Time

Time

A Story by Mayank
"

One of the short story that I wrote when I had nothing better to do...

"

The sidewalks were covered with snow, few hungry stray dogs were wagging tail outside local restaurant, expecting some meat and bones. There was a huge flag waving above the tower, it was the tallest tower in the vicinity. Few men dressed heavily in formals were smoking cigarettes outside bar, if you take an aerial view, all cars will look alike because of the thin sheet of snow that has covered the whole city. The clock on the towers were considered very much accurate. Clocks were everywhere, in every government building and they were gigantic. You can see the time from miles away. Designed for doom, we were all chosen to be the destroyer. People kept changing the time on their devices as per the clock. If you are lonely and have no work, which is pretty much impossible in this country you can observe the reaction on the faces when people adjust the time on their devices. We lived in constant bewilderment of the future that never ticked. Time inequity. They murdered the man who wrote about this in his journal.  

Denying is crime. You won’t see anyone who is disagreeing with the government. Denial can break your bones, your early morning bath may leave you scathing on a floor or an asylum to cure your thoughts. There were warning boards everywhere, which read “Open discussion is not permitted”. You see men smoking and drinking, but there is eeriness in the air. You can hear the clattering of plates from the kitchen, if you listen hard you can hear the thump every time someone finishes their glass of ‘treated’ alcohol and then slowly bangs. You are not supposed to argue or create a public nuisance if you didn’t like your drink or food. Pay and leave. You have right to complain if the restaurant/café is private.

They caught a man other who was reading 1984 by George Orwell. The book was banned here, in a newspaper the article was printed ‘A MAN WITH THE BOOK FROM FUTURE’, we all laughed hard in our head. We have never heard of this author. Some of us were English major. We knew every book written is scrutinized well, a record is maintained, which includes original manuscript. How do I know this? I am working in a department that analyze books. When I went through my record, I was surprised to see the book in our record. But, the book was banned. Indeed, I was shocked to see the publishing date. I gulped down the remaining tea in my cup, lit another cigarette and sat in awe. How did The Party find out about this? How do they know about the future books? How did they keep an eye on this vagrant? There must be manuscript available in our archives if we have publishing code. I have full access. Only if I could manage enough time to find & read this book. 

 

How can I find out a book in the archive which is not yet publish in our country? What kind of future is this? I saw the time, lunch in ten minutes. It was 13:30. Lunch will be finished by 13:00.

The moment Harvey started walking towards the mess, the clock was adjusted and it was 13:50 again. In a spur of the moment he said “F**k Thought Process”, the word “F**K” has never been heard or used before. The authority was alerted, an eye started following Harvey.

 

 

 

 

    

© 2016 Mayank


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Denying is crime.

best line of your writing, for so many reasons
super liked

Posted 7 Years Ago


You have worked well with a unique idea. However, the grammar needs some varnish and you're good to go.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm in awe. I love it. It's so gritty and dark. You can feel the oppression in your words. You painted this perfectly.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mayank, you painted a pretty interesting setting here! It made me wonder what kind of universe would have these events taking place.

I noticed a few things that might help this piece become a little clearer. Separating your writing with paragraphs and indents make it much easier to read and follow. Also, at one point you switched from first person to third person. Generally so the story makes more sense, you may want to keep it in either first or third.

Keep on writing Mayank! You're doing great :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


This one is brilliant piece Mayank. The analogical descriptions find parallel to our times in a striking way.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very nicely written work, I enjoyed it, good job mate

Posted 8 Years Ago


Great work relating time and book... 'A MAN WITH THE BOOK FROM FUTURE' seems to be a wonderful idea put into this story. Usually I do not refer reading stories except for some wonderful ones, and this story is one of those...A suggestion- using 'a' before the word 'local restaurant' in the first line sounds better...
A good piece, move on...
JENNY

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is something great! keep writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Loved this one
"Designed for doom, we were all chosen to be the destroyer'
You made us travel through time.
Great write!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Mayank

8 Years Ago

Thank you Mary!
Its cool the way the boundaries of time are observed in a way that are not such
a linear fashion. Nice work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mayank

8 Years Ago

thank you sir!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

748 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2016
Last Updated on February 25, 2016

Author

Mayank
Mayank

Bombay, India



About
Of pen, paper and absurd thoughts. I love whisky, reading and pets. You can find me headbanging to Heavy Metal when I am alone in my room. more..

Writing
Spiked Spiked

A Story by Mayank


Ennui Ennui

A Poem by Mayank