the other side

the other side

A Poem by Lydia Shutter


artwork by bariyah25 of wordpress



i reach for the memory 
like a child reaching for candy
but it's always on the other side
the other side of morning
the other side of town
the other side of my heart
it's elusive now...sad to say
like a rose petal falling through slats of a bus bench
impossible to catch
so i get behind the wheel
drive fast to absolutely nowhere
honking the horn
trying to get its attention
but the memory is cagey
so evasive
ah, but the buzz of traffic is a sedative
and while i have no idea how or why
i am suddenly at the edge of a cliff
staring at the other side
and smiling like a fool

© 2019 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah, memory. I vaguely recalling when mine wasn't so colander like and I could recite pi to 36 digits. Now, I try to recall it and next thing I'm in the fridge wondering why I'm cutting more apple pie.
It fails us all in the end, but with such a beautiful write as this, it proves the fog lifts and let's us relive those fragments, however briefly.
Great artwork too. Very fitting.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

Smiling at your review here, Lorry. Thank you so much. Have that Apple Pie! Life is short. Lydi*.. read more



Reviews

Your poem carried me away on this pursuit, to the point where I was picturing lots of things, a mile a minute! Thinking of how ideas slip thru fingers, how intent evaporates, & how foolish grins greet the captured essence (finally!) Your imagery is so original & bright, I was in a continual state of being surprised by the ways you showed this whimsical pursuit! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

Margie, I always appreciate your in depth reviews. Thanks so much. Lydi**
I don't believe we are born with a memory.. we don't even remember the first two years and then we go to school and the teachers spend the next six years teaching us to remember.. then we turn 65 and retire.. the things we associated with that spured our memory changes and we can't remember things we used to be able to any more and we think we have lost something we never had to begin with.. or.. we get tired of being contradicted and we don't even try anymore..

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

Interesting take on it, Olla. Thank you for reading and commenting. Lydi**
olla

4 Years Ago

I completely identify with going on a mad search for.. something.. now what was it I came in here fo.. read more
Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

You are most welcome! :)
WOW! I enjoyed this write, this is so very good

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

I appreciate your words, Amy. Lydi**
That's what happens to me too.
I smiled at my past sometimes, though I weep when a sad memory struck.

The amusement of a good memory recalled my a mind leap for Joy.

Though the memory is long gone to the farthest side of the world but its present could be felt by the light-speeded wandering thought.

Well penned, Lydia.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

Thanks very much, Kay. Lydi*
it's one of those Thelma and Louise moments.. do we leap and catch the memory??? don't know about you Lydi, but I tend to slip off the edge and just before I hit bottom, I snag the memory only to be squished before I open it... but the jolt wakes me up from my daydreaming and I have forgotten to remember, so it's all good... ;0)

you really do write very "nice" poetry Lydi and I always remember to read them as they bring me such wonderful memories...

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

And they become "nice" only after you have reviewed them, my friend. Thanks so much. Lydi**
"i am suddenly at the edge of a cliff" I'm afraid a lot of us are at the edge of the cliff staring into the abyss.
Once upon a time 30 seemed so old and now...whoosh that has gone so far by that it is just a fading memory in the rear view mirror. Like a lot of seniors I have my memory moments...I liken it to a computer that has reached its limits on bites and has to make room for more.
There is always that face that was so familiar that has become dim and out of focus or the voice that doesn't quite sound the same anymore.

A good one, Lydia.



Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

Ted, thank you so much for the review and for understanding. Lydi**
Wonderful expression here Lydi**
like rose petals falling through slats of a bus bench.

As the years go by, the images of those we have loved and events become faded with time. It is difficult to see them in high definition. I was thinking this, only this morning, finding it difficult to focus on the features of my Dad's face. I had to really dip into my memory bank. I felt him slipping. Lovely work and your posted artwork an excellent choice. The lines in this poem are multi layered Lydi**, there are other ways to interpret too.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

It pleases me when people can interpret my poetry....no matter what they think the meaning is. Yes,.. read more
This is likely to have different meanings for different people. As I'm at a place in life where memories are becoming dislodged, misplaced or lost, I see the poem's narrator being like me. Sometimes I really do smile at my forgetfulness.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

We must smile, Samuel.....crying serves no purpose. Thank you for the review. Lydi**
Suddenly there's need to escape what's being hunted for... darn the waiting, darn the time passing and on that smitter voiding the memory! You write however, searching the ground that once you walked but still as stars shine, even the frustration pours out of you, sad perhaps but oh so poignantly beautiful. You can't lose, you're a winner, dear Lydi.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

4 Years Ago

You are a sweetheart, Emma. Thank you so much. Lydi**

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

378 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 6, 2019
Last Updated on August 6, 2019


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..