Coming Out

Coming Out

A Chapter by Lynx_x
"

Coming out is the phrase used to describe the process of someone who is gay, lesbian or bisexual being open with the people around them about their sexuality or gender identity.

"

Coming out is the phrase used to describe the process of someone who is gay, lesbian or bisexual being open with the people around them about their sexuality or gender identity.

This can be a difficult process for people and they may be worried that others will treat them differently once they know. Even though it can be scary, most people feel coming out is important as it means they can be honest about how they feel and not keep an important part of their life hidden.


Getting to know yourself

One of the first steps of coming out is acknowledging to yourself what your sexual preference is. This may sound really obvious, but for lots of people admitting to themselves that they are gay, bisexual, lesbian or transgender can be hard for many reasons. It could be because they have been brought up to think that being gay is wrong, or because they are worried about being teased or bullied. If you're not sure if you're gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, you may find it helpful to talk to someone you trust about your feelings.


Who to tell?

When you're first coming out the most sensible option is to tell someone who you trust and who will be supportive and understanding. It will help if they are someone who can keep a secret, as you may not want other people finding out before you feel comfortable about your sexuality or gender identity. This person could be a close friend or relative. Or if you're younger, it could be a trusted adult, such as a teacher or youth worker.


Will it change things?

Hopefully, coming out will change your life for the better, as you won't feel there's a big part of you that people don't know about. Many people say they feel relieved that they can be open about how they feel. However, there can be a downside to coming out. You may come across people, including friends and family, who are homophobic (prejudiced against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people). They might make you feel angry, upset or scared. You might experience discrimination. This is why it can be helpful to tell a small group of trusted people first. That way you will feel supported and have people to talk to about the reactions you may face.


Take your time

Remember, if you're not sure how you feel about your sexuality or gender identity, there's no hurry to make your mind up or tell people. Coming out is an individual decision and it's important to do it in your own way and in your own time



© 2012 Lynx_x


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on August 7, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012
Tags: sex, health, glbt, lgbt, coming out, sexual orientation, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender


Author

Lynx_x
Lynx_x

MILFORD HAVEN, Pemprokeshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Black & White Black & White

A Poem by Lynx_x


FAQ FAQ

A Chapter by Lynx_x