The Chair

The Chair

A Story by M. Charles
"

The Chair is a first-person short story which tells the story of a man on death row. The story goes through the final five days of his life, ending with him in the chair. Copyright © 2016 M. Charles

"

          Day 3650

I can barely remember the days any more, it could be day seven hundred and four or day four thousand. The truth is the days began to blur into a single stretch some time ago, perhaps that's why they call it 'a stretch', or perhaps it's just sick irony - because stretch (my legs at least) is one thing I can't do much of. But, my mind, my mind stretches, and on bad days, this place stretches it, too; it twists me, distorts the world around me, and blends me within the walls.

Today I woke up screaming, drenched in sweat, and surrounded by demons. The demons teased me with the outside world; they made me see it, they made me feel it. And I did, I remember it clearly, it's the reason I woke up screaming and drenched in sweat: freshly cut grass scattered with daisies.

I am long past reviving images of essentials such as fried egg and roasted chicken. These days (or rather, nights) all I have to look forward to is nightmares filled with, what I would have called insignificant memories, but, which now feel grossly critical. The easiest way I know of surviving this hell is to rid your mind of all that was and all that could be. Desires bring only dread, happiness only sorrow, and memories only pain. Instead, I escape, I escape this prison because they will never imprison my daydreams; my daydreams are all I have, they are the only way out.

I have little interaction with other inmates, guards, or otherwise, I have no access to educational or employment programs of any kind, therefore, I hold in my hand, not a pen, and I write to you now, not on paper, but rather, I write to you in my dreams, my daydreams. You see, it's how I stay sane, I write novels in my head, or rather, I wrote novels, but there's little time left, so, I shall write daily logs until the end. I can't remember much of what I wrote before, even in this place, even with nothing else to occupy your time, still, it is hard to keep track, and hard to remember. But, let it never be said that I lost hope - that I gave up. I will never give up. Never.


© 2016 M. Charles


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like that this piece is about time/awareness or lack thereof by the inmate and his survival and not about the reason the inmate is incarcerated. You have humanized the inmate who is experiencing an inhumane existence. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. Charles

7 Years Ago

Not sure what you are trying to say with regards to your remarks on spirituality and religion, I mer.. read more
Kami

7 Years Ago

I was merely letting you know from what context my viewpoint was coming from- spirituality, not reli.. read more
M. Charles

7 Years Ago

I see, well, progress of a kind, as they say. I myself see no reason for religion whatsoever.
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
1 Review
Added on September 4, 2016
Last Updated on September 4, 2016
Tags: shortstory, short, story, first-person, prison, helpless, log, diary, deathrow, thriller, chair

Author

M. Charles
M. Charles

England, United Kingdom



About
more..