Fool's Round

Fool's Round

A Story by Lyfelucke
"

A story for entertainment.

"

"As a matter of fact, I bet that dog over there dog can make a shot you can't", Colty said pointing out the window to a canine on the sidewalk.

Colty was a pool player with a good amount of talent. Unfortunately for his opponent, Marcus, he was also a good con artist.

Everyone in the room turned to look at the dog.  It wasn't very large in sized. Medium sized with a mixture of brown and white, it had a resemblance of a short haired, smaller-head Lassie.  

"What? You're betting that mutt can make a shot that I can't? Are you serious right now?" Marcus asked, letting loose an annoying laugh.  "Alright, I'll take that".

Marcus was a rather big fellow and would not take losing too kindly. 

“It's a shot of my choice" Colty said placing the ball directly in the middle of the pool table.  "Make this bounce from end of the table to the other and land in the right corner pocket." 

"Easy" Marcus said feeling confident.

He had been drinking heavily for a couple of hours and Colty was hoping he was lucky enough to where Marcus wouldn't make it.  

Marcus stumbled to the table and lined up his shot.  He anticipated for a moment and then took it.  

The ball bounced off one of the table walls and missed the hole. 

Colty gave a laugh saying "Well you still have the chance to win." 

One of Marcus' flunkies walked outside, got the dog and brought it inside. When he placed it on the table, it looked confused as to what to do.    

"Hey, you. Wanna help me out here?" Colty asked the animal.  

The dog sat down and swung his tail launching the ball to bounce off of one wall and into the right corner pocket.  

Marcus was enraged. "How?" he asked, just standing there.

"I'm just lucky this animal happened by" Colty said with a smile.  

He picked the dog up and placed it back on the ground. It then ran away. 

Marcus paid Colty claiming that he probably cheated somehow. 

"Well, gentlemen, I best be off" he said slowly starting out of door. 

Once out of the house, Colty walked two blocks before ducking around a corner into an alley. He sat there for a moment before the canine that had just helped him hustle a pool game came out from under some boxes.  

"You, Sir, get better every time" Colty said petting and congratulating the animal.  

The only thing that he considered a friend took form in this medium sized dog known as Sir.  

 

 

"You know, I can make you unbeatable" a raspy voice from further in the alley. 

Colty looked around the trash bin that blocked his view.

"What?" he said, looking confused.  

"I can grant you the ability to win every time without even trying", the voice continued.  

"Ha!" Colty laughed. "I'm already the best." 

"The pompous fool themselves" the voice hissed. 

"Hey! Who are you?" he demanded as he stood up to look down the alley.  

A coat of black abyss preventing him from seeing anything lay at the end of the alley. 

A faced formed out of the darkness with a long smile spreading over its mouth. It's eyes we're an empty white.  

"What are you?" Colty asked. 

"Someone willing to lay to an accord" the face said. 

Sir barked at it ferociously.  

"What do you have to offer?" Colty questioned. 

"As stated an unbeatable status" the faced grinned.  

"Nobody would beat me?" Colty asked, face lighting up.  "Wait. What's in it for you?" 

"Just your spiritual being" the face replied.  

"What, like my soul?" Colty asked with a puzzled look. 

"Yes. The primitive associate it as the soul" the face said with a nod. 

Colty looked from the dark face to Sir and back again. Sir gave a look of uncertainty. 

"Yeah I think I'll--", he was interrupted by an old man walking by behind him on the street.

"Young man, are you alright?" he asked, looking curious. 

Colty thought for a second and said, "Yes sir, I'm alright. Just rehearsing some lines. Acting job, you know".

"Uh huh. Well whatever you're doing, give it a second thought" he said advising Colty before continuing walking down the street.  

Colty turned around to the face still being there looking him on the eye. 

"Hmm. I'll take the deal" he said looking proud.  

"Done. For the rest of your time, you will never again be beaten in the game of pool. You win without effort" the face explained before disappearing. Only the dark alley was left.  

Colty couldn't wait to use his new found skill.  He decided to go back to the game to beat Marcus again.  

After telling Sir to stay put, he ran back and burst into the house to challenge Marcus to another game. This time would be for higher stakes.

They started a game which Colty made every shot effortlessly. He could make trick shots without thought. The face was for real. He was unbeatable. 

After he had won, Marcus paid him again and wanted double or nothing.  Colty won again.  They played twice more and both Colty won with ease.  Once Marcus lost all of his money, he was already very angry.  He let Marcus leave the house again without another word.  


Colty walked the two blocks back to the alley where he had made the deal with the dark face.

Marcus followed after Colty and saw him walk into the alley.  He turned the corner to see Colty laughing and talking to the dog that had made the shot on him earlier.  

"Hey!" he yelled. "You not only made a fool of me, but you hustled me too?

"Uh, no.  What makes you say that?" Colty asked. 

Marcus stepped closer to Colty, pulling out a knife.  

"You must think I'm stupid" he said with a firm face.  

"No, but. Please--"

Marcus stabbed Colty twice in the stomach. 

As he fell to his knees, time stopped. His surroundings went completely still.

A hooded figured stepped out from the darkness in the alley. It slowly walked to Colty. 

He watched, horrified as this hooded figure turned to looked at him. Its face wasn't visible to him. 

"Time to pay your debt" it said, placing disfigured hand on Colty's head.  

The figure then pulled the metaphysical spirit from Colty's body and placed it a smokey glass bottle.  



Marcus watched Colty fall to his knees on the ground. Smiling at what he had just done, he cleaned the knife with one of his men's shirts.  He took the money Colty had won and said, "Come on, let's go". 

The same old man that had passed the alley earlier, was once again passing by on his way home.  

He saw Sit sitting on top of the trash bin looking at Colty lying face down on the ground. 

"I told him to give it a second thought" the old man said.  "Come on, Sir". 

With that, the dog jumped down and trotted over to the man. 

"You know, you run with interesting friends" the old man said as they disappeared around the corner and down the side walk.  

© 2012 Lyfelucke


Author's Note

Lyfelucke
This one may also still have a few mistakes. If you see what I don't, please let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 7, 2012
Tags: Pool

Author

Lyfelucke
Lyfelucke

Russellville, AR



About
I like writing. Obviously, or I would not be here. more..

Writing
Indian Giver Indian Giver

A Story by Lyfelucke