Machines

Machines

A Story by Matt Pellegrini
"

Written for a Non-Fiction class. Though it could possibly be considered very close to poetry.

"

Machines

            A machine tells him how to live his life. It tells him how he really feels and what he really thinks. It tells him who and how to love. It tells him news and facts and teaches him things. The machine does all the things that a human can’t. After all, the machine is better at it.

            He wants to tell the truth. He wants to say how he really feels. The lie detector will tell him how he feels. How could he know what he’s really done or what he really thinks? He’s only human, he can’t really understand his feelings. Not like an analysis of heart rate and perspiration can.

            He wants to find a partner. He wants to find somebody to love and somebody who loves him, not a perfect match. The love websites will tell him who he can love. Only a machine can tell him who is most compatible. How could he understand what he loves and wants? He can’t understand what he needs to look for in a partner. Not like a formula of numbers and traits can.

            He wants to learn from and about people. The computer and television will teach him what people think and will tell him about people. How could a single individual tell him anything of truth or interest? The machines silence an individual. One individual can’t really tell a definite truth. Not like the data gathered by a machine can. The only information worth learning is learned from a consensus.

            He wants to look like himself. He doesn’t look good enough on his own though. A computer can make him look better. The computer can change the hue and contrast of his pictures. People always said he looked better when he was tan. It can airbrush his blemishes and whiten his teeth. People think better of him when the machine helps his looks.

            He wants to sound like himself. His voice is too nasally though. A machine can make him sound better. The machine can change the pitch and tone of his notes. People like when the machine fixes his voice better than when he sings naturally.

            He wants to meet people. He wants interaction. He wants to tell people about himself. He doesn’t tell anyone who he is. Not in person at least. He uses the machine to do that. The computer can tell people who he is better than himself. The computer tells one all they really need to know about a person. Just the facts. He is only what words on a flat screen say he is.

            He just wants to be himself. One’s self isn’t good enough though. It is not perfection. He doesn’t think perfection is the be-all end-all of humanity, but everybody else does. Humans make errors. Machines don’t. Humans are not perfect Machines are. Everyone has to put all their faith into the machines to be perfect.

            He needs machines to make him human. He is not human. Not anymore.

© 2012 Matt Pellegrini


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is spot on about our society. A frightening fact.
You have a talent for saying a lot with very few words, my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Well done. You relate a truth that is becoming more prevelent in our soiciety today. Electronics are becoming more dominent then ever before. People are not communicating face to face enough any more. Even music is dominated by computers in such a way that it has lost some of its spontaneity and feel. Everywhere you look it seems their taking over. Nice job.


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2010
Last Updated on July 20, 2012