Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Viney

I hurried through the dull school hallways, senses keen and alert, ready to tune into the monitors. Teachers murmured in hushed whispers among themselves, students chatted idly, pretending they weren't interested in what was about to happen.

No. I thought. Please not us. Anyone but us.

My friend came to join me.

“So...” She started.

“It's here.” I said, and was embarrassed when my voice wavered.

“We'll be alright. We're always alright.” she said calmly, but her eyes betrayed her nervousness.

“Y-yeah. You're right. After all, there is a lot of grades.”

the monitors suddenly blared to life. The words rolled across the screen, in the same way they always do every two years. Every head in the hall was aimed at one of them. The announcer's voice started talking, in his annoyingly cheerful voice.

“Today is a proud day for us, people of Earth! One grade of young people will become our incredible hybrids, and shall leave the planet!”

He went on to tell all of us about our history. We heard it every two years. Why was it necessary to hear it again? We tensed up as he neared the end of his boring lecture.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen, it is time to announce the chosen grade! This time, it is...”

No. Don't say it.

“The lucky members of...”

Settle down, Gabby, I said to myself. We'll be fine. We're always fine.

Sixth grade!” he finished, with lots of fake applaud from the screen.

NO. NO. NO NO NO NO NO. The world started spinning.

Gabby!” one voice rang through the shrieking and crying in the room. No one wanted this.

“Gabby don't!” she shouted, but even as the words slipped out of her mouth, the ground was rushing up to meet me.



© 2013 Viney


Author's Note

Viney
I actually wrote this after I wrote most of the current story. I think it's okay, brief and not very explanatory, just like a prologue should be right? Constructive criticism is appreciated so that I can get better!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on March 14, 2013
Last Updated on March 14, 2013
Tags: hybrids, hybrid, halflings, science fiction


Author

Viney
Viney

Like I'm giving that out., CA



About
Hello all, I'm a young writer that goes under the pen name of Viney, who is often the name of the main character in my stories. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm not good at what I do. Age is.. more..

Writing