earthen vessel

earthen vessel

A Poem by Mockingbird




genuflect before the earthen vessel
those who come to seek absolution

a widow's screen on a cracked facade
a mesh of signatures etched
on kneaded clay
where pilgrims return
to find their mark.

crocodile blooms have long been scorched
the glint of thorns blind like steel blades.

they abandoned the mores to walk the edge
then tripped on the air that brought them.
strangers tarried to drink the wine
just passing through, just passing time
waiting to reawaken.

after all have fed
they quickly fled
leaving shards and dregs behind them.

the quest ends here
the snakes are slaked.

© 2014 Mockingbird


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the beginning and the ending. Well done my new friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like it

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was very intense for me. It felt like the mishaps of heritage that be...hanging over us for the young to eventually see. Complex descriptions and an edgy voice. Intriguing to me to where this came from. I did totally enjoy it as my last write was not so completely bright. Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really love your ending. but "Slaked"? I've never seen that word. I like it though. very well done. Keep me posted mockingbird.

~Alex.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's interesting how with this piece you make the reader slow down enough to think and grasp what you are writing. It's refreshing to read a piece where I have to focus instead of skimming through lines. Very awesome writing! ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a very inspiring piece, I love the way you infusion each word so beautifully ;-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Woah! This is a puzzle... M! My brain is going to Stonehenge yet that isn't it. A dream of a past life perhaps. Seems Celtic for sure, yet hints at thousands of years before that in Sumer... especially the "mesh of signatures etched on kneaded clay"
No matter how one may place this, it goes out on a rare and wonderful trip, a vacation of the mind for sure. Amazing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


There is something about your style and word choice and the only way I can describe it is saturated. Not only in meaning but just the sound of them together. I've noticed it with your other pieces as well. I get a satisfying feeling of fullness, like a 4 course mental meal. If I'm not making any sense, don't worry, it's actually pretty hard to put a finger on. Again, another win with the pen.

Posted 12 Years Ago


i like it, especially the stanza: " crocodile blooms have long been scorched/ the glint of thorns blind like steel blades."

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

701 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2012
Last Updated on January 17, 2014

Author

Mockingbird
Mockingbird

NJ



About
i am a misanthrope. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Imagination Imagination

A Poem by Shy Joe