Twisted Romance

Twisted Romance

A Poem by MeathooksMcGee
"

I am a stranger to you however I choose to believe we both long for the same crap (had to balance out the cliche use of the word "long") I don't know anymore, read the poem.

"

There is something about this place that you will never get unless you've lived here, oh California -


You are the still palms, black against a perpetual sky imbued with the thin wisps of dusk.


You are that breeze that turns the exhaling of cigarette smoke into a slowly drifting circle of lost memories.


You are the moment when you've captured the strong heart of the one you've admired for a decade, and more so the moment when you realize you've lost her and must once again be alone with the sounds of the night.


You find the seasons by the senses of your being and purpose by the labor of your rough hands.


The world is mean and full of hate but you California -


You are my 63’ Chevy  pick up;  you are my breakneck speed, midnight ride on an old Honda with a bad case leak, you are the fat mother of my first love with whom I knew part of you would always want to hold me and love me. You are the undercurrent of kindness that I have always looked to God to find and always new a shadow of which rested upon you.


In the end though, there was only bitterness and broken promises.


...


Goodbye California 

© 2017 MeathooksMcGee


Author's Note

MeathooksMcGee
Please review, good or bad. Not here for a pat on the back and your words mean more to me than you know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved these lines. So eloquently and feelingly painting in personal details of one's experiences and memories into a sort of personality. Can a State have a personality - maybe. But a State that includes Hollywood and Sonoma and Bakersfield and Sequoia and Palm Strings and the Salton Sea ... that's some complex mixed up personality. But you appear to love it through its personal memories.

And then there's the final line. I can think of stereotypes which would damn CA, e.g. LA smog, materialism, superficiality, excessive consumption, yada yada but you don't cite these, and yet you appear to have fallen so out of love with CA that you're quitting. Hmmm.

So I loved it all just as a reading joy, but I shall ponder on that last line.

Really nice work
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


Lovely, heartfelt and poignant sentiments.
A tender reverie more than worth the read.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 19, 2017
Last Updated on August 19, 2017
Tags: #California #godownfighting #lo

Author

MeathooksMcGee
MeathooksMcGee

LongBeach, CA



About
Currently: I've sold everything I own to drive around the country for a couple of years. You know of anything I should check out? lemme know. YouTube (Channel) Meathooks McGee Meathooks_McGee @ I.. more..

Writing