Letter to My Teacher

Letter to My Teacher

A Story by Marianne Rose
"

Written in the wake of political and religious confusion, this is a letter to my spiritual teacher, and I post it to share my journey with you.

"
I stand before you, Teacher, wanting nothing more than to learn my lessons well. Hidden in a soul that contemplates nature, humankind, my own place here, I ponder your riddles and parables, study your movements in your own life and times, draw strength from those who followed you. I am often called an enigma by my friends. They do not understand how closely I cling to your words and modeling. They do not feel your spirit which draws me to distinctive paths, to paradoxes and contradictions I cannot in my own wisdom understand.

In my own era, I seek to put my understanding of how you lived your life into my words and actions. Your teachings may have survived your mortal life, but traveling through generations, they are shaped by human hands that wrote them down, and minds that argue at their meaning. Still, I ask myself questions when I ponder what you would do, if you lived today.

I see you in the presentation of different lives across centuries. In the ones like Francesco of Assisi who cast off riches for poverty, called the natural world to him like an animal whisperer, and then built a following of devoted monks and sisters. In those like Mohandas K. Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. who embraced nonviolent civil disobedience as a means of freeing people. In the kindness and wisdom of Parmahansa Yogananda, Theresa of Calcutta and Siddhartha Gautama; the devotion and calling of Thich Nhat Hanh and the 14th Dalai Lama; the simplicity and innocence of Therese of Liseaux. And in the mystical awareness of so many others who placed love at the center of their lives.

As your student and devotee, I seek to understand who I am, and who I am not.

I am not wealthy, though I do not judge those who are. You accepted the poor and the rich, though you spoke to some that riches would deter them from their spiritual course.

I am not one who embraces the protective or powerful weaponry available to us. You used words as your weapons against those who sought to overpower or distort your message. Only once that we know of did you allow your ire to rise to the point of action- and then it was to restore the sacred in a place that you felt had been defiled. There is no record that you physically hurt anyone that day, or any other time in your life.

I am not one to let my mouth slander others, either directly or behind the back. I may not know how to love my enemies when they stand before me, but your message to do so was direct and clear.

I am not one to harm, ignore or exploit children. You said these innocent ones were at the center of your world, and warned us away from leading them into danger or ignoring their needs.

I am not one to strike another, even in self-righteousness. You told and showed me to bear the blows, letting the essential spirit within maintain its integrity no matter what happens to the body.

I cannot see either of us . . .
-- holding a machete, handgun or AK47.
-- amassing such wealth on the backs of others or on false pretenses that we would stand above all who you call blessed.
-- exploiting another to serve our own greed, lust or hubris.
-- turning away the lost, discarded, sick, elderly, poor or unsheltered without providing for their basic needs.
-- creating a command system that could result in destroying an entire country or race with a sovereign order to launch bombs - or one high-yield one.
-- teaching that beauty on the outside is more important than inner beauty.

Can I picture you using modern technology to spread your message rather than having direct relationships with others?
Can I see you forming a movement to overthrow a current government?
Can I envision you putting anyone to death, or rounding up a certain group that disagreed with you, or depriving any of us of the freedom to speak, or worship, or choose, regardless how you believed?

You let us make our mistakes, then you quickly forgive them.
You call me to forgive also-- all the frailty and disease that impairs our search for you. Our search for the one you called Father.

We all play our parts in this great story. But my part is clear . . .
You loved me enough to show me your life and times, the harshness of it, the gentle ways, the premonitions that you had of how difficult life would be following you. No matter what era I was born into.

You said I would do greater things than you . . .
Greater than healing people? Greater than bringing someone back from the dead? Greater than casting out demons? Greater than your stories to teach others how you live your life? Greater than serving your own followers, and teaching them to do the same for others?
. . . I can't fathom that this is true. But if you believe it, I must consider it as a possibility.

Finally then, Teacher, let me play my part well. If I am to wholeheartedly follow you, let me always ask what you would do if you lived now and walked among us. As for me and my house, we will always seek to serve your spirit and truth.

If any of these words offend, then let the light of your love shine through.


© 2016 Marianne Rose


Author's Note

Marianne Rose
Many people nowadays worldwide are connecting faith and governance. My own Teacher was misunderstood as a kingly power when he walked the earth, when instead he came to teach a particular way of love that was spiritual in nature, but that could inform how we treat each other. I am human, so I can't help but be angered when others of my own faith misrepresent his teachings. For more information on what love really is in the context of how we treat each other, I invite you to read the New Testament, I Corinthians chapter 13. This is the discerning test of love that I apply to my own words and actions and the words and actions of others. Please feel free to discourse with me - understanding that this letter I share is between my Teacher and I - and not an attempt to convert you, just to be understood for who I am and who I am not.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is beautiful.
I have always been a believer, yet I have struggled to incorporate faith into my daily life. Many times I forget to pray, and push God aside, always saying it'll happen another day.
But this served as a gentle reminder that I can practice my faith and learn from God's teachings in my everyday life. Always remembering to be kind to others and forgive those who have made mistakes.
Thank you for your reminder to thank God today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Sarah, for visiting and reflecting on this, and sharing your struggles and faith. It is s.. read more



Reviews

This is very touching and amazing. I understand where you are coming from with this story. Keep on writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

I thought you would Kasey, you know from that deeper place, don't you? Thanks for visiting and readi.. read more
Kasey M.C.

7 Years Ago

Yes, I do. No problem.
This is beautiful.
I have always been a believer, yet I have struggled to incorporate faith into my daily life. Many times I forget to pray, and push God aside, always saying it'll happen another day.
But this served as a gentle reminder that I can practice my faith and learn from God's teachings in my everyday life. Always remembering to be kind to others and forgive those who have made mistakes.
Thank you for your reminder to thank God today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Sarah, for visiting and reflecting on this, and sharing your struggles and faith. It is s.. read more
This is touching!!!

I'm stunned by the truthful way you have expressed your heart... His teachings never taught us to fight, instead it taught us to show love, where today's world of human changed His teaching and converted it that we need to fight with one another to earn our place on this earth... We value outside beauty more than the inner beauty...

How Sincerely you have presented the message... It's a refreshing write at this present situation of the world where His teachings are being used in the wrong by some wrong minded people...

But I know in my heart He will arrive again to save our world from this evil... He knows what He is doing...

So beautiful my dear, I'm always filled with faith and wisdom after visiting your pages... Thank you so much...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend. We each carry our faith differently, yet I believe the truth is founded.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

445 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on August 1, 2016
Tags: Spiritual, path, wisdom, truth, love

Author

Marianne Rose
Marianne Rose

Santa Rosa, CA



About
Recently retired from a Community College as an Employment Advisor and Program Developer - such inspiring, hopeful work. New dreams of futures born out of loss and confusion stimulate the writer in me.. more..

Writing