Family Home

Family Home

A Story by Maniac Mike
"

A prelude of things to come from the son of one of literature's most famous figures.

"

Family  Home

 

 

    The  twentieth  century  was  just  beginning  and  I  was  a  young  man  returning  to  town  my parents  grew  up  in.  I  hadn’t  set  foot  in  the  state  of  Missouri  since  I  was  ten.  There  was  Uncle  Sid, still  there.  Life  on  the  banks  of  the  Mississippi  River  agreed  with  him.

    “Hi  Uncle  Sid, how’s  it  like  being  mayor  of  Hanibal?”  I  asked.  As  boys, Dad  rarely  got  along  with  his  half  brother.

    “Sam, you’re  here,”  he  said.

    We  spent  the  afternoon  talking  about  all  the  trouble  my  father  and  his  friend  caused  as  kids.  Skipping  school, sneaking  out  at  night, conning  the  other  kids, running  away  from  home, faking  his  death, and  just  making  life  miserable  for  their  aunt.  I  don’t  believe  Uncle  Sid  could  be  mayor  had  Dad  still  been  living  here.  Growing  up  with  Clemmons, my  younger  brother, we  used  to  play  pirates  like  Dad  would  with  his  friends.

    Uncle  Sid  had  to  excuse  himself  and  get  back  to  work  while  in  the  middle  of  telling  the  story  of  all  the  whippings  Dad  would  take.  I  took  a  walk  onto  the  old  graveyard  where  Dad  and  that  friend  of  his  witnessed  that  awful  murder.  I  noticed  a  young  lady  walking  my  way.

    “Excuse  me, are  you  Tom’s  son?”  she  asked.

    “I  sure  am,”  I  said.



As  I  took  in  that  crisp  Missouri  air, she  told  me  a  tale  about  the  time  when  my  parents  and  her  mom  were  classmates  and  Dad  tattled  on  the  murderer  to  save  the  wrongfully  accused  from  hanging.  Man, Dad  sure  saw  plenty  of  adventure.

    “I’m  Sam,”  I  say.

    “I  know.  My  name’s  Megan, I’m  Amy’s  daughter.”

Amy?  Right.  Dad  spoke  about  Amy, but  Mom  never  really  liked  to  discuss  her.

“What  are  you  thinking, Sam?”

“About  my  dad  and  his  friends  playing  pirates  and  Robin  Hood  as  kids.”

Although  my  childhood  best  friend  didn’t  have  the  reputation  that  Dad’s  did, we  still  had  fun  doing  similar  activities  that  Dad  and  his  pal  did, like  fishing, swimming, and  traded  things  with  other  boys.  Maybe  Dad’s  old  friend  might  still  have  that  reputation.  Been  a  while  since  I’ve  seen  ‘ol  Hucky.

    “My  parents  are  having  a  picnic.  Won't  you  join  us?"  Megan  asked.

I  did  join  them.  Glad  I  did.  I  met  Megan's  mom, Amy.  They  talked  about  how  the  town  was  once  called   St.  Petersburg.  It  was  Mayor  Twain  back  in  the  day  who  suggested  the  change.  He  figured  with  all  the  crime  that  occurred  when  my  parents  grew  up  here, especially  with  that  Joe  creep  who  tried  to  kill  my  daddy.  I  suppose  after  all  the  crazy  things, the  town  figured  it  was  time  for  a  fresh  start.  Amy  and  her  husband, Ben  were  nice  people.  They  joked  about  how  Amy  was  my  Dad's  first  love.  After  the  picnic, Megan  showed  me  around  town. 

    "What  are  you  thinking  about  now?"  asked  Megan.

    "I'm  thinking  if  I'm  gonna  live  here, I  have  really  big  shoes  to  fill  on  account  of  my  father."

    "True  Sam, but, look  at  your  uncle.  He's  the  mayor  now."

    "You're  right, Megan.  Still, to  go  on  a  bigger  adventure  than  even  my  father  and  'ol  Huck  have  been  on  would  be  a  huge  achievement  for  me."

 

    We  continued  walking  among  the  woods.  I  was  afraid  there  would  be  no  new  adventures  to  be  explored  in  my  family’s  town.  I  really  got  to  know  Megan  as  we  walked  along  the  woods, like  the  time  my  father  fooled  her  father  into  painting  the  fence.  I  practically  tripped  over  a  pile 

of  trash  while  making  a  turn.  I  kicked  it  and  we  saw  there  was  a  patch  of  dirt, as  if  the  trash  was  a  marker.  I  dug  it  up.  A  bottle.  A  rolled  up  piece  of  paper.  A  map.  The  treasure  that  not  even  my  dad  could  find.  Perhaps  it  doesn’t  exist, but  I  now  had  an  adventure.

    “You’re  not  going  without  me, Mister  Sawyer,”  Megan  said.

    I  smiled  and  agreed.  I  looked  over  the  map  and  saw  it  wouldn’t  be  easy, but, I  knew  then  as  I  do  now  that  I  have  a  family  name  to  live  up  to.             

© 2015 Maniac Mike


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on May 15, 2015
Last Updated on May 15, 2015
Tags: Missouri, Hannibal, Hanibal, Tom_Sawyer, Huckleberry_Finn, Huck, Adventures