Chapter III

Chapter III

A Chapter by Miki

I reach for my purse, which is sitting on my desk. The phone gave me a start when it began ringing---Ring ring ring ring. I snatch my purse and peek my head out of my room. "The phone? What the---" Ring ring ring. "Okay, okay! I'm comin'! Geez."

Still clutching my purse, I trot down the stairs and grab the phone off it's holder. I place the phone next to my ear, "Yo. Amy Lynn here."

Silence greets me in answer through the speaker.

"Hello?" I set my bag down on the floor next to the foot of the table.

Silence.

"If you don't speak up now, I'll hang up..."

More silence.

"Okaaaay... Bye then." I say into the phone. I pause before taking the speaker from my ear; I can hear breathing on the other line. Quiet, yet heavy breathing. A deep breath. Exhaling.

"Hello, Amy." The voice was a rough whisper.

I don't recognize the voice. Maybe I should, I don't know why though. "Hey, so, what's up? Something I can help you with?"

"No."

"No?"

I can hear him breathing still; at least I think it's a he.

"Hello?"

"Did you get a package today?"

"Yes? Why?"

Click. Beeeep beeeep beeeep beeeep...

I pull the phone from my ear and stare at it; I cautiously place it back on the receiver. I wandered into the kitchen without realizing it. Before I know it, I've bent over and picked up the knife that was knocked on the floor this morning. I'm drifting over to the box with the blade. I spin the box around, there's no return address, nothing was written on it besides "To: Amy Lynn" in a dark red color. I run the blade over the tape; setting the knife down nearby, I begin prying the box open. Inside, there was plenty of packaging popcorn fluff. I dig around until my fingers come in contact with something that doesn't feel like styrofoam. I push the fluff away, revealing something wrapped in a cloth. I lift it out of the box, pushing the cardboard filled with packaging aside. I place the cloth on the counter and gently unwrap it. Inside is, what looks to be, a thick book manuscript. The bundle is flecked with the same dark red color as my name was written in on the box. The manuscript is a thick collection of lightly faded printed papers bound together by some kind of strong, yet thin, wire or string of some kind. It almost looked brand new even; someone had crossed out the title multiple times, making it impossible to read. Below the illegible title was a slightly faded name typed with black printer ink: Henry Johnson.

I place the manuscript back in the box, close it up, and snatch my purse up off the counter. I grab the house keys off the key hook at the front door and stuff them in my bag.



© 2012 Miki


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on January 9, 2012
Last Updated on January 9, 2012


Author

Miki
Miki

Mount Vernon, WA



About
Hi. :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Best custom homepage ---------------------------------------------------------------------- By CustomHome.. more..

Writing
Alive Alive

A Story by Miki