This I believe

This I believe

A Story by Honey
"

English. "Write about something you believe in."

"

I’m not so sure when it happened or how. All that I know is that somehow I had gone from sitting by myself and remaining in stolid silence for days on end to accompanying this small, shrewish child around the playground. She often smiled at me and told me stories and jokes even though the most I could return to her was a frown and silence. As days passed and we played in the small, wilting, sky blue house that smelled of rotten milk and among the tall, forest green azalea bushes, I grew to appreciate her company. I was no longer alone, and I had found another body to collaborate with.

What was better was that she genuinely seemed to enjoy my company. She did not tolerate me simply because there was no better solution. She got on well enough with the other girls, showing them as much kindness as the showed me, and she had no trouble interacting with them. Instead she demonstrated affection towards me and pure appreciation towards our talks about “nothing of consequence,” as I described it to my mother.

She was understanding when I told her I could no longer play with her, though she took it with sadness. She didn’t pressure me to continue the friendship because she knew it would cause me difficulties. She always thought of what was best for me, even if that meant she had fewer friends. This “small, shrewish girl” was, in my mind, the zenith of humanity, for the worth of a person lies not in how they look, how strong they are, or how much wealth they possess. Their worth is determined instead by their actions and the way they treat others, be they friends, foes, family, lovers, or complete strangers. The best people in the world are the kindest. This I believe.

© 2014 Honey


Author's Note

Honey
Because it did not fit in the description:
I believe kindness is the greatest quality a person can possess. Kindness has transformative and healing properties that rival those of medicines and creams. They can change a person from an unrelenting mathematics machine into a creature that can share and feel with others. I have experienced this magic firsthand.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A little kindness can go a long way. Nicely written and so well expressed

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
1 Review
Added on May 16, 2014
Last Updated on May 16, 2014
Tags: apologies, alone, adolescence

Author

Honey
Honey

About
Generic American. Friendly, but not sociable. more..

Writing
cold cold

A Story by Honey


Where I'm from Where I'm from

A Poem by Honey


The Humble Abode The Humble Abode

A Story by Honey