The Clock

The Clock

A Story by McKenzie J Chatterton
"

Based on a dream flash fiction

"
I stood in the middle of my living room, mind racing, heart pounding. The sound of the clock filled my ears. Sweat began to drip from my forhead while chills shot through my veins. They were creeping closer to the house, each step slow and deliberate. Taunting me. And, even though their coal black hoods shielded their eyes, their identity, I could feel them staring into my soul. 
My head snapped towards the door as I heard a bang. 

'Theyre back' I thought. 

My chest heaved, struggling to draw in enough air, grasping to maintain composure as I scanned the house, looking for a place to hide my family. I knew I couldnt let them get hurt. My eyes finally wandered towards the stairs. 
'The attic, thats the only place they cant get to. Thats it' I told myself. 

I motioned to my sisters, directing them up the stairs. I ducked down as I saw one of the hooded figures approach the window. I crept over to my family as quietly as I could. 

"Listen..." I whispered. "Go upstairs and lock the door, get down in the corner and DO NOT MOVE until I come for you, understand?"

Bewildered by the events that had already taken place, they nodded and snuck up the stairs. I waited until I knew they were safe inside the attic before I stood up and ran to the door. I was met with a cold stare. Up close I could finally see the eyes of the hooded creatures. As they locked eyes with me I felt my blood run cold, their lifeless, ice grey eyes hypnotized me. The room started to spin, I stumbled backward and ran, searching for a way out. As I made my way through the house my eyes fell upon the deafening clock. It was spinning, faster, faster, faster. 
The floor vibrated, setting my nerves off. The pounding wouldnt stop, it just got louder and heavier with each strike against the foundation. And the ticking, God, the ticking of that damn clock penetrated my whole being. Spinning and ticking, spinning and ticking. The sensory overload of it all was enough to drive anyone mad.
 
From the corner of my eye, I could see those creatures pressed against the windows. Observing my spiral into despair, enjoying every moment of it. I wanted to run, but I was frozen. I noticed my vision blur, and it seemed the louder that clock ticked, the more they tried to get in, the more my senses shut down. The last thing I saw was the clock stop for what seemed like only a second, only to spin backwards, only to keep ticking, faster... louder. My eyes fell shut as I felt myself drop to the floor. 
My eyes batted open... I stood in the middle of my living room, mind racing, heart pounding. The sound of the clock filled my ears. Sweat began to drip from my forhead while chills shot through my veins. 

Theyre back. 

© 2016 McKenzie J Chatterton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very entertaining write. Caught my attention from start to finish. Thanks, so much for sharing. Well worth the read. Eva

Posted 7 Years Ago


McKenzie J Chatterton

7 Years Ago

thank you very much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Added on September 29, 2016
Last Updated on September 29, 2016
Tags: flashfiction, dream, fiction, scary, horror, paranormal, spooky

Author

McKenzie J Chatterton
McKenzie J Chatterton

Hartford, CT



About
I am 21 years old and I have been writing for most of my life, I am mainly a horror/thriller writer but I dabble in many genres. Im here to get honest, constructive feedback on my work. I can be found.. more..

Writing