The Letter

The Letter

A Story by Manda
"

It when her world changed forever

"
      I was sitting on the porch reading a book by Nicholas Sparks when I heard footsteps coming up the drive. I paused for a moment and then looked up to see that it was only Steve, the mailman. "Hello Steve! How are you today?"
      "I am good," He said happily.
      "Do you have a letter from Sam today?"
      "Yes I do," He took the pile of mail in his hands and handed it to me. On top of the pile was the letter from Sam.
      "Would you like me to read it out loud?"
      "Of course." Reading the letters from Sam always gave me a sense of relief. I opened the letter and began to read:
   
      Dear Anna,
            If only I could see you one last time. I miss looking into those beautiful hazel green eyes and playing with your long blonde hair. It has been so long since I've taste your sweet kisses. I long for one of your hugs. Anna I love you so much. So very much and without you I'm just hurting inside. Ever since the day I laid eyes on you, I knew you were the one... Anna my time is running out. Our base was just hit and we are forced to evacuate. It's not possible for any of our men to survive. I am so sorry I can't be there to wipe away your tears, because I know you will be crying after reading this. I want you to know this though, I love you. Where ever I may be, I'll always be watching you.
Goodbye My Love,
 Sam

     Tears began falling down my face and my body became numb. I felt like someone had just ripped my heart out of my chest and then threw it on the ground. I sat there in a gaze and holding the letter I had just read. "Anna? Hun? Are you ok?" Steven said in a worried voice. I knew that he knew I wasn't ok, but thought he should ask anyway.
      "N-n-o-o," I said crying. "Why did God do this to me? Huh? Why did he have to take his life, along with so many others? All they were doing was protecting our country... It's just not fair"
      He walked over to where I was sitting and then sat next to me. "I honestly don't understand why either, but things happen for a reason. We just need to learn to except that."
      "How can I? He just took the love of my life away from me!" I didn't mean to yell at Steve. I was just so upset.
      "Anna calm down. I know it's hard, but there are plenty of others out there."
      "I don't want anybody else. I want Sam!" I couldn't control myself anymore. I didn't like that Steve wasn't backing me up so I yelled, "Steve just go!"
      He got up from where he was sitting and then gave me a look. He didn't seem mad just very hurt. "Ok. I will go, but promise me you won't do anything stupid."
      "Yea, whatever." He gave me that are you serious look and then walked away.  I watched him make his way to the end of the drive and then turn the corner. Once he was out of sight I went into the quiet, empty house. I went into the tiny bedroom that used to be for two. Pictures of Sam and I hung on the light blue walls. This room used to be filled with so much love, but now it was just another boring room. I placed the letter on the bed and then made my way to the window. I took in the ocean breeze and the beautiful view.
      After a few moments of just standing there I made my way back over to where the letter laid. I picked it up and began to read it once again. I tried to hold back the tears, but it was no use. When I finished reading I stood up with the letter in hand and made my way to the closet. I opened the closet doors and then got on my knees. There laid a box full of letters from Sam. This was letter one thousand and ninety five. Sam had written to me every day for the last three years. It so happens that this was the third year mark. I placed the newest letter in the box and then picked up another letter from long ago. It read:
    
 
      Dear Anna,
            It's me again. How is the weather up there in Minnesota? It has been raining up her for days... It gets rather depressing. I haven't had much action over here in Iraq. My men and I have just been keeping guard. You never know when it might get ugly.
          Anna, I miss you so much. Its been exactly a year now that we have been apart. One of the commanders says I should be coming home soon. I hope he is right. The day we meet again will be the day I'll ask you to marry me. Anna I want to be with you forever. I've thought about this for months, but never had the guts to write it out. We can get that big diamond ring you wanted. How does that sound?
      Oh and Anna! Guess what? There was a full moon last night. It was so beautiful, but not as beautiful as you. There is no other beauty like yours. You are my angel from up above. Well my love I must say goodbye for now. I will write soon.
                      Love,           
        Sam    

      I placed the letter back into the box and then closed the closet door. I couldn't do this anymore. I knew that I couldn't just live my life without him. I went downstairs into the basement and then went into a dark, cold room called the den. This was where Sam kept all of his hunting equipment. It was where he got away for a few hours just so he could relax. I used to sometimes come and sit with him on the couch. Together we would cuddle up and make love to each other. How I miss those days.... Those were the happiest day of my life. Its too bad that I would never be able to have those days back.
      After a few minutes of looking back at the memories shared once before, I continued my way over to where the guns were. There were so many of them. I took the smallest gun I could find, which looked like a shot gun. I was never good with guns so I couldn't tell you if it was a shot gun or not. I held the gun tightly in my shaking hands. I had never used a gun before, but had watched Sam practice with them. I put my finger on the trigger and took a deep breath. "Sam I love you! I want to be with you forever. I will be your angel," Those were the last words I said before I pulled the trigger....
      There was a bang from the gun and then a painful scream from I and then the house fell silent...

© 2012 Manda


Author's Note

Manda
Tell me what you think. Advice is welcomed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was so touching. While there are some places where writing could be more detailed or fixed up, this was such a beautiful piece of writing.

Just one thing is that the base is being evacuated, so you should probably edit it to make the letter more hurried.

Otherwise, truly touching. I almost cried. The ending leaves you hanging, and you want to see what happens to her. Er- not see it, you'd see blood and a bullet wound- but to find out if she ever met Sam again in an afterlife of some sort. This is amazing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very meaningful and powerful piece.
It could be a little more detailed in parts as emotion feels a little empty, but you make up for this with the best story and plot line , strong and clear all the way through your writing.
I love the way she reads the letters, and the way there written , the emotion in them is perfect. You feel every piece of his love and devotion to the woman, the deep regret in his final words descirbed so carefully and lovingly.
I love the last line "the house fell silent" the gun bullets ending both there lives abruttly, cruely tearing them from each other, and the desperate to be together.

Posted 11 Years Ago


ohh. All I said after this was, no.

For a few reasons,

1. If this ever happened to me, I dont know. I wouldnt kill myself, but I'd be on the verge. So, no, for the way I felt after reading.
2. It's sorta ironic. She kills herself to be "his angel", when if you believe in this, she'll go to hell for killing herself while he's up in heaven waiting for her.
so, no to the irony.


Now that I read over my review, it sounds insulting.
ITS NOT. This is great, just sad. Youre very talented and write with the most amazinf feeling.
Amazing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was touching and so cute. I loved it. Absolutely loved it

Posted 13 Years Ago


Excellently written, though not exactly the sort of thing I would normally read - so I may not be the best person to judge it. As for advice, I have only this to say:

the letter states that the base was just hit and they are forced to evacuate - completely improbable for several reasons. 1) If the base was under evacuation orders, he wouldn't have time to be writing a letter. He would either be in charge of some sort of equipment, or he would be in charge of the people who are in charge of the equipment. 2) If the base was hit and they did evacuate, mail service in that area would be severely interrupted, so even if he did have time to write the letter, chances are it would never have been mailed, let alone delivered. 3) Based on the timeline in the story, one can assume they were married. Therefore, even if the letter was written, mailed and delivered, it wouldn't have arrived before she was notified of his death by the military.


One way to improve this piece would be to have the letter being written after the base is hit and while he is trying to survive out in the desert after the evacuation. It can then be explained away by being sent after the casualties are located.

Overall though, I must say it was a good piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought this was cute. It reminds me of my ex....thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I loved it. Exactly my style. It sort of reminded me of Dear John. Guess it didn't help that it's called "The Letter" and you mentioned her reading Nicholas Sparks. It was still an amazing piece and like I said, exactly my style. Great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


One word, "Wow"

Posted 14 Years Ago


a MUCH BETTER WRITE You write much better stories than you do of poetry

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow the ending is very shocking, and yet another great love story. Everyone has suffered tragedies, but not so many have had letters from someone they love saying that they soon will die...Sadly I have, and I have to say your characters reaction is one that most likely really would happen at such a moment. Very creative.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i started to tear up
this was amazing, captivating
i dont care what anyone says this was one of the most
AMAZING hearttouching, painful, most beatutiful things i have ever read

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1213 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 11, 2010
Last Updated on December 31, 2012

Author

Manda
Manda

OH



About
Hello! My names Manda. I am 24 years of age and have an Associate of Arts degree. I am a former National Honors Society member and am hoping to continue my education by starting my Bachelors degree in.. more..

Writing
The Knife The Knife

A Poem by Manda


Did You Know? Did You Know?

A Poem by Manda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cant Sleep... Cant Sleep...

A Story by Manda