The New Pompeii

The New Pompeii

A Poem by Luke Ritta
"

A poem about consumerism.

"

The New Pompeii

 

 

The dam of consumerism has exploded!

 

Rivers of silver and gold pours into wealthy cities all over the globe. It engulfs everything in its path. The river swamps the suburbs, it glides over the cars in front of homes, the shiny metallic substance works its way through the homes covering washing machines, televisions, computers, fridges, phones and a small boy playing on his game console.

 

The river of silver and gold runs into the city centre, it paints the buildings, roads, streets, shops, restaurants, supermarkets and people with a torrent of greed. It moves its way to the government buildings and drowns the politicians very slowly as it flows up from their polished shoes to their immaculate suits and finally the shiny liquid pours down their throats and into their lungs.

 

 

 Like molten lava it swims through the high street shops smashing the windows and covering its customers. A woman is trying on a new pair of high heels (she has over 100 pairs at home) a man is trying on a new suit while talking on his mobile phone about dinner arrangements for the evening.

 

No one is saved!

 

Once the damaged is done, everything is covered in silver and gold. The morning sun beams down on the sparkling roads and rooftops. Birds fly overhead, their feathers glisten form the brilliant light down below. Cats and dogs run through the cold metallic streets, trees, plants and the rest of nature survive the rivers.

 

Everywhere is silent, no noise from the human race,

 

The money has stopped being spent!


 ©LukeRitta

© 2012 Luke Ritta


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful read. I have always enjoyed your descriptions and I dare say you have improved even more. I also really like your theme and idea, it is quite frightening to see the parallels between seemingly ancient history and our society today. My only suggestion is to clean up and deepen "...A woman is trying on a new pair of high heels (she has over 100 pairs at home) a man is trying on a new suit while talking on his mobile phone about dinner arrangements for the evening." Take it and run with it, I know you can dive into it even more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dear Luke Ritta,

What an entertaining yet thoughtful write. The imagery is pristine and clear. This reminds me of the Great Depression in which my class is beginning to cover this topic. The shop till you drop era, which I loved because it brought jazz and I love jazz.

This paints a picture of repeating history and the damage that is inflicted due to excessive spending. I don't see the idea of the richer getting richer and the poor getting poorer actually, but that just might be me. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely Livana Lowell (LL)

God bless

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is stunning, as I lived in Naples, and know Pompeï very well, you bring such a good "New Pompeï" here as a strong metaphor, whitin your writing, you make a clear point to the world, all is material, and empty-head-minded, as I always say. You're so right. The little things, and all the poverty where I've lived in was so rich actually! In Italy, but also out of my culture, and roots. I think you are one of the most richest mids on the cafe here! Thank you for sharing, such art! Into my favs! 100!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aside from a few typos, this was a solid write. Not only did I enjoy the comparison to Pompeii (many Romans were convinced that their hubris had actually caused the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, but I'm sure you already knew that), but the personification of mankind's materialistic greed as a river is quite a potent image (the river being an unstoppable force of nature). It reminded me of the 'living mirror' in Grant Morrison's comic The Invisibles (the so-called 'living mirror' was a direct influence on a scene in the first Matrix movie, in which Neo is first introduced to the Matrix by touching a mirror, which becomes fluid and overtakes his body). If you haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it. From what I've read in your collection, I think you could probably dig it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And so has debt which will bring the walls crashing down

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great wisdom can be learn from your words. Many way to kill a nation.
"Everywhere is silent, no noise from the human race,

The money has stopped being spent!"
Thank you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Very intense piece...imagery at its best

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is something which closely relates to thoughts within me. I find your structure enticing and the flow is something that guides me along fluently. There are truths though in your words. If read carefully one can find or maybe just assume that you are telling the tale of something much larger and...oh I am just failing in this comment, but anyway you have something great here. It has such style and grace.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the parallels to Pompeii. I especially love the idea that in the end everyone is frozen/entombed in this lake of gold and silver, drowned in their own decadence and consumerism. Some spelling errors, and there is a lot of repetition of the word "river" in the beginning stanza, though this may be intentional. Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

intense.

only change i would make is where it says "Once the damaged is done"
To:
Once damaged
Or:
Once the damage is done (a bit cliche)


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1225 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 28, 2012
Last Updated on May 31, 2012
Tags: life, money, society, food, drink, lava, citys, towns, countrys, the world

Author

Luke Ritta
Luke Ritta

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am 26 and from London. I love writing short stories, poems and novels. My writing is a bit like Jack Kerouac and Ernest Hemingway. I love reading classic Literature, from Tolstoy to Proust, I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..