Bad Afternoon

Bad Afternoon

A Story by MR_BREAZE
"

Life of a Soldier after the war is over. The picture is called "Big Sunset Over Iraq". I took it myself.

"

  

I had a bad afternoon old friend. I went my niece’s graduation. Yes, it was the crowd. I was a little nervous about the whole thing, but true to form I sucked it up and drove on. I was OK. We sat high up, so I felt I could keep an eye out. Nobody was really moving around. I got in a comfort zone and everything was cool.

After the ceremony, however, things went bad for me. People were moving everywhere and I could not keep track. We went outside. I wanted to make a beeline to the truck, but the wife want to wait on the rest of the family. I kept my cool. I made my way to the wall of the building. I was able to maintain my cool to the point my wife never notice I was on the razor's edge.

As more of the family found us, we began to move from my "safe" spot on the wall. I held it together, barely. I found I could not stand still. I paced from side to side. I felt like I was in the open, exposed, and at risk from an unseen, unnamed aggressor. My eyes were scanning everywhere from behind my sunglasses.

Christi talked with her family for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only a few minutes. It was decided we all were going to eat. That was all I needed to hear. I grasped my daughters hand as the wife took my son's, and walked as quickly as one can with a two year old in tow.

As we came closer to the car, I realized I was shacking. I put my baby girl in her set. I informed Christi she was driving. I was afraid if I drove I would wreck.

I sat in my set shacking like leaf. I realize I was breathing hard, but not for the walk over. I am not for sure, but I think, at some point, I began holding my breath.

Finally, Christi figured out something I was not copacetic. She started trying to talk me down.

On the ride to eat, we had to stop and wait for a train. I saw squirrels playing in the trees. Every time they moved, my eye jumped to the movement as if on auto pilot. I told my wife the only thing that was go to help me was to get the car moving (I said it nice I promise). We started moving; I started to calm.

The restaurant was crowded but I was able to find spot in the back AGAINST THE WALL.

I have often been on edge in crowds in the last 2 years I have been home from war, but nothing like today.

Once a counselor asked my wife has she grieved for the man I once was and am no more. I wonder should I grieve for that man also. In some way, I feel like a part of me died and I never knew it.

 

© 2012 MR_BREAZE


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it! I love your descriptions, and how you could portray your emotions so easily without overdoing it. Wonderfull. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this man. A lot of Emotion was poor into this poem. This is great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good job man.keep writing more

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

332 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 7, 2012
Tags: Soldier, life, living, war, PTSD, Iraq

Author

MR_BREAZE
MR_BREAZE

AL



About
I write poems, stories, and songs. I am captivated by what can be expressed with the written word. more..

Writing
Unpeaceful Unpeaceful

A Poem by MR_BREAZE