Power of the Famous

Power of the Famous

A Story by Mar
"

I wouldn't necessarily refer to this as a story. This is simply something that came to mind and I believed it would be nice to share my thoughts amongst others. Thank you!

"
What good is fame, what good is fortune
When it isn’t being put to use by gracious intent?
There are troubling things that should receive awareness. As commoners express their own valued opinions, those things continue to remain hidden by the shade. Light may be shed upon them if, and only if, the famous speak about it.
We witness it. We live it. We see it every single day of our lives. But yet we live in denial of our own reality.
It takes Patricia Arquette to mention wage equality at the Oscar Awards, Emma Watson to give a speech regarding feminism to the UN, Beyoncé to write an essay on gender equality after the Shriver Report found that 42 million women in the US are either living in or close to living in poverty, Lena Dunham to encourage women to take pride in feminism and to stop being so reluctant to label themselves as feminists during an interview.
As soon as these influential, and evidently famous women spoke up.. the causes gain thousands of supporters within a matter of seconds. What about the millions of women who have devoted their whole entire lives to eliminate gender discrimination? Those women mean something. They stand for something. Except, they aren’t heard. Why? Because they don’t have such an audience, nor do they have the ability to persuade minds that have no interest in being persuaded. The point is Patricia Arquette, Emma Watson, Beyoncé Knowles, Lena Dunham, amongst other celebrities, have set an example. They are the people that the newer generations are paying attention to. They are the individuals that have the spotlight on them. And they are the ones who are using that spotlight to send a message. Whatever the message may be, feminism is just one of the many things that should be spoken about, it must be said!
A person like me can only do so much like make a post on tumblr. Meanwhile, a person with a large fan base and control of media can tweet about anything and have thousands and thousands of people follow up on it.
Use fame for purpose, not superficial aspects in life.

© 2015 Mar


Author's Note

Mar
I'd like to clarify that even though I emphasized on feminism, this can be extended to absolutely any cause that should receive awareness. I chose to speak about feminism because of how controversial it has become and I, as a woman and feminist, am proud of identifying myself as one. Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on April 11, 2015
Last Updated on April 11, 2015
Tags: Feminism, Rant, Women, Fame, Awareness

Author

Mar
Mar

NY



About
I wouldn't categorize myself under a specific genre. I have always enjoyed writing from a very young age. I tend to write whatever comes to mind, whether it be a personal poem or a rant about feminism.. more..