The Black Cat

The Black Cat

A Story by LucretiaJane
"

Beware of strays...

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pink balloons adorned the mailbox, announcing the birth of a baby girl.

Tom opened their door, exactly 6:30 a.m., to retrieve the morning paper. He gazed down at a black cat, sitting quietly, looking at him.

"Go on, shoo!" He returned inside, then later left for work. The cat had disappeared.

The next morning it happened again. He mentioned it to his wife, Mary, who had taken leave from work to care for their new baby. She decided to give the poor cat some leftover scraps. It became a morning ritual.

After a week, the cat simply walked inside as Tom was getting his morning paper. They'd grown fond of Sabatha, as they'd named her, and let her stay.

Suddenly, one Saturday, they heard screams coming from the baby's room. They rushed in, and watched worm-like tentacles reaching from Sabatha's mouth into their baby's eyeballs. Blood ran down as the cat sucked the life out of their child. Mary fainted. Tom stared in horror.

Nobody believed them, of course. They received life in prison for murder.

On another street, blue balloons decorated a mailbox. A black cat sat patiently on the doorstep in the early morn.

 

© 2012 LucretiaJane


Author's Note

LucretiaJane
Flash fiction. 196 words. Picture courtesy of pantherkut.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
The "Suddenly, one Saturday" comes out of nowhere so fast that it's hard to feel empathy.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on July 1, 2012
Last Updated on July 1, 2012
Tags: horror, suspense