I need help

I need help

A Story by Morgan Yai

Wanting to leave, but knowing you can't, might just be one of the worst feelings in the whole of the universe. Not that I have much experience with anything outside of Kansas City, but sometimes I pretend I've traveled the world. I go lots of places. India, China, Canada, Australia, and even the moon or Mars! I love diving to the bottom of the ocean or flying so high in the sky that everyone looks like itty bitty ants scurrying around with no real purpose. No purpose at all. I've often that I have no purpose here, where I am, wherever that may be. I don't belong. I've wanted to leave. But I never can. I'm trapped.
Everyone always tells me something different. Maybe they are all right, or maybe all wrong. Maybe whatever I decide is right, is, and what I say isn't right, isn't. But I wouldn't want that kind of power. I wouldn't want the world on my shoulders because that would only hold me down. You can't go places when you are carrying millions of tons along with you. Maybe that's why I'm still here. Because I am trying to carry millions of tons with me. I want to save the world. I want to solve that tedious problem that is inside of every single person on this earth. But then I can't move. And if I can't move, I can never save them. It's a never ending, perpetual, paradoxical loop.
I met someone this morning. I don't remember who, but I remember something. This person said something that meant something to me. It made me stop and think, and when I thought, I realized that everyone needs help. Of course, I knew that. I knew that everyone needed help and I wanted to help them all! But, each person needs help. Not just everyone, each person. Each person is different and thinks different and knows different things, and each person needs help differently. I never realized that before. I never realized that each person needs help.
This morning, I went on a walk. There was a bus station and someone was lying down. They were lying down and looked sad. I stopped right in front of them and they said to me, they said, "I need help." And I turned away. I kept walking past the bus stop. I walked straight home. As I walked, I thought. I thought about the world and the way we all say we care, but maybe the only ones who aren't lying are the ones who say they don't care at all.
Everyone needs help. Each person needs help. But no one wants to help that person. No, they want to help everyone. It is easy to put money in a box at Christmas time when the person from Salvation Army is ringing the bell outside of the store. It is easy to put a dollar in the box. But when we see the person that needs help, do we put a dollar in their box? Do we take the time to help a person, or do we take a little time to help people?
This afternoon, I went on another walk. I wanted to find a person. Maybe if I can help one person, that can be enough, and I can take this weight off of me. Maybe I won't need to leave then. 
I went to the bus stop. A lot of people come here. A lot of people who need help and a lot of people who could help, but they only want to help people. Not a person. I was sitting on the bench there, and it was raining. Someone came and sat down next to me. I though maybe they need help. They asked me "How are you?" and I said "I am good. I am waiting for someone to help." I said "Do you need help?" They said "Sure, I could use some help. I often see homeless people sitting at bus stops. They always look lonely and sad, but I never know what to do? What do you think?" I said "Well, maybe they want someone to talk to or maybe if it is raining like now, they would want a umbrella. Or they would want food because usually they are hungry. Does that help?" They said "That does help. Thank you so much for talking to me. This is my bus, but here, I have an umbrella I won't use. And in my backpack I have a few granola bars. It isn't much, but I hope it will help." They gave me a umbrella and three granola bars, and they waved goodbye to me when they got on the bus. Maybe some people do want to help a person. I think I don't have to leave.
At home, I ate one granola bar, and tomorrow I will go to my friend's house and give one to him. He can't see very well and sometimes people take his money. I think he could use a granola bar.

© 2019 Morgan Yai


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Neat little story. I like the themes present throughout. It doesn't, however, feel like a proper story, more of ideas forced together on the page. I know all too well what it's like to make something like that. I'm very guilty of writing just for the sake of writing, regardless of the coherency.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Morgan Yai

8 Years Ago

Yeah, I'm planning on revising it. I wrote the first two paragraphs a little while ago and just rece.. read more



Reviews

Neat little story. I like the themes present throughout. It doesn't, however, feel like a proper story, more of ideas forced together on the page. I know all too well what it's like to make something like that. I'm very guilty of writing just for the sake of writing, regardless of the coherency.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Morgan Yai

8 Years Ago

Yeah, I'm planning on revising it. I wrote the first two paragraphs a little while ago and just rece.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on March 3, 2019