EXTRA

EXTRA

A Chapter by InsanityWriter
"

No one pays attention to the background...

"

I WAS THERE! How could you have missed me? I was right on stage... I had my own solo! Did you not hear me hit that note?

 

No, I wasn’t the main character, but- but I still mattered though, didn’t I? I was... Important... Was I? The director said--she said-- that all the ensemble was needed. She said we were essential. WE make it real. I did do my best too... As much as the main characters...

 

So why? Why do you brush by me? Why’d you ignore me? No, “good job”? No... Anything? Just walk on by, yeah, that’s right, walk on by me-- me in full costume right after the show-- walk on by with your little kids clutching their programs and pens, and say:

 

“Let’s get the main characters’ autographs.”

 

Seriously?? I’m right here! Did I really matter? They don't care, do they? I’m just an extra... So why should they. I’m the background-- Insignificant.



© 2013 InsanityWriter


Author's Note

InsanityWriter
This is based off something that happened to me... Next time you go to a play, and the cast comes out after the show, please remember to tell a member of the ensamble "Good job" and give them a smile. Seriously, it'll make their day to know they're remembered and that SOMEONE was paying attention to them-- that they aren't just an extra. The main characters aren't the only ones working really hard...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know what you mean with that. I have been in plays and because i am not as pretty as the other girls I never got a lead role. I was never considered for a lead role. the boys would always go crazy for those preps that were all so pretty and had the lead roles in school plays and church play. I remember I had one line and that was the only line I ever got to say in the like ten plays i was in. I usually ended up in the back round because i was taller than everyone else. that is all they ever remember about me is the tall girl. I couldn't even get to be in the front row for anything even when my group of dancers was in the front. I was still in the back. That does really hurt.

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

I know what it's like. :/ I'm usually one of the tallest girls too. Thank you for reading.
I relate to emotions such as these, never been really confident enough for a solo in one of our concerts, my grandmother would compliment them and i would sit on the way home while she talked about how fantastic the soloists were and ask about them, now she just stopped attending, and my mother just comes because she has to. Anyways, i loved this peice, the emotion it puts off was so powerful, so real, it allowed me to see the scene in my head, almost like i was watching a movie. fantastic job once again.

Posted 11 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it and that others can relate to this. ^_^
I agree that no one pays attention to the background, especially to the people that works in the background and makes everything run smoothly...anyway great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. (: Sadly, it's too true. :/
I could definitely feel your pain is this and it is sad, the lights shine brighter on some and not others. It does take the entire cast to make something like this worthwhile. If it were only the lead characters, standing up there, not supporting cast, no set decoratrions, no music, no lights what would you have...rehersal. I can assure you I will keep this in mind in the future. Thank you for sharing. I liked this, it was short and to the point and so very real.

Posted 11 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and for your kind words. :) They are much appreciated.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013


Author

InsanityWriter
InsanityWriter

I'm amongst my people. Praise!



About
****Please review some of my works if you're going to send me a friend request, I will return the favor. Thanks!! :) I write mostly poetry, but I do have a book of short stories (it's literally cal.. more..

Writing
Chasm Chasm

A Poem by InsanityWriter