REGGIE GOES FISHING

REGGIE GOES FISHING

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN

Reggie the Rescue Lorry goes fishing.

 

It was a lovely sunny morning in Jolly Town and Reggie the Rescue Lorry was waiting in his yard. The rescue man who looks after Reggie came into the yard.

“Good morning Reggie.” Said the rescue man.

“Honk honk.” Said Reggie.

“Oh what a lovely sunny morning.” Said the rescue man. The rescue man was holding a long thin bag and a small wicker basket. Wicker is a type of very strong grass and can be used to make all sorts of useful things. 

“Honk honk.” Said Reggie again.

The Rescue man put the long thin bag and the wicker basket into Reggie’s big toolbox. Then the rescue man climbed into the Reggie’s cab and turned the key to start Reggie’s engine.

“Brmmmm rmmmm rmmmm.” Said Reggie, as they drove out of the yard and set off down the road.

Soon Reggie and the rescue man arrived at a humpy bridge over a river. Some ducks were swimming on the river. Reggie stopped in a parking place at the side of the road.

The rescue man took the long thin bag and the wicker basket out of the toolbox.

“It’s a perfect day to go fishing.” Said the rescue man. Reggie watched the rescue man open the long thin bag and take out 3 long bits of wood. The rescue man fastened the bits of wood together to make a long fishing rod. Then the rescue man opened the wicker basket and took out a shiny fishing reel. The rescue man fixed the fishing reel to one end of the long fishing rod. Then the rescue man put a piece of bread onto the hook and lowered his fishing line down into the water.

“Let’s see what we can catch.” Said the rescue man.

“Honk honk.” Said Reggie. A few minutes later the rescue man said.

“I think I’ve caught a fish.”

“Honk honk honk.” Said Reggie excitedly.

The rescue man tried to lift the fish out of the water but it was too heavy.

“My goodness this fish is too heavy. I think I need some help to lift it out of the water.”  Said the rescue man.

Reggie moved up onto the humpy bridge to see if he could help.

“It must be a very big fish.” Said the rescue man. Reggie thought for a minute and then he had an idea. Reggie began to lower his big yellow hook down into the water.

Soon the big yellow hook was deep in the river and Reggie began to move it slowly from side to side.

“What a good idea.” Said the Rescue man.

“Honk honk.” Said Reggie.

“I think you’ve caught it.” Said the rescue man. Reggie started to bring his big yellow hook back up.

“Goodness me.” Said the rescue man. “What have we caught?”

Reggie slowly lifted his hook out of the water and the rescue man began to laugh. Can you guess what Reggie had caught? Hanging on the yellow hook was a rusty old bicycle.

“Oh dear me.” Said the rescue man. “I wonder who was so silly to throw a bicycle into the river?” 

“Hoooooonkkk.” Said Reggie

Reggie lowered the old bicycle onto his trailer.

“Well done Reggie.” Said the rescue man.

The rescue man put a new piece of bread onto his hook and started fishing again. In no time at all he had another fish on his hook. This time the rescue man pulled a pretty, shiny fish out of the water. Reggie thought it looked very pretty and shiny too. The rescue man put the fish back into the river. Soon the rescue man placed the fishing rod and the wicker basket back into the Reggie’s toolbox.

“We’ve had a wondeful day fishing, and now I think it’s time to go home.” Said the rescue man.

“Honk honk.” Said Reggie.

When they arrived back in Jolly town, Reggie drove straight to the Police station. The rescue man told the Policeman about the bicycle and then they drove back to the yard.

“It has been a lovely day today.” Said the Rescue man.

 “Hoooonnk.” Said Reggie.



© 2018 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, that was...different. Dunno what, but definitely unusual.
I definitely think kids would enjoy this. It's a very sweet story. If my grandchildren were here, I'd read it to them.

Posted 5 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

5 Years Ago

Well thank you so much. I've been working on a series of books for younger kids. I'm trying to get a.. read more
angel

5 Years Ago

No but I will.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

576 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 24, 2018
Last Updated on September 24, 2018


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing