Kings, Queens, Poets and Tramps

Kings, Queens, Poets and Tramps

A Poem by Luke Ritta
"

A poem about a road trip through England.

"

Kings, Queens, Poets and Tramps

 

 

The misty morning hangs over the Tyne Bridge as I drive across it and out of Newcastle to start my odyssey.

 

The beauty of The Lake District burns into my heart, Raindrops lay on my windscreen like pearls as my car drives into Yorkshire. I stop in Leeds for a strong brew; in York I look up into the metallic sky and see the letters S.P.Q.R. printed across the clouds. The moors glow black as I leave them behind.

 

The aroma of tripe hits me as I walk along the Mersey in Liverpool.

The beat is heard miles before you get to Manchester. It is in your blood stream, you feel the music in your soul. As I walk down the arrogant streets the sound of

The Stone Roses and Oasis is heard throughout the city.

 

 

The orange sun brakes through the clouds and shines on the cities of Chester, Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham. The road goes on, my eyes scan the countryside, the minutes tick by and the island becomes smaller.

 

 

I hear the sound of a quill being dipped in ink as I stroll around Stratford-upon-Avon, I glide down the peaceful rivers of Cambridge, I gaze up with wonder at the spires of Oxford as ninety-nine crows fly into the lavender stained sky. The mighty cathedral stands like an old giant in the historic city of Canterbury.

 

The sounds and smells of every nationality in the world is heard and felt. I walk through my hometown, the capital, the old great city of  kings, queens, poets and tramps. I relax in Hyde Park while reading a novel by George Orwell. Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones echoes throughout the alleyways. I am in London.

 

 

Finally I’m at the end of my trip as I drive into mystical Cornwall. The seagulls sing an opera for me; I drink a few pints of dark ale in a very old pub. I end up sitting on a lonesome beach watching the sunset that is the colour of the Tudor rose. I can hear the music of Elgar lapping up with the waves; I place my hands into the sand and close my eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2012 Luke Ritta


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you for allowing me on your road trip. I was in England many times in the late seventies being so close being station in Germany. England is a special place. A lot to see and do. I saw the birth of punk rock back in my day. Europe is a treat for the mind always. Thank you for outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very nice details.

~ Scandalous

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is great!!!! such a strong travel feel to it.. for some reason i felt stonned as I read it and like I was walking around behind you in a hazy polaroid picture..... probably just me haha

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
It was amazing! It revoked the memories if the time I visited England.. Vibrant imagery and mist importantly beautiful write:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was beautiful. I felt like I was right there, and I've never even been to Europe (although I wouldn't mind going someday). I love how everything blended together: the color of the sky, the music in the background, the detailed aesthetics of the streets you walked. They all combined to create an atmosphere that you could feel in your blood. Hell, I could almost smell the alleys, side streets, and shady pubs (although, ha ha, it's probably good that I couldn't). Very immersive piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've always wanted to travel in Europe for this reason. There is something from the past that still stands, and reminds you of what once was. I guess living there, the acknowledgment of it's rich history becomes subconscious. The descriptions really brought me along with the you, and I do love to travel. So all in all, it was a nice trip :P Brilliant piece, I loved it through and through!

~Adora
xo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I adore this write, so brilliant! You always amaze me! :) and take the readers on your adventures... great mind, wonderful writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A vibrant guided tour through time, space, beauty and history all in a day's ride. Well phrased and a good illustration of what might be missed in a everyday/work-a-day mindset. Nice prose.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I adore this. I've always wanted to take a trip through England and you made me feel I have with your words. Marvelous piece!

~Anna Rose

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love of nature, love of music, love of history and love of Home. This is a beautiful love poem. And, when all the sights, sounds, smells and touches ring in true harmony, it says, quite simply, 'I love Life.'
Very cool. Had a bit of old Beat to it.
Top Shelf stuff.

Cheers!


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow felt like I was there on that road trip with you, Amazing work Luke. I loved every line and the title drew in. Masterfully done this is a fave. I have yet to visit London, and this made me yearn in that direction made me want to hit the road running, My wanderlust is in overdrive

100/100


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

782 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on January 26, 2012
Last Updated on January 26, 2012

Author

Luke Ritta
Luke Ritta

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am 26 and from London. I love writing short stories, poems and novels. My writing is a bit like Jack Kerouac and Ernest Hemingway. I love reading classic Literature, from Tolstoy to Proust, I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..