1815

1815

A Poem by Matthews Reggie
"

The Battle of Waterloo Recreated...

"
 They regicide, we campaign: blood, flesh and terror
 camouflage your eyes, afield from the world of error
 napoleon, ney: saints of death! are they near?
 give me truce, death, or mere freedom to fear!
 
 Unity undone, amity abstract, most glee apart 
 those days of comity, will it ever again start?
 mock the genre of rats, a comrade to horrors
 man is the prey and human beasts predators.

 Came the French army, for more power, more enmity
 do I have the fate, to fight, to exist, or am I to infinity
 my heart bled for her, hex the clamoring recruitment
 forced to leave my love, coerced to join the regiment.

 Every me in the Prussians, prayed, every big and small
 petitioned god, a communal dream, the napoleon fall
 Our women awaited blood, every news from war
 We'll fight, for them, for life, but never for honor or star.

                                                                     THE END

Historical Note: 
The Battle of Waterloo takes place near the Waterloo, Belgium on June 18, 1815. In this battle, the forces of the French Empire under the leadership of Michael Ney and Napoleon Bonaparte were defeated by the Seventh Coalition and a Prussian Army, which was commanded by Gebhard Von Blucher. The Battle of Waterloo puts an end to the tyrant rule of Napoleon as the emperor of France. (From Google)

© 2010 Matthews Reggie


Author's Note

Matthews Reggie
Emotional side of a conscripted man....

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is the kind of writing I deeply enjoy and am always searching to find. It's not a mere poem of entertainment purposes or only to express, it is about real issues, real world battles of various kinds (dictatorship being one of them) and that is what I absolutely love.

Now, moving onto the writing itself. The way you wote each line with kind of two different subjects- almost seeming to be 2 seperate lines in themselves separated by one form of punctuation or another- was a great was to make the poem more impactful. The words feels like hard, quick punches as you read due to these quick stops. You had great imagery and emotion; I couldn't help but feel blood rush to my cheeks with anger...and then you mention "she" which suddenly turns the poem personal and my mood changed to grief and compassion. For me, thats a good indication of a well written peice of literature.

I would be intested in reading more writing if you choose to add more to the site.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this! Best battle ever fought!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very strong piece and informative too. Great descriptions and images. Really great piece

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Omg... This is wonderful... This is special... A full chapter of history written in 16 beautiful lines... An entertaining read and a variety genre of poetry.. history..
Splendid job...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Perfect..... One of the best poems I have ever read... It is short but awesomely superb... Powerful words, great style, fine use of language, apt punctuation....etc... It was a great recreation of history.... The mood was well set, I was very much drawn into it... nice imagery, sentimentalism, everything...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Perfect write on such a famous historical event, good rhyme scheme, rhythm backing up ur vocabulary. well done yaar.


Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm not that good in history, but reading the historical information that you added it I understand it.
The way you write a poem in order to talk about a real touchable story is already a talent. I enjoy it, I enjoy the words (that were difficult), I enjoy the meaning and the creation... It's perfect :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hello Matthews,

Excellent work my friend. I not only enjoyed the overall poem but the little hint of lose and bitterness toward this scenerio. Having to leave his love who only awaits word of blood. Just excellent. Mastery at it's finest.

Well done.

Regards,

Matthew without the S

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nicely done! I would love to see more of your work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


That is really good

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow!! I mean just wow!!..
you converted the real incident and made me being in there!!..
those bloodshed, the violence, the deaths...oh you're good...
my fav...simply because there's a sense of being there while I read it...

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1941 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 10, 2010
Last Updated on September 27, 2010
Tags: Historical, War, Drama

Author

Matthews Reggie
Matthews Reggie

Ernakulam, Kerala, India



About
Hmm....... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Abandon Abandon

A Poem by William