Mississippis

Mississippis

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

A short story about a young girl at Christmastime.

"

Uriah Thomas looked out the window of the SUV; cars and buildings whizzed by; colors intermingled one into another.

"Are we there yet?"  She yawned widely and rubbed her golden-brown eyes with a chubby fist.

Turning to look at her seven-year-old daughter, Theta Thomas smiled, she was so beautiful in her red Christmas dress. 

"Not quite yet, honey, about another half hour." The mother reached toward her child and adjusted the green bow in her chocolate-colored curls.

"That's about thirty minutes, Uriah," Timeo Thomas explained to his little one. "It's not much longer."

"But that's like a bazillion Mississippis!" Uriah began to whine and tug at the lace collar on her dress.

Turning the windshield wipers on, Uriah's father chuckled lightly. 

"Well, we've already traveled for a gazillion billion Mississippis so a few more won't hurt, right?"

The trio laughed, filling the vehicle with a much needed Christmas spirit and magic.

Counting the sprinkle spots on her window, Uriah began to hum. The entire family was singing Jingle Bells as the TrailBlazer maneuvered into Nana Rae's driveway.

Ripping off her seat belt, Uriah's plump little legs jumped to the pavement and bounded across the yard. She flung herself into her grandmother's arms.

"Oh my goodness!" Nana Rae exclaimed. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?"

"Why are your eyes sore, Nana?" the cherub asked. "Did you hurt them?"

Daddy laughed as he juggled a box of colorfully wrapped gifts and hugged his mother. "C'mon you little scamp. Let's get out of this wet weather."

Moving into the warm, cozy home, Uriah's eyes widened at the beautiful tree with the tiny, twinkling blue lights, the snowman collection on the bookshelf in the corner and the green garland trailing down the spiral staircase banister.

"It smells wonderful in here, Nana Rae," Uriah's mother kissed the older woman on the cheek.

"I have Christmas cookies in the oven," Nana smiled as she smoothed her apron.

"Gingerbread?" Uriah asked, licking her lips.

"You know it!" Nana beamed as she patted her granddaughter's hand. "I thought we'd have time to open one present before the cookies are ready."

Uriah jumped up and down, clapped her hands together and then sat cross-legged on the floor in front of the Christmas tree.

"Just one," Daddy said. "For now."

"There are so many under the tree," Uriah wrinkled her nose in contemplation. "Which one do I choose?"

"Whichever you like," Mommy said.

Shoving her hand into the pile, Uriah extracted a small box, wrapped in gold paper, a miniature silver bow adorning its top. She turned and looked into her grandmother's light brown eyes for approval.

"Good choice," Nana Rae replied.

Meticulously removing the paper, Uriah squealed with delight as she held up a delicate necklace for all to see. The solid white heart shined brightly in the reflection of the tree lights.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Uriah jumped to her feet and hugged her grandmother tightly. "It's the best present ever!"

Daddy helped Uriah with the necklace, stood back and admired it against her dark skin.

"Oh, Nana that is gorgeous!" Theta Thomas placed a hand on her mother-in-law's shoulder. "You've outdone yourself and that's only one gift!"

Nana Rae shrugged. "Look how happy she is." She nodded toward the child. "That makes me happy."

Timeo watched his mother for a moment and smiled wistfully. Emotions welled within but he didn't allow them to surface.

"What's the best present you ever got, Nana?" Uriah ran her finger along the smooth surface of the heart, oblivious to the adults' conversation.

"The best present I ever got is under another tree, dear." Nana Rae's eyes began to water.

Dark brows knit together. "Over at Aunt Pia's house?" Uriah was confused.

"Let's go check on those gingerbread cookies," Mommy suggested as she quickly tugged her daughter toward the kitchen.

"We've never talked about it, Mom," Timeo said. "She's never asked."

"It's okay, dear," Nana Rae told her son. "Don't worry about it."

Suddenly, Timeo hollered out for his wife and daughter. "Girls, get your coats on! We're leaving!"

Uriah ran back into the living room. "What? We just got here. I don't want to leave!" She clung to her grandmother.

"Timeo!" Theta and Nana Rae gasped in unison.

"We're all going for a walk."

Cookies safely out of the oven, coats, hats, scarves and mittens in place, the family walked down the country lane, dodging puddles, careful not to trip on the cracked sidewalk.

"How many Mississippis are we gonna walk?" Uriah asked.

Silence ensued as the group entered through the heavy black iron gates, turned to the left and stood under a large oak tree.

"This is your Grandpa Sherman, Uriah." Nana Rae knelt at the headstone and ran the fingertips of her leather glove across her husband's name. "He died before you were born. We got married on Christmas Eve many years ago so that's why I said the best gift I ever got is under another tree." A sob caught in Nana Rae's throat but she choked it back as she waved toward the old oak.

Timeo and Theta each held their breath. Would their young daughter understand? Was she old enough to comprehend death?

Uriah sighed. "I always wondered. I just thought you never got married. A lot of people don't. There's a boy in my class and his Mom never got married to his Dad." She stood for a moment, seemingly studying the name and dates before her.

Taking two tentative steps forward, Uriah Thomas enveloped a corner of the large, weathered headstone in her mittened hands. "Hi, Grandpa," she said in a strong, confident voice. "My name's Uriah. You've been gone for a lot of Mississippis but I hope you're having a Merry Christmas."

Singing Jingle Bells under the tree, it was proving to be a very Merry Christmas indeed.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review of this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on September 3, 2015
Last Updated on September 4, 2015
Tags: short story, young girl, Christmastime, Mississippis, gift, tree, death, song

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres