Silence

Silence

A Poem by Maria
"

Not sure if this is something spread around the whole world, but my family, or well my parents had the saying that whatever happened within our family had to stay within the family.

"
Silence!  Do not speak!
Quiet! hush now!
Stop talking! You should be ashamed of yourself.
What happens within this family, stays within this family!
Hush! no one must know of this!
Why? Why do you insist on asking questions?
Can¨t you be more like your brother?
What happens in this family, stays in this family!
Listen! no one should ever know of this.
Stop! Will you ever learn?
Don¨t you care about us? Do you even love us?
Hush now!  Stop tattling on your father, its your fault!
Be quiet!  We must protect each other, no matter what!
There is no such thing as abuse!  Whatever you see,
Whatever you hear, must keep quiet about!
Silence! Stop your whining, and stop your crying!
It will pass, you shall learn.
Quiet! we have visitors,stop it right now!
Do not say a thing about what just happened!  Do not say a thing!
What will they think of you and me?  So what if you were hit?
You made him hit you?
Whatever happens within this family, stays within this family.
No one needs to know about our troubles and our heartaches.  You must keep quiet!
Will you ever learn?
Heartache, confusion, is this really the norm?
Are all families like mine?
Why am I not allowed to question, or speak out?
So what is wrong and what is right?
I hate this, all of this, it just does not feel right..
Yet I am told to keep quiet and to hush...
So, this must be normal...

© 2017 Maria


Author's Note

Maria
Input welcomed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Here you perfectly describe my childhood family, which was full of sexual abuse & violence & yelling, yet we were expected to put on a shiny face to the world becuz my dad had a high position & my mom owned a small business in town. After being "shushed" for most of my life, it has taken me all these years (I'm 61) to finally be able to write of my childhood honestly. I like the way your poem has an urgency & a pressure that can be felt, as the secrecy is enforced. Your questioning mode works well in this situation, as the one who can't make sense of things & that's really how it feels.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Here you perfectly describe my childhood family, which was full of sexual abuse & violence & yelling, yet we were expected to put on a shiny face to the world becuz my dad had a high position & my mom owned a small business in town. After being "shushed" for most of my life, it has taken me all these years (I'm 61) to finally be able to write of my childhood honestly. I like the way your poem has an urgency & a pressure that can be felt, as the secrecy is enforced. Your questioning mode works well in this situation, as the one who can't make sense of things & that's really how it feels.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One suggestion! I think by removing "but I hate it!" from the last line would make that line more powerful.

This is a haunting piece! Well written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

hmm never thought of that, thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.
this is so relatable. parents are not to be respected if they abuse you- physically or mentally. i love the pain felt in this and it's very sad but very true

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Well, in the end, once I stopped fighting all this, I came to terms with them and myself and in spit.. read more
rowan.taylorrr

6 Years Ago

that's a very brace and strong thing to do
rowan.taylorrr

6 Years Ago

brave* sorry lol
So upsetting to know that as a human race, we have still not evolved enough to stop this. I'm sorry you had to go through something like this. Stay strong and great poem.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks I appreciate your encouragement and input as well.
Alice Maria

6 Years Ago

You're welcome. Can you please read some of my work if you have the time?
Maria

6 Years Ago

Sure thing, will do.
A sad read for this seems to be everywhere these days unfortunately. A great piece that speaks volumes and gives insight to others lives

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Yes, I totally agree with you in this.
lol, i can remember these sayings,but they sometimes run much deeper for people

Posted 6 Years Ago


Maria

6 Years Ago

For me it meant to hide, the fact that my father was an abuser, he abused my mom, and controlled her.. read more
 wordman

6 Years Ago

well that`s what i meant by some people go deeper,sorry you had to go through that crap
Maria

6 Years Ago

Yeah, I understood what you meant, and just wanted to give you a small, very small insight, of what .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2017
Last Updated on June 5, 2017
Tags: right, wrong, family values, speaking out

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It's Dark! It's Dark!

A Story by Woody


Look Around Look Around

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay