3 - The Day of Salvation

3 - The Day of Salvation

A Chapter by MeBAuthor
"

Director Fuller discusses serious issues with Nichole Parkhurst.

"

Fuller had only a few moments to mull over in his mind what they had just discussed. He didn’t want to admit it, but he had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, too. It was why he was looking forward to meeting with Nichole Parkhurst. Talking with her about a matter that wasn’t as serious was just the breather he needed.


A tall woman whose eyes were as dark as her shoulder length hair stepped into his office. Her eyes usually carried a little humor, and infectious joy within them, but this time as they focused on the Director, they were serious. Nichole Parkhurst was all business when she came into Fuller’s office. He sensed it the second he saw her and recognized this was a sign something had happened. Nichole was his personal assistant within the unit; helping in the assembling of mission documents, evaluating the personnel, and a thousand other duties on top of those.


Something must have alarmed her.


“What is it?” he asked.


She closed the door behind her. “The DEN.”


That was enough for him. Fuller reached for the remote control and turned on the power to the television along the wall facing him. He had an idea of what he was going to see. He had sent Lenox and Barrington to pick up Joseph Canaan, but without making a scene. For Nichole just to mention The DEN was enough to raise an alarm.


Alyson Moore was standing in the front yard of a house that had become a burning pile of debris, and she was saying, “…Canaan, but their identities will be unknown until confirmation can be made.”


She turned her head. Something had obviously caught her attention off screen and whatever it was caused her to move away. The picture on the screen wavered, telling Fuller the camera man was following eagerly behind, capturing vehicles in the driveway and three men. Two of them he immediately recognized.


“Oh, no,” he said softly.


He watched with Nichole as Barrington disappeared from view. His worst fears were realized when Alyson set her sights upon Lenox. “Excuse me, sir,” she began, placing herself directly in front of the agent, “can you tell me if you have already taken Joseph Canaan into custody for the murder of his family or is there a manhunt out for him?”


Fuller took a deep breath. “Please, don’t say anything.”


As if responding to Fuller’s wish, Lenox on the screen simply looked at Alyson, then turned away as if dismissing her.


“He’s good,” Nichole commented as she stood beside the desk, watching the screen.


Fuller didn’t trust himself to speak.


On the screen, Alyson continued to press Lenox. “Sir, there is reason to suspect that Joseph Canaan has involved himself with terrorists, and there may be evidence here implicating him in the murder of his family. Can you comment for us what your intentions are regarding the Carpenter?”


Fuller was greatly relieved when Barrington rejoined Lenox, and the two of them headed back for their vehicle, but there was still a lot of reason for concern. Alyson followed after them with her camera man capturing the scene.


“If I could just get a comment from-” she began.


Barrington turned to her as he opened the passenger door and smiled politely.“I’m sorry, ma’am. No comment.”


He began to enter the car.


Fuller was relieved. No comment was being made and his men were going to leave the scene. As far as he was concerned, all was well with the world at that moment and he was ready to take a deep sigh. This would release the tension he had been feeling since he had turned on the television.


Then, it happened.


Alyson focused once again on one of his men. “What about it…Michael Lenox? Will the DEN get a comment from you or not?”


Lenox took off his sunglasses and looked at Alyson. Fuller wondered why he had taken them off, but it didn’t matter. His name had been spoken on national television by one of the most acclaimed news reporters of the media. To his credit, however, the man simply put his glasses back on, and climbed into the car, once again dismissing her completely.


When his men were driving away, Fuller had had enough. He turned off the TV. “How does Alyson Moore know his name?”


“I’m sure you know the answer to that,” Nichole told him as she took a seat.


“I’m sure I don’t.”


She looked at him knowingly, but didn’t say anything.


“With Alyson Moore?!” he exclaimed. “Who does he think he is? James Bond?”


“Evidently some women think so. He can be charming.”


Fuller shook his head. A thought crossed his mind. “You don’t think he’s Bond, do you?”


“I think he’s Michael Lenox, a very insecure man who has to be someone he is not in order to feel secure.”


“Are you trying to tell me something?”


She shook her head. “No, sir. I’m just calling it like I see it.” Lenox had hit upon her since she had taken the job, and it had been difficult at the first. When she began witnessing her faith to him, he turned off some of the charm he had attempted upon her. At least they had an understanding. He would respect her, and she would continue to pray for him.


“Well…now the world is aware that The Source knows Michael Lenox’s name. If she knows his name, what else does she know?”


“Oh, have a little more faith in him than that, Director. I sincerely doubt he would tell her anything newsworthy. As I’ve said, he can be charming and still not reveal anything about himself, or what he does. If that is what you are concerned about, you needn’t be.”


Fuller nodded thoughtfully. He decided he and Lenox were overdue for a long talk. He turned his chair a bit so he was directly facing his personal assistant. “Alright,” he finally said. “I’ll deal with Michael later. But for now, we might have a problem.”


Nichole couldn’t hide the concern in her eyes. “What is it?”


“James wants to lodge a formal complaint against you. I’m trying to talk him out of it, but he’s hard to convince you were simply proselytizing to him out of your excitement for your faith.” He shrugged. “And even if you were, he doesn’t care. He doesn’t appreciate being told that he’s a sinner condemned to hell.”


Nichole looked genuinely baffled. “James…Bollinger?”


Fuller nodded. “I know you didn’t push him, Nichole.”


“But you said he was lodging a formal complaint.”


“He is. Just tell me you didn’t go seeking him out to witness to him intentionally.”


She shook her head. “I didn’t. I was having lunch and he came directly to me. He started asking questions. I answered.” She let out a sigh. “How much trouble can I get into?”


“You could lose your job.”


“Oh, Director, I--”


“Don’t worry about it. You know I’m not going to let that happen. You’re only in here because I have to give the appearance of reprimanding you. Can you walk out of here looking chastised?”


She tried not to scowl. “Can’t I just be mad?”


“Yes, that will work.” He paused. “Didn’t you once tell me God is bigger than any problem you encounter? I won’t lose you on this.”


“He is bigger than this. It doesn’t change the fact that I’m still only human.” She shook her head. “He’s toying with me, isn’t he? Leads me on about wanting to know about Jesus and what He did on the cross, and then when I tell him, he goes and makes a complaint. Why?”


“Some people just like to play games. I’ll have another talk with him, but it might be a good idea that you apologize to him.”


“Is that what he wants? To make me grovel?” She shrugged helplessly. “I mean, I’ll do it, if that’s what it takes. Is he in?”


He shook his head. “I’m sure he’ll seek you out when he returns. Just apologize and walk away. Don’t let him draw you into any more discussions about your faith. Okay?”


“Okay.”


“Good. Now go back out there and alert me as soon as Michael and Albert return with their guest of honor.”


Nichole rose to her feet to leave, but she appeared troubled.


“Nichole, I promise. It will be alright,” he assured her.


At the door, she turned to regard him. “What?” Then, she realized he was referring to their discussion. “Oh, yes. Yes, I know, and thank you, sir. I…I was just thinking of something else.”


“What were you thinking, if you don’t mind my asking?” When she appeared to hesitate, he said, “Nichole, you don’t have to tell me, but you do know I’m here for you.” He smiled wistfully. “I see all of you as family, in some ways. And you’re the only one I’ll ever admit that to, by the way.”


“I appreciate that.”


“You can talk to me. Even if it is about your faith. I rather enjoy our discussions.”


“But you haven’t decided.”


He paused. “I have much to consider.”


She nodded. “I know you do. I just want you to know that with everything happening in the world today, sir…there may not be much time any more. I’m afraid you’ll be too late and…and when I’m gone, you’ll be left behind.”


“Is that what’s troubling you?”


“Yes. That…and my sister.”


“You’ve talked to me about your sister before. Is she okay? Do you need time off to see her?”


She shook her head. “No. She’s fine. I just worry about her, that’s all.” Then, she added, “And she does live in the area, so it isn’t like I can’t get to her at all. I guess we both just have different lives now than we did when we were growing up together.”


“Why does she worry you?”


“She made a profession of faith when she was younger. Sometimes, I just get this overwhelming fear the only reason she did it was because her older sister did. She went to church with me, we went to all of the activities together…” She hesitated. “I don’t know. It just felt like at times, she was just playing the part. So I worry about her.”


Fuller paused. “Would it help if I told you I would seek her out if anything happens?”


Nichole smiled. “I would appreciate that, sir. But I have to warn you it is written…‘Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.’1” She shook her head. “You should never put it off.”


He regarded her. “Thank you, Nichole. I do appreciate that you care so strongly about this. I’ll be okay.” He paused. “Maybe you should call your sister.”


“Thank you, sir. I will.”


Nichole left his office and went back to work with a heavy heart. Fuller sat back in his chair and considered all that had happened within the past hour. He couldn’t help but wonder if Nichole was right. If today were the day of salvation. One thing was certain…he had a very bad feeling that before this day was over, things were going to get a whole lot worse than they already were.

_____________

1 - II Corinthians 6:2



© 2010 MeBAuthor


Author's Note

MeBAuthor
The photo represents Nichole.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
Added on October 9, 2010
Last Updated on October 9, 2010
Tags: gatherers, rapture, prophecy, salvation


Author

MeBAuthor
MeBAuthor

Wilton, NY



About
46, married, loves to write more..

Writing