Only No Sun: Part I

Only No Sun: Part I

A Story by Marlowe147

This is a serial story, a story told in parts, which provides a window into the imperfect world of David and Jennifer Stendhal. A couple burdened by college debt, they struggle to meet the demands that life has thrust upon them. To keep up appearances, they run from their problems and take a quiet vacation by the sea.

 

They left on Thursday, the roof of their miniature car sagging under the weight of ratty luggage.

 

“Hurry up! This is supposed to be our vacation and we haven’t even left our driveway yet!” called Jen from the passenger window.

“I’m checking the windows and locking the doors. You don’t want to come home to an empty house, do you?”

 

David came down the steps and walkway. His door opened and shut with a rusty squeak. The engine sputtered and kicked and burped a while, finally ascending to a grotesque whir. They were on their way.

 

The car can barely reach 50, kicked to the outside lane by other ferocious metal beasts. With every passing, it teeters and slides, dragging gravel. Trees melt by, their branches blurry running colors melded together. The windows are down. Enormous winds fill the silence; fill the void, and problems wash away. Like the consistent roar of the sea.

 

“What about that one?” Jen asked, pointing past David at a grand hotel. One with gold trimming and long pillars and bellhops to whisk away luggage.

“You know we can’t afford it. I thought we agreed not to do this to ourselves.” David, stern, mesmerized, eyes fixed on the deep pavement, traced the way to town in his head.

Jen stared blankly out of her window, searching for another sign lit VACANCY.

 

The car pulled into a space in front of a thin, bare plaza. A cramped block consisting of a greasy pizza place and a dilapidated convenience store and on the corner a drugged out pharmacy, with two stories perched on top of it. Jen and David got out of the car. Jen stretched, her arms skyward, and let out a great yawn. David rubbed his aching eyes with the palms of his hands.

 

“Are you hungry?”

Jen, feeling her rumbling stomach, nodded

“Here,” said David, handing her a 20. I have to run into the pharmacy, I need some aspirin.”

“Do you want anything?”

“No, I’m not hungry.”

 

The sleigh bells hanging above the door jangled as David walked into the dim room. He acknowledged the pharmacist behind the register with a raise of his hand. The aisles, cramped, claustrophobic. He found the aspirin, too many to choose from: extra strength, double dose, nighttime, daytime. He selected the cheapest.

 

Placing the plastic bottle on the countertop, David reached into his back pocket fishing for his famished wallet.

“Nice day out,” said David, to the pharmacist.

The man smiled, bearing gapping stained teeth.

“Not necessarily,” he said.

“Um, okay…how much for the aspirin?”

“4.59”.

David handed him a 5.

“Say, do you happen to know of any cheap motels nearby?” asked David, as the pharmacist handed him his change.

“No, none that cost under a hundred a night. Big tourist spot, you know, right by the ocean. I do have rooms for rent, up on the second floor. They’re decent. Only 10 a night. You interested?”

 

David looked out of the window. Jen was back at the car, sitting on the hood, letting her legs swing off of the edge. Her eyes caught David’s. She waved.

“Yeah. Lead the way.”

TO BE CONTINUED…

© 2010 Marlowe147


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on April 26, 2010
Last Updated on April 26, 2010