E

E

A Chapter by Nico Marie

I cover my eyes and scream in anguish, flashing back to this morning. I love you, kid. That was his goodbye? It couldn't be!
"Dani!" Mom yells.
"You did this!" I shriek, resisting her every attempt to hold me, beating her with my fists. "I hate you!"
"Danielle, you don't mean that," she sobs, grabbing my arm desperately. "Please tell me you don't mean that!"
But I do. I can't look at her; all I can see is every reason Dad is gone. Every reason he left me behind with her. I wrench my arm out of her iron grip and run. I don't know where I'm going, but I don't care. As long as it's away from her, I don't care.
By the time I realize where I am, all I feel is the sweet numbness that comes with being exhausted. I walk around the crowded playground just to walk, a red stain growing on the inside of my sweater's sleeve. I watch a little girl screaming to go higher as her father grins at her with such love and adoration. Bitter tears blur my vision, and I stumble for a second. Someone attempts to catch me, but we both tumble to the ground. 
"Sorry," I mumble, fighting the sleep that threatens to take me under. Not here. Not now. Not where little kids are enjoying games of tag while their mothers or nannies gossip on the borders of the playground. They won't gossip about me. Not today.
"No worries," the boy says with a nervous laugh. Rolling my eyes, I struggle to stand. He grabs my wet sleeve, not at all surprised by its iron smell and stickiness. "Well, maybe some worries."
I am not amused.


© 2020 Nico Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on October 20, 2017
Last Updated on December 16, 2020


Author

Nico Marie
Nico Marie

CA



About
My new pen name is Nico Marie. I'm 25 now in 2022. This used to be where I vented 9 or 10 years ago as Jekyll 'n Hyde so most of it is extremely cringy. Probably all of it if I'm being honest. I'll mo.. more..

Writing