A NEW PLACE

A NEW PLACE

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

This is a short children's story about a little girl moving to a new home and being afraid to make new friends.

"

"Daddy's job is transferring him to Washington," Mommy explained to her seven-year-old daughter.

Jenny wrinkled her freckled brow. "Will he come to visit us sometime?"

Mommy laughed and tousled the child's auburn hair. "Silly girl, we're all moving with Daddy."

Jenny's tiny head filled instantly with fear. Moving? How could she do that? Leave her school and her friends? No way!

Bursting into tears she ran from her mother and into her bedroom. Flinging herself onto her bed, complete with "Barbie" comforters and pillows, she grabbed Maddie.

Maddie had been Jenny's "security blanket" for many years. She confided in the stuffed, flop-earred bunny whenever she was upset. And, even though she had been missing her right button-eye for the last several months, she was still Jenny's favorite toy.

The next few months seemed to pass like a whirlwind. The house was put up for sale and strangers trompled through rooms "ooohing" and "aaahing" at different, unique features.

Jenny hid in her closet with hands over her ears and Maddie in her lap. "I won't go Maddie; they can't make me."

But, the dreadful day did arrive. Boxes were packed; neighbors came to bid a fond farewell and the Anderson family loaded into the car.

Jenny looked out the back window of the old, green station wagon and wept for hours before falling into a deep sleep; using Maddie's soft, fuzzy, grey body as a pillow.

The new neighborhood seemed to be nice enough. Nice houses. A friendly looking couple walking their dog. Jenny started to smile as she rubbed sleep from her drowsy eyes but, suddenly remembered that she was still mad -- and scared. She pulled Maddie close.

Soon, they pulled up in front of a big, white house and Daddy announced, "We're here!"

Her parents emerged from the car and quickly headed towards the front door.

"Guess we'd better go too; but I know we won't like it," Jenny said. Maddie looked back with her one-button eye as if understanding.

Stretching her little legs and yawning immensely, Jenny plopped down on the front steps. "We just won't go in, is all," she set her jaw determinedly.

Looking up, she noticed another little girl, about her age, on the front steps of the house directly across the street. The girl waved and Jenny waved back, although a frown had formed on her pretty face.

The girl started across the street, her stride a happy, bouncy one. But, what was that she was carrying?

"Hi there! My name's Michele and this is Kenny," the neighbor said as she held up a stuffed, grey, flop-earred bunny with a missing left eye.

Maybe this new place wouldn't be so bad after all???

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short children's story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved the story. "Fear of the new," I wonder if we ever do get over that? You have the gift of the narrative. You are a very good story teller.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Oh, thank you so much, Robert! I appreciate your kind words. And, yes, I am one of those people wh.. read more
I can see you're a story-teller. This is good. Twenty years in the Navy, I know the drill pretty well. It's scary enough for some adults, let alone their children. Kids can really benefit from a happy, positive story like this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Samuel. I have several children's stories but I also have some adult novels as well ... .. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I'm honored by your "thank you". I have a few children's stories, also, plus many that are about kid.. read more
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

I have a few scenes in my novels that are "suggestive" but don't actually come out and say anything .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short, child, story, girl, moving, new home, afraid, friends, bunny, job

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Friend Friend

A Poem by Sarah Wilson