The Dichotomy of Technology

The Dichotomy of Technology

A Story by Mustafa Abuhamdeh
"

It has become common knowledge to say technology is a double-edged sword. However, there are remaining aspects that are still unspoken and unheard of. How can technology expose out profound insecurity

"

Life has elevated too far since the advent of technological advancement. Nowadays, ancient fantasies have become quotidian used utensils such as planes capable of travelling at speeds up to Mach 6.7*, and vociferously interactive androids able to converse with Human beings, we are even able to conceptualize the idea of colonizing a whole new world in the next hundred years. It would be foolish to dispute the astuteness of humankind after such abrupt and acute technical progression in such an infinitesimal period.


However, with the comfort of using a button to initiate the ignition of a car engine--and owning a device able to communicate with anyone, anywhere at any time, also came an overabundance of insecurities or instead gave birth to means upon which these insecurities can act on.

Basically, any sole being has various insecurities, some are scarce--yet very docile, such as assuring one's hair is in the right style, or a gentle worry if they appear in a particular way or not. While some are rather common--yet so perilous, capable of bringing one a life of burden and constant misery or bringing it an awful, suicidal end.


With the rise of the internet, the urge committing to live a life of absolute social acceptance grew furiously, exclusively amongst the youth, our egoic appetite for compliments became conscious and apparent. A surplus sum of websites is devising variant means for that purpose, some would allow the users to create an account with their name to ask or receive question anonymously. Cases happened where two close friends or rather intimate couples would attempt to inquire about each other using the incognito mode; they would ask things such as “Why do love him/her, they are so unbearable?” or “Your close friend is such a jerk! How could you talk to them?” because they desperately need an iota of public evidence to themselves and to the world of how much their significant other or lifetime friend appreciates them.


Inquiries following the pattern of “Do you like John?” would be made by Mr. John anonymously multiple times to all his friends using the site to give him the sense of serenity and comfort that he wanted and admired; if an otherwise response were to be given to him, his day would immediately and most fatally collapse into an unending loop of depression. Our abhorrent of the truth became so intense that if so it was uttered--in some cases it could drive a human into taking their own lives.


Each individual you cross comes stuffed with sets of wants and needs which were given birth by their unique experiences. It’s indisputable that a considerable sum of the people you approach in your daily life might not like you so much, and it’s foolishly naïve to imagine otherwise, yet what’s so wrong with that? Being disliked is one amongst the endless other things that we think of as gloomy, yet in fact, is very admirable, for the sole purpose that through being disliked we discover what type of people we are and what needs and wants we require. A thing aside from being liked that’s more suitable to be urged is respect.

To commit a life not for obtaining social approval, but for calmness and peacefulness, uninterrupted by the constant noise seeking the false sense of security by demanding love and admiration from all you meet. To respect your needs and wants and henceforth respect others.


To live truthfully respectable rather than erroneously admired.

© 2018 Mustafa Abuhamdeh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on May 21, 2018
Last Updated on May 22, 2018
Tags: Insecurity, Technology, Culture, Psychology