In The Air

In The Air

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

A short children's-type story about the sun, rays, dawn and love.

"

"Good morning, Sunny. How are you?" he asked.

"I'm a bit under the weather, Ray," she replied. "How 'bout yourself?"

"I've a bit of a cold myself but I have a feeling it will get better soon." Ray tried to be optimistic.

"Have you seen Dawn?" Sunny inquired as she attempted to raise her yellow head from a white, fluffy pillow.

"Just for a brief moment," Ray frowned slightly. "She passed quickly. I tried to reach out to her but she didn't seem to want to stick around."

"She had the most beautiful dress on yesterday," Sunny pulled her scratchy gray blanket up to her chin. "It was simply gorgeous; purples, blues, golds, pinks all intermingled one into another. She was absolutely glowing in a subtle sort of way."

"I don't think she'll be back today." Ray sighed.

"Maybe tomorrow?"

"There's a strong chance perhaps." Ray predicted as he curled his long, slender fingers. "Yes, I would say a very good chance."

Sunny gazed into Ray's golden eyes. She knew Ray liked her good friend Dawn. She was quiet and unassuming despite her fiery red hair and the wild make-up she sometimes wore. Dawn was stunning without all the theatrics. Sadly, many never even noticed her.

"I'm bored," Ray announced. "What would you like to do today?"

Sunny's face brightened a bit as she thought of the many adventures she had shared with Ray. They had been together since the beginning of time. They were inseparable. Her cheeks began to burn and she was unsure if the heat was from fever or possibly something else. She was beginning to see Ray in a different light.

"Doesn't look like we can play outside today," Ray continued. "Those pesky, rotten Nimbus boys next door spit on everything downstairs. It's pretty wet and yucky." Ray waved his arms about wildly in his frustration. "Besides, you're sick anyway. Should I give you some space?" He blushed, thinking how insensitive he had been.

"No, no, that's quite all right," Sunny exclaimed as she looked toward her picture window. "Can I tell you something?" Heat crawled up her neck; shyness and embarrassment threatening to overwhelm her.

"Sure," Ray said brightly as he glanced out the window as well. "Hey, c'mon over here and look at this."

Crawling from beneath the gray blanket, Sunny trudged the few steps across the room to view the outside world. She tugged and yanked until the glass slid upward; fresh air tumbled through the opening.

"See, right down there through the treetops? Can you see them through the gaps in the leaves?" Ray pointed as he stepped out onto the windowsill, leaning forward as far as he dared.

Gingerly stepping out onto the sill herself, Sunny peered around the green foliage that had recently been kissed by Springtime.

"That young couple down there?" she said curiously.

"Yes, they're holding hands. They look very much in love, don't you think?"

Nodding silently, Sunny's desire was flaming hot. She longed to tell Ray how she was feeling.

They watched as the man, whom the woman had called, Kunio, bent to one knee and presented a golden ring with a sparkling diamond. He was asking the woman, whom he called Oshiana to be his wife.

Ray draped an arm around Sunny's shoulder. "I love you," he said simply; matter-of-factly.

An indeterminable look spread across Sunny's face. Shock? Contentment? Relief? Ray was unsure how to read her reaction.

Clasping his long fingers into her own, Sunny responded eagerly and excitedly. "I love you too! I've always loved you."

Holding tightly to one another, they jumped from the windowsill as the sky turned from a foggy gloom to a brilliant shade of blue.

As sunlight filtered softly through the leaves, romance was definitely in the air.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short children's story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
747
I love this. I was a little skeptical at the beginning but as I kept reading I was impressed. I like your plot, twist, and descriptions. Though you say it's a children's story, I think it's written to a well enough level to be considered a short story for adults to take enjoyment in as well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Dell! I really appreciate your kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed it!



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
747
I love this. I was a little skeptical at the beginning but as I kept reading I was impressed. I like your plot, twist, and descriptions. Though you say it's a children's story, I think it's written to a well enough level to be considered a short story for adults to take enjoyment in as well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Dell! I really appreciate your kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 3, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short, children, sun, rays, dawn, love, weather

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres