The Right Thing

The Right Thing

A Story by luke312
"

It's a Working Progress

"

Doing the Right Thing

 

Is doing the right thing something everyone can do?

Is it something we are taught to do only when it is beneficial to us?


Can you do the right thing even if it seems impossible? Or are we just telling our selves it’s not our fight.

 

I remember seeing two boys picking on a girl for reasons I knew not.
I remember looking around waiting for someone to help her as she struggled.
I watched as they pushed and teased, throwing her bag from one to the other.
I watched as books fell from her bag and the look on her face.
I remember thinking what would happen if I were to help her, what would their anger be like if it were turned on me.
I remember thinking what could I even do to stop them.

I remember hearing her cries for help an the sight of tears running down her cheek and the feelings I felt as I watched those around me do nothing.

 

I remember feeling fed up with my self for not doing anything for not rushing in from the second i saw and recognized what was happening and the feeling of being like a coward weighing his choices.

 

Then as the first punches flew I remember feeling like I was doing the right thing and that no matter what happened I would never regret what i had done. Later as I nursed myself off the concrete I felt the worm hands of the girl who expressed her gratitude in a rather subtle unexpected way

I never got money, I never got praised instead I heard two simple words “thank you” and while I don’t remember her name or how she looked all I can remember was the feeling of pride that welded up inside.


Doing the right thing may not become easier the more you do it but it is always worth it!


There is no excuse for not standing up for what you believe is right!!

There is nothing you can do or words you can say to someone for doing nothing!!!

© 2011 luke312


Author's Note

luke312
Your Comments Are Important

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Brilliant piece, however, i must contrast, "doing what is right becomes easier the more you do it..." in some cases this hits the nail on the head, however it can be argued that cases where good was done and bad returned as a welcome may hinder the one from celebrating that deed in the future but over all, great write and Very sincere. Good job

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You pointed out so cleverly the necessity for reinforcement of a perceived desired behavior: it helps someone stand tall and influence his future acts in a positive way. I liked particularly the passage from: “I remember seeing two boys picking on a girl for reasons I knew not” to “.I felt as I watched those around me do nothing”. You expressed a potentially frustrating and traumatized experience with quite a philosophical gaze.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like your message to the reader, clear and true.
Yes, we should all do the right things... when we ignore it, it makes us feel bad, even guilty...


Posted 15 Years Ago


Brilliant piece, however, i must contrast, "doing what is right becomes easier the more you do it..." in some cases this hits the nail on the head, however it can be argued that cases where good was done and bad returned as a welcome may hinder the one from celebrating that deed in the future but over all, great write and Very sincere. Good job

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I rate this! liked the expression and the morale of the story...if only more of us would do the right thing....but then again,the world's corruption doesn't always allow for the right thing to be done...or done well...as majority rules and the majority is corrupt. We've got to band together...yes,that's my belief....the world can become a better place...only if more people like you reside. Thanx luke...this poem shows us that there's still hope. It only takes a spark to get a fire going...cliche but true.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Always do what you can. It may be that the Universe only requires a kind word or a smile on that particular day. But you'll feel better knowing that you followed your instincts and did what you could.

If we learn to listen, we are given the knowledge we need to do the right thing.

Good luck to you on your journeys.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 9, 2008
Last Updated on February 1, 2011
Tags: live, fight, stand up, feel, Inspirational, grow, overcome

Author

luke312
luke312

Kingston, Jamaica



About
I Have Dreams And Ideals. I Have a Future And a Past. I'm Strong and Tall. Logical Yet Optimistic. I Love and I Hate, I am Who I am. more..

Writing
A Thought A Thought

A Poem by luke312



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..