When the Sun Sets

When the Sun Sets

A Screenplay by Mary Joie Marero Cultivo
"

This is about the teenage girl who lived in a cruel world created by her own mother.

"

Act. 1

Scene #1 (University Gate 1 to pathway; morning)

*(Camera behind Amie[Kiss] focusing on the gatehouse over Amie’s shoulder*

Amie: “Another day to start and another day to try my luck. *Sighed* (She walks to enter the gate. James will appear and will clutch her left arm)

James: “Hey! Hey! Hey! Come. Let’s go in together.”

Amie: “Whatever. Even if I say no, you’ll still insist until I give up. Tsk!” *roll eyes*

James: “Woah! It’s too early for that sulky face of yours. Cheer up, okay? By the way, did you fi---”

Amie: “Shhh!” (James stopped right away when Amie rapidly followed the two women not far from where they were. Amie left James behind hanging out what he was about to say.)

 

Scene 1.2 (Pathway)

Mrs. Elliot and her daughter Russel Elliot enter the school. Russel holds her mom’s hand tightly as if she was scared of someone might steal her mom away from her.

Russel: Mom, I'm your only daughter, right? Am I your only princess?

Mrs. Elliot: *stopped* Of course baby! What makes you think that I have another daughter than you? You are my one and only daughter, remember that! Okay?

Russel: Okay mom. I’m just assuring that no one will ever come ruining our perfect relationship. *lays her head on her mom’s arm*

(The two continued walking on the pathway holding hands, and that’s when Amie saw them smiling at each other. On the other hand, James was surprised and confused at the same time followed Amie. People passed by her but Amie kept her focus towards the two persons who were walking with their hand intertwined, seemed happy though they were not talking. Then, James, he tailed Amie still wondering why she acted like that. James stopped when he sensed something between those three women. But he didn't utter words and he started to approach Amie quickly.)

James: “Amie! Hey! Why did you just *huff*(looks to where Amie is looking)… suddenly left me there?”

Amie: “Nothing… uhmm, let’s go?” (Looks down for a moment then face James with sad eyes)

James: “Are you alright? Do you know them? What’s the matter?” (Amie shrugged her shoulders, clutched her bag, and then walked away. James shook his head and followed Amie.)

Scene #2 (Out of classroom. 10:00 a.m)

(Coming out from the classroom. Amie was walking ahead of James. James was tailing her again and a little moment, he approached Amie)

James: “You’re spacing out… again. Hello? A penny for your thoughts? Earth to Amie, Amie to Earth. Are you back to yourself?”

Amie: (Amie stopped, looked at James with sad expression) “Have you ever feel something like wanting so bad to be part of somebody’s life? It’s like fighting the urge to be with that person, because of so many things.”

James: “No! Yes! Uhmm… no. Why is that?”

Amie: “Forget it.” (She continued walking ahead of James)

James: (looked annoyed and confused then followed her again) “For God’s sake, Amie. You’ve been spacing out since an hours ago when you saw Mrs. Elliot and her daughter! I’m worried sick about you. Can’t you just tell me what that actions are all about?” (Blocking Amie’s way to confront)

Amie: “Even if I tell you, you wouldn’t understand. Just like what mind and heart swirling about. *sighs*

James: “Well, how did you know that I wouldn’t understand whatever you have in your mind when you’re not telling me even for once?” (Starting to get mad)

Amie: “It’s too complicated, okay? And there’s no chance of telling you everything. So please, James, let my world have its own privacy.”

James: “I get it. It’s about Mrs. Elliot, right? So, the rumors are true? That she had a daughter lurking around this campus and that’s… (whispered manner) you?”

Amie: (stayed away from James) “What? Of course not! You’re just overthinking James.” (Looks weary)

James: “You know me, Amie.” (Shaking his head and hand pointing to himself)

Amie: “But you know me less than what you think.”

James: “It’s because you shut your doors for people who want to know you more.”

Amie: “Hep! You better stop there. We're better off this way.”

(Amie stormed away. James looked at her not taking any steps from where he was.)

 

 

Scene 3 (Cafeteria)

(Amie was eating at the round table near where Mrs. Elliot and her daughter Russel. She watched them enviously how happy they were eating together. Those motherly gestures, she saw it all. Jealousy, longings, and sadness overwhelmed her. But she couldn’t do anything to take part of their world. Russel saw her looking at them so intently so she leaned towards her mother and clanged to her left arm.) 

Mrs. Elliot: “Young lady, take off your arms around mine. We’re eating, baby. Try this one.”

Russel: “Yiiieee! Thank you, mommy!”

Mrs. Elliot: "Stop doing that. My goodness, gracious, you looked a little crazy in there. *laughed*

Russel: "No, I'm not! Hahaha! And if I do, then you too. We're like twins like how they see us, remember mom?"

Mrs. Elliot: “Shh! Just eat.”

(Across their table, Amie silently watched them. Behind her was James’ table. James watched Amie intently while Amie stared at her table as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.)

Suzy: (She approached her best friend Russel smoothly and silently, tapped Russel's shoulders to get her attention) “Boo! Hi, Bessy! Hi, Mrs. Elliot!” (Kissed Mrs. Elliott’s cheeks)

Mrs. Elliot: “Hello, too! Have you eaten your lunch?”

Suzy: “Yup!”

Mrs. Elliot: “That’s good.”

(Amie stayed still from afar. Not wanting to take her gaze from them.)

 

Act. II

Scene 1 (Somewhere down the road. Before the sun sets, 5:30 p.m)

(James found Amie sitting on the sidewalk and scribbling something on her notebook.)

James: “The last wish (James read just enough to heard by Amie). Is that an assignment?” (Peeped behind)

Amie: “No.”

James: “I see” (nodding) “Mind if I read it?”

Amie: “No... Mind your own life, James”

James: “Your life is more interesting than mine.”

Amie: “…”

(They fell in silence.)

*Cameras focus on the sun behind the two character.*

 

 

 

 

Scene II (On the next day, 10:00 a.m)

(The class was having a group activity until James sighted the notebook where Amie's poems were written. He stared at it for a moment and out of curiosity, he took it. Everybody was busy. Amie didn’t notice that James took a photo of some of her poems dedicated to her mother.)

 

Scene III (CONFRONTATION OF James and Amie)

(James approached the busy Amie.)

James: (grabs Amie by the hand) “Come with me!”

Amie: “James! Stop! What are you thinking!?”

James: “What are YOU thinking?! Come… let’s tell Mrs. Elliot.”

Amie: “No! Not today! No! I'm not ready yet. She doesn't even know my name, and I will appear to her like. Hi, Miss Elliot, I'm Amie and I am your daughter. Is it sensible for you? It's my life so don't boss around me. It is me who will decide on everything. I don't need your pity. Just save it when I need it.”

James: “I’ll do it!” (James walked out fast. Not knowingly, their classmates overheard them and they saw how Amie fell to the ground *screams*. They ran towards her to help. James heard the scream so he looked back and stoned by horror seeing Amie on the surrounded by their classmates.)

Ecka: “oh my gosh! What happen? Let's help her!"

Ella: (picked up Amie's stuff.)

 

Tonette: (fanned Amie on the ground.)

Rose and Carol: (run and called for help.)

 

 

 

Act III. (Infirmary: Afternoon)

James: “This feels unreal. My hands are trembling while looking at Amie. I knew that this is all my fault. She begged me but I didn’t listen. Now, she's laying here. I was just making her a favor yet it turned out worse than I expected. She wanted her mother to meet her but seemed like not.”

 

(A day passed but her guardian was not coming to check her. James kept on visiting her. Until one day, he came to her room to see a vacant bed where she was laying last moment he visited her.)

 

James: Why wasn’t she given a chance to have a little taste of happiness? She failed. She sadly failed to make her mother meet her. And I thought of something. I got these things made by her only for her dreams. These poems made by her longing heart. Her life story within these cruel life. Life hoping for the light. A daughter wanting to feel the love from her mother.”

 

(James went to Mrs. Elliot's table and carefully placed the old notebook of Amie. That’s the last thing he wanted to do for Amie’s sake. Later on, Mrs. Eliot found the notebook and at the end, it was in the trashcan. Disregarded it easily like what she did to Amie years ago.)

James: “Her longings come to an end... She’s now gone.”

 

The End.


© 2018 Mary Joie Marero Cultivo


Author's Note

Mary Joie Marero Cultivo
I made this short script for our screenplay when I was a third-year college student. According to my Professor that time, the screenplay must last for only 7 minutes approximately that was why I tried to come up with this short drama to be acted by my classmates. And, this is my first ever written script, so if you found some mistakes then you are free to tell that to me. I am open to your suggestions and ideas that would help me to improve my writings and myself as a writer. God bless!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 28, 2018
Last Updated on May 28, 2018
Tags: Family, friends, life, teenagers.

Author

Mary Joie Marero Cultivo
Mary Joie Marero Cultivo

CALABARZON, Philippines



About
I am Mary, Filipino, and 19 years old. I am taking up Bachelor of Secondary Education with specialization in English. An aspiring teacher with a lot of dreams. more..

Writing