without the darkness

without the darkness

A Poem by Lydia Shutter
"

it's a monday sort of tuesday

"

artwork by francis picabia






the chill from a door that just wouldn't close
crashed the party that morning
it was a rocky frayed array of emotions
anchored in my ocean far too long 
oh yes, long overdue to sail away
finally in increments it inched into
the nether regions of my bruised psyche
and as dusk danced its way into the evening
i realized
without the darkness
we could never embrace the light

© 2020 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's true.
I was imagining one day the Earth is flat and we couldn't have experience
Night.
This life wouldn't be as beautiful as this. There wouldn't be night tranquility, the insects sounds would have been fairy, we won't have had the chance to enjoy the view of the fireflies, the sweet night dreams wouldn't have exist. Nature would have become somehow so boring.

Aside, for light to be called light, there must be darkness it has overcome.


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

So true, Kay....thank you for this lovely review. Lydi**
Kay Salisu Titilola

3 Years Ago

You are welcome.



Reviews

Beautiful artwork and amazing words shared.
"it was a rocky frayed array of emotions
anchored in my ocean far too long
oh yes, long overdue to sail away"
I liked the above lines dear Lydia. You told a complete story in those lines. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

John, I always appreciate your reviews. I hope all is well with you during this pandemic. Lydi**
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

I enjoyed the poem dear Lydia and I hope you are doing well.
wise words ,Lydia, without the dark there is no light, no contrast, nothing to compare some great lines of poetry in this, cool wee poem

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

I tend to write the short ones! :) Thanks so much, Gram. Lydi*
there is very little to compare to a spring mornings bright sunlight after a long cold dull winter
And another artist to investigate

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Thanks again, Dave. I try to find artwork that complements my words. It is fun for me. Lydi**
without the darkness
we could never embrace the light

Oh so true, We must acknowledge darkness as well as light,
can't have without the other....
Amazing write here. Very talented

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

You are so kind. Thank you. Lydi**
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Like they say, there is two sides of a coin, while dark balances the light, in all equilibrium, we find, it is always up to you if you are ever excessive in your darkest hour, or be at peace in between... A very expressive piece...

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

I appreciate your review, Pax. Thank you. Lydi**
Wow an awesome poem with dark soulful poignance but which ends on positive notes of light, embracing the darkness to see the light yeahh, great thoughts! Kudos for a sublime poem!

Plz Pleez do read and comment my newest poem too, right on top of my page.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Lydi*
I know what you say is true Lydi, but sometimes, I wish we could have a lot more light... of course reading your poetry always brings to light, even when they are "a rocky frayed array of emotions".... and always, always, always "nice"....

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Curt...always appreciate your "nice" comments. Lydi**
Letting go is hard and yet very vital to letting the light in. It takes time for the clouds to dispel, that ship of dark feelings to sail away and yet when it does, it paves the way for healing and for light.

"as dusk danced its way into the evening" ~ I love this line. It speaks to me of imminent joy and a celebration of love and life. As it should be.

Your poetic voice is so very gently reasoning and full of a soothing kind of touch here...

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Life should be celebrated every day no matter how dark it may seem. Thank you, Pestonjee for your l.. read more
AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Truly appreciated Ms. Lydi. It's my pleasure reading such beautiful poetry!
When the sky is the darkest, the star shines the brightest...
"by the light of the silvery moon"... these thoughts come to my mind.
It just dawned on me... if I go to sleep now... I may wake with the light of a
thousand dreams.. An Arabian night. We are going through a dark period of time; however, there is still sunrise every morning at different times.
"Darkness is the absence of light". truly, Pat


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

The 1001 stories of the Arabian nights.....you always have a good reference, Pat. Thanks so much fo.. read more
And that chill will be longed for if we ever get round to having a heatwave. Hmm, maybe notthebest example considering I'm from the frozen north, so yes, darkness and light is probably the best way to go.
Why do breezes always wait until we are sitting down before they remind us we left a door open? It's really quite rudeof them.
You're right Lydi, it is a Monday kind of Tuesday, and what's worse is, it's wednesday here now.
I really should have stayed in bed, but if I hadn't got up to shut that door, I'd have frost-bitten bits by now.
Here's hoping you get to have a Wednesday kind of Wednesday, or a Friday night party Wednesday. But not a Monday kind of Wednesday. Three Mondays in one week would be unbearable.
Now, where did I put that draught excluder?

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

Lorry, you're the best! Thank you so much. Lydi**

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

919 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2020
Last Updated on May 12, 2020


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chasing Cars Chasing Cars

A Poem by MsJewel