The Eagle

The Eagle

A Poem by Dave

          The Eagle

Each afternoon she comes and sits at the lakes edge on the fallen tree trunk that is just now beginning to rot away.   So peaceful and calm she is while looking at the deep blue waveless water.  Though the day is hot, she is cooled by the breeze blowing through the overhanging boughs of the firs that seem to surround her.  With her bare feet in the refreshing water she is tempted to go further.

No!  She wouldn't want to scare it away.  It's the reason she comes each day, at the same time.   Listening carefully, no, she doesn't hear it yet.  Yes,there is the rustling of some fallen leaves moved by squirrels or chipmunks, the song of a lonely bird, none of which she was hoping to hear.    That's all for now, ah, the splash of a fish, probably a trout.  She takes a quick look and sees it again, a rainbow of colors on it's side where the sun hits it.

She smiles to herself, she knows it won't be long now, it's coming.  An ear piercing shreak fills the air and a dark shadow momentarily eclipses the sun.  It seems a giant with it's wide wings spread across the blue sky.  Swooping with the grace of a ballerina it moves across the expanse of the lake gliding effortlessly mere inches above the water.

She wonders and then there is no need, he plunges into it's depths with a thrashing of it's wings.  In moments it quickly surfaces  with the wriggling trout in it's powerful talons.

Exhilarated by what she had just witnessed, she herself goes home exhausted and fulfilled.

© 2020 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This write is filled with wonderful imagery. A beautiful natural setting where there is much to see. Lakeside beauty enhanced by the flight of the Eagle in all its splendour. Well worth a visit every day. Who could resist the sight, sounds and scents of nature. Nicely penned Dave. Hope you are doing OK.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wow awesome imagery and scenery you paint with words as we are drawn to your poetic story suspenseful and wonderful. So is the creature a bird or a mythical one? I would love it both ways. Kudos for a breathtaking poem!

Plz Pleez do read and comment my newest poem too, right on top of my page.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Dave

3 Years Ago

This was not my own personal experience, but I have blessed in having seen a scene very much like th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 5, 2020
Last Updated on May 5, 2020

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Dave


Thinking of You Thinking of You

A Poem by Dave