Lost

Lost

A Story by Maram157
"

it's a character description

"
CHARACTER DESCRIPTION

             Her hands grasped the cup, filled with sweet apple cider from the wooden side table. A thread-bare blanket lay around her weary shoulders, and the leftover fragments of her supper lay on the round table near her bed. She waited patiently, hoping that the infant laying in her frail arms would be revived, and he would have another chance at life. She looked down upon him, whispering gently, “My little one, speak to me.” Her voice cracked on the last word, and a lump formed in her throat. This beautiful child in front of her, reminded her so much of her secrete lover. His eyes emitted a deep, hollow shade of blue and casted a reflection of the shallow lake near the house. He lay smiling, his eyes gazing up at the beautifully painted fresco.

            “My little one,” Elizabeth spoke once more, stroking the thin, wispy blond hairs. She looked deeply at the dying embers of the red stone fireplace, expecting a miracle to rise from the ashes surrounding the coal black wood, but nothing appeared.  Her hopes and dreams once lay on the newborn, and her future was awaiting a miracle, but the limp child provided only coldness and sorrow. Shaking involuntarily, she slowly wrapped the boy with her blanket, gently kissing him on his forehead and cheeks with a great deal of affection. “Good bye, my love.” Her mind filled with millions of reasons to depart this world. Her future turned against her, and nothing could be changed, because what was her dream became her nightmare. She slowly slid from her bed and steadily walked towards the dying fire, leaving her child on the cotton bed sheets. Painfully, she crouched on the brick and wrapped her pale, long fingers around a fresh log. “I may give you life, but not to my little one, for all hope is lost,” sighing heavily she looked around as if seeing the room for the first time. The small flame casted a golden light on Elizabeth’s face, her eyes seemed etched with pain and fatigue, and she was covered in cold sweat from two hours ago. Her hands gripped the frame of the hearthstone; exhaustion clung to Elizabeth’s body as though her body would collapse with only a breath away.

            She needed some fresh air to calm her throbbing body. She slowly, with difficulty, strode towards the double doors of the balcony, passing by her bureau. Every step felt like it took an hour to complete. It could be fear that kept her from reaching the doors. Fear of the loss she endured, or possibly fear of having no one else close to her heart. Her arms felt heavy as she reached the golden handles, and she suddenly burst into tears that cascaded down her rosy cheeks, unwilling to stop. They were accumulated tears from her past events, and she couldn’t keep them in any longer. She carelessly slid to the stone floor, her shoulders moving as her tears gradually turned into uncontrollable sobs.

            The elaborately decorated doors to her bedroom abruptly opened, “Lizzy, are you alright?” Her sister, Cordillera entered the dimly lit room, briskly walking towards her distressed sister.            “Please, you must calm yourself.”

            “Please…” Elizabeth spoke, her voice barely audible. “Leave.”

            “But-”

            “NO!” Speaking indignantly, “Just leave.” She lifted her body off the ground, facing the doors of the balcony.

            Afraid of further upsetting her sister, Cordillera quickly walked away, her dress brushing across the floor. It was unlike her to dismiss anybody in such a manner, she always spoke kindly and respectively however their status may be. Her life was always filled with laughter, joy, banquets, and love, but a turn in events caused a deep sadness to befall her. This new beginning imprinted a tattoo on her aching heart, and the pain would not ease.

            A cool, refreshing breeze entered her room from the garden under her balcony. Her thin nightgown vividly outlined her hunched spine, as she leaned towards the cold balustrade. She held up the knife, she grabbed earlier, at the moonlit night sky. The darkness outlined the contour shapes of the intricately crafted dagger, and every lovely shape made Elizabeth weep harder. She was afraid, not of the consequences, rather the people around her. There was always pressure from everybody, like the imprudent decisions of her mother, her father’s men murdering her loved one, and the arranged marriage she ignorantly agreed on. She needed to escape, even if it would risk her life.

            “Please, forgive me God.” The sharpened dagger slipped from her fingers and clattered on the balcony’s shimmering floor, and a thud came after. Elizabeth’s body collapsed.

 

© 2010 Maram157


Author's Note

Maram157
I hope u liked it, it was just random writing i was doing a while ago and i thought that i might as well post it up.....
what was your first impression when u first began reading it.......

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow this was so well thought out and written and every word placed me into the story. I felt like I was there. You expressed each emotion and described the picture so perfectly. You're a talented writer. I absolutely loved this piece but I was so sad to read this. It was a tragic story but I was hooked from beginning to end. This was absolutely amazing!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow this was so well thought out and written and every word placed me into the story. I felt like I was there. You expressed each emotion and described the picture so perfectly. You're a talented writer. I absolutely loved this piece but I was so sad to read this. It was a tragic story but I was hooked from beginning to end. This was absolutely amazing!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 27, 2010
Last Updated on April 27, 2010

Author

Maram157
Maram157

Canada



About
I love to read, enjoy writing(hard to jot down every piece of info onto a sheet of paper), love to listen to music, paint.....and I love doing whatever is fun and interesting. more..