A Growing Threat: CRE World's Deadliest Superbug

A Growing Threat: CRE World's Deadliest Superbug

A Story by MadisonReneNeal
"

As a growing threat arises, doctors and researchers are having trouble keeping it under control. CRE, one of the world's deadliest superbugs.

"

A Growing Threat: CRE World's Deadliest Superbug

                Today, antibiotics cure just about any sickness there has ever been; that even includes one of the world’s deadliest diseases which is Ebola. In fact Ebola is nearly eradicated now, however, Ebola would still be around if it weren’t for antibiotics. But what if antibiotics didn’t cure a certain disease, furthermore, a superbug?

                CRE or carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, meaning that it nearly resistant to carbapenem. Carbapenem (carb-a-pen-ems) is an antibiotic used to treat known or suspected to be the bacteria known as Multidrug-Resistant bacteria (MDR). Carbapenem is also known as the “Last Resort Drug”. Enterobacteriaceae (Enter-O-Bacteria-A-C) is large family of bacteria usually found in the gastrointestinal tract that are Gram-negative. All together CRE is a family of bacteria that is resistant to the drug carbapenem; two bacterium that are in the Enterobacteriaceae family are, Klebsiella species and Escherichia coli (E. coli).

Is CRE resistant to all Antibiotics?

                CRE isn’t completely immune to all antibiotics, however there are only a few that fight the bacteria. In some cases there has been reports that the bacteria was completely immune to all antibiotics which means there is really no other way to fight the bacteria other than draining the abscess. By doing that bacteria will be extracted from the body, but in most cases it does not fully ‘clear’ the body of the superbug. Researchers believe the reason Enterobacteriaceae and other diseases are resistant to the drugs is because we overuse antibiotics. By doing this, these pathogens have adapted to the antibiotics and are highly resistant against them now. If you do have CRE and take antibiotics that do not affect the Enterobacteriaceae; it will kill the good bacteria in your body, then making it easier for the CRE to multiply. So, the CDC warns you to not overuse antibiotics and only use them If truly necessary.

What are the symptoms?

            Symptoms vary from organ to organ. It really all depends on the patient because each and every patient is different and has different symptoms. CRE can infect organs like the lungs or bladder, so symptoms for each will vary. However, there are common symptoms that may occur in all patients. Fever and chills may be a sign of CRE, but don’t jump to conclusion if you do have these symptoms. Also look for sores that have not healed that were treated with over the counter antibiotics. Look for fever, lethargy, swelling, redness, and sores under the skin. Remember that every person varies, so symptoms in each may be different. The CDC advises that if you see these consistent symptoms, you should see your doctor for further examination.

 

How do you contract CRE?

                Luckily, you cannot get CRE by getting coughed on or sneezed on. CRE is generally contracted in hospitals or health care places. In order to get it you must touch another person or thing that is already infected with CRE and touch a vulnerable spot on your body. Particularly an open wound. This is why CRE typically flourishes in hospitals. A worker may come in contact with a person with CRE and not know, so they don’t wash their hands. Then leading to that doctor touching another patient, giving them CRE. The antibiotic bacteria may also be transmitted through medical equipment such as respirator tubes or catheters. The medical equipment may have not been cleaned thoroughly enough and the previous patient may have had CRE. Therefore leaving the next patient exposed to the bacteria on the equipment. Only a few weeks ago did a small outbreak in a Los Angele’s hospital occur. 7 patients were diagnosed with CRE, two of which died. The patients contracted CRE after having a routine endoscopic treatment for bile ducts, gall bladder or pancreas. All the same equipment was used and it is clear that one of the patients had CRE which got on the equipment. The equipment was not cleaned fully so the disease was transmitted to the other patients receiving the same alignment. Bacteriologist, the CDC, and medical supervisors advise the medical staff to clean the equipment as thoroughly as possible.

How to prevent the spreading of CRE?

                CDC advises the public to just be clean. Wash your hands as much as possible, which goes to everyone, especially medical staff. It is also best to sterilize medical equipment after use. Medical researchers also say not to overuse antibiotics as this will only end up strengthening the superbug in the future. In order to prevent the spread of this, just be sure to be clean; that is truthfully the only thing we can do to prevent CRE from spreading.

How dangerous is CRE?

            Considering CRE’s high resistant rate toward antibiotics, it can be considered dangerous in some cases. There is 40 to 50 percent death rate if the CRE bacteria is contracted. The reason the mortality rate is so high is because it is resistant to nearly every antibiotic there is, which includes carbapenem. The last resort drug; the drug that is supposed to fight off the worst of the worst infections. Doctors resort to some of the following medications: polymyxins, aminoglycosides, tigecycline, fosfomycin and temocillin. After recovery from CRE taking more antibiotics may cause the infection to grow more, so they MUST be taken with caution. However a cure just may be on the rise. Actavis, a medical company, is developing a new antibiotic called ceftazidime-avibactam; it is experimental use for any patient that has CRE and has no other treatment options. On the bright side, it just may be true that you can’t contract CRE more than once; you will be immune to it after full recovery of CRE.

 

 

              

© 2016 MadisonReneNeal


Author's Note

MadisonReneNeal
"Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) Infection." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 Dec. 2015. Web. 31 Jan. 2016.
Brumfeild, Ben .. "CNN." CNN. N.p., 19th Jan. 2016. Web. 31 Jan. 2016.
Bradford, Alina .. "CRE Infection." LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 4th Mar. 2015. Web. 31 Jan. 2016.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on January 31, 2016
Last Updated on January 31, 2016
Tags: CRE, Superbug, CDC, Pathogen, Disease, Bacteria, Science, Medical