Chapter (1) HIPPOS LIKE WATER. DON'T THEY ?

Chapter (1) HIPPOS LIKE WATER. DON'T THEY ?

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN
"

Kubu learns to like water.

"




 Hippo

 In a jungle, deep in Africa, where the Mara river flows,

Where the flowers smell sweet, and the green grass grows.

a monkey cools his hairy knees, as a Bong tree sways in the light summer breeze.

 

Below the tree in a shady spot, to stop his skin from getting hot,

Kubu the Hippo quite round and grey, just sits and watches his friends at play.

He says he's hiding from the sun, but he's afraid to join their fun.

His friends would like to play with him, but Kubu thinks he cannot swim.

 

Poor Kubu's mum was sad to see, her son, just sit beneath the tree.

She tries and tries to coax him in, but he is too afraid to swim.

His friends they jump and splash and play, and not get out 'till end of day.

But Kubu just watched them while he sat, then rearranged his big sun hat.

 

Now a Hippo needs to eat a lot, and feed at night when it's not hot.

One night young Kubu stayed behind, to see if courage he could find.

On the river's edge he's feeling good, as he stomps his feet in icky mud.

I like this mud young Kubu cried, and he felt quite brave that he had tried.

 

The icky mud it stuck like glue, to Kubu's feet, Oh what to do ?

It was then he heard his mother's voice, and knew that now he had no choice.

He had to wash his muddy feet, but slipped and landed on his seat.

Then he slipped and slid in slippery mud, this is fun he cried, and I feel good.

 

So feeling brave he stepped right in until the water touched his chin

He splashed about and gave a wave, to his mum who watched her son so brave.

I'm really proud she called to him, to see my son now he can swim.

Now young Kubu likes to play, with his friends in water every day.

 

Copyright 2014. C. Tilley



© 2019 MAD ENGLISHMAN


Author's Note

MAD ENGLISHMAN
ALL COMMENTS ACCEPTED.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, lets do this again. Comments disappeared? It is a great metaphor for life, challenges, fear and it read also like a clever, cute and interesting prose/story. The way you got the Hippo to the edge, the independence factor was wonderful. A great poem. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


It is a great metaphor for life, but at the same time a wonderful story/prose that is uplifting and so encouraging, clever and sweet. I really enjoyed it. Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

9 Years Ago

A wonderful review.Thank you so much.
Confuser

9 Years Ago

You are welcome. Loved it.
hehe that was very cute work, its wonderfully done, :) Keep up this work:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

9 Years Ago

Many thanks for the encouragement.
stars are far

9 Years Ago

always my pleasure
so cute! Sounds so sweet and innocent, reminds me of us all being kids. All afraid, but we somehow take that first plunge in. The first step is always the hardest, but once you make it through, the rest will do it's job for you. A great poem, as always!

Posted 9 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

9 Years Ago

Many thanks for a great review.
This is so sweet and very cool! Definitely a great children's story! My boy would've adored this when he was younger. He thinks it's funny now and wanted to know if there were more like this!

Posted 9 Years Ago


MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Cool. My son like this so much he wanted more. I let him read the zebra; he liked it but liked this .. read more
MAD ENGLISHMAN

9 Years Ago

I'm so pleased your son likes it. It is aimed for children after all. It means I must be getting som.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

I'm sure he'll love the piece about the chimp. He was quite taken with chimps and apes when he was y.. read more
Many peopel are like this young hippo--afraid to try what should come naturally. Sometimes it's necessary to go in little by little.

It's known aw "getting your feet wet."

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1126 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 10, 2014
Last Updated on July 23, 2019
Tags: childrens poems, funny, humor, Africa, Swimming, Hippo, jungle


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing