PATCHES OF LOVE

PATCHES OF LOVE

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

This is a short children's story describing how things can be passed down from generation to generation -- and not just material possessions.

"

The little girl, lips enveloping a tiny thumb, crawled into her grandmother's soft, over-sized lap.

"Whatcha doin', Gram?"

"I'm making a quilt," the woman set aside her stitching to hug her granddaughter.

"What're these?" she tugged pieces of cloth from a paper sack and held them up to the light.

Re-positioning her glasses, Grandma smiled. "This one here Betsy is a piece from your Daddy's first pair of overalls. He was so cute in them." A far away look glazed her watery blue eyes.

"What 'bout this one?" Betsy pushed a red piece into Grandma's shaky hand.

She let out a little chuckle. "This is from your first red dress. You were just a baby." She stretched her arms only a few feet apart.

"And this one?" Betsy chose a patch of blue flannel, rubbing it against her pink cheek. "It's soft."

Grandma took the cloth patch from Betsy and smoothed it with a crooked finger. "This came from your Pappa's pajamas. They were his favorites." She gingerly removed an antique frame from the side table and stared into the eyes of the black and white photo.

"He was such a handsome man, your Pappa. You would have adored him."

Betsy nodded in agreement. She thought the long, handlebar mustache was neat and surely must have tickled.

Grandma's hands, although snarled and rough, grasped the silver needle delicately. She swiftly guided it back and forth through the fabric, not only with thread, but with love.

Many years later, a little girl, lips enveloping a tiny thumb, crawls into her mother's lap, now heavy with an unborn child.

"Whatcha doin', Mommy?"

"I'm making a quilt," Betsy sets aside her stitching to hug her daughter. "Kind of like the one that rests on the foot of my bed now."

"That Great-Gram made?"

Betsy nods and smiles, a far away look glazing watery blue eyes ...

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review of this short children's story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

great work melissa ......

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Asra!
This is so tender and moving. A thread, both literal and metaphorical, lovingly connects the generations. The truly good things in this world must endure, and simple stories like this contribute mightily to that end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Samuel! I sure do enjoy all your wonderful comments! You may just be my biggest fan! H.. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Believe me, you'll soon have many more.
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Awww...aren't you sweet! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short, child, story, generations, quilt, cloth, patches, love, grandparents

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres