You see, we can’t just arrest with no reason or proof, so they had to find the chest or do something offensive.”

Was chasing me not offensive enough?”

Jack laughed and said sorry. And then that it’s a shame that there was no treasure chest. It supposedly was some kind of national treasure or something, so it was very valuable for the archipelago as a country.

Check a bit to the left of the hole. Maybe I miscounted some steps…”

Jack looked at me with unsure eyes and asked for other officers to check the hole. And after couple of minutes they found it. They dug out the chest. It seemed heavy. It was a wooden box with golden ornaments and a small keyhole. Keyhole? There was a small key among other stones.

Um, Jack. Can I ask you something?”

Yeah, what is it?”

If I tell you that I know where the key is, will you let me keep what else I found?”

It depends on what you found.”

You know, I almost died here. I’m still in panic and trembling, I think I might get some PTSD…”

I get it. Look, we really need something so we could open it without harming it. Leave everything else to me.”

Hey, how old are you?”

He was surprised, but he answered. He was twenty six. Maybe I should become a cop too? Nah, maybe not. I would be useless as a police officer.

They contacted my parents and I was returned to my hotel. I got an earfull from my folks and that part was very not welcome, but I guess, I earned that one by wander away on my own. After that it took me a while, two days to be exact, to find the tree with the little velvet bag with a key and the stones inside. As promised I gave the key to Jack and he looked at me with a knowing gaze, but said nothing about the remaining contents of the bag. So I got to keep it.

It wasn’t long before I had to go back home since my winter vacation was nearing its end. I can’t say that it was the best vacation ever, but it was among top five of my list. I found a lifelong friend who occasionally emails me. And I already know where I would spend my summer vacation. Well, at least I got to experience one of my adventures and that was somehow extraordinary in my short life.


© 2017 Luca DeClouds


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on June 20, 2017
Last Updated on June 20, 2017
Tags: adventure, police, treasure, hawaii, chase, running, short story, trickery, friendship

Author

Luca DeClouds
Luca DeClouds

kauans, Lithuania



About
I am 24 y.o. Amateur writer, trying to live off of my stories. that is not working out well... I am trying to challenge myself every day more..

Writing