Sexual Assault Against Women In India

Sexual Assault Against Women In India

A Story by Meshalini
"

An article with some true events.

"
India is a democratic country and the seventh largest country in the world. India is also one of the top tourist destination on earth, and is one of the place where sexual assault rapidly increasing.
India is sitting at 4th place in the top 10 countries with highest rape crimes along with the United States, South Africa, Sweden, Sri Lanka, France, Canada, United Kingdom, Ethiopia and Germany.
Rape is one of the most common crimes against women in India. The last estimated showed that every 22 minutes a new case of rape is reported and over 92 women raped every day. Sadly most cases go unreported.
According to the National Crimes Records Bureau (NCRB),the total number of rape cases reported in India has increased to 33,707 in 2013 from 24,923 in 2012. In 15,556 cases,the rape victims were aged between 18 to 30.
The Kamduni and the Mumbai gang rape cases are high profile examples from 2013. The Kamduni gang rape happened on 7th of June and the victim was a 20 year old college student. She was abducted and taken inside a factory where she was gang raped by nine man. The Mumbai gang rape happened on 22nd of August and the victim was a 22 year old photojournalist. She was raped by five man,including a juvenile.
The most recent incident was a 15 year old girl from Nanpara, Uttar Pradesh. She was kidnapped, gang raped by three man and then brutally murdered. Her body was found in the next morning hanging from a tree.
A study found that more than 24,470 cases were committed by parents, family members, relatives, neighbors and friends. Men known to the person committed 98 per cent of reported rapes. This means that men who are close to the victims are the ones that commit most of the rapes compared to unknown men.
I have always read about other women's stories but now I'm going to write about someone who is much closer to me. One of my dearest friends. She was a victim of child sexual abuse. When she was little she had many bad experiences. She even considered suicide at times, but luckily did not go through with it.
She is 17 now and fights for women. She spreads awareness of sexual violence through social media. I thank her for giving me the permission to mention her story.
And now I have a request to all my brothers in this big world.
PLEASE STOP THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN.
Be the true men you can be and prevent verbal abuse, physical violence and sexual assault against women of all ages. Stand up for us like a true man. Respect all the parts  of women, our mind, body and spirit. Treat us with love and respect we are due.
-
Meshalini Muniandy
(Edited by : ELmarie)

© 2017 Meshalini


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

All of your work is kind of sad, but it's very truthful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with everyone.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Meshalini

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much...
Reading this now. I just hope more people read your poem. And send your message

Posted 7 Years Ago


Meshalini

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much...
Not only in India but in the other parts of the world too, people need to understand that women should not be treated as mere objects. It was really nice of you to post such an article. : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


Meshalini

7 Years Ago

Thank you Akshita...
Hello my friend. I have sent you a message with editing suggestions. Blessings to you and keep up the good work.

El :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Hi I am not sure if you have received the edit that I sent you a week ago. I see that you have not .. read more
Meshalini

7 Years Ago

Yes I received it and I also edited my story....thank you so much Elmarie....
Elmarie

7 Years Ago

Not a problem I'm here if you need any assistance. Blessing El
I will never understand rape. All of us had a mother, a grandmother, sisters and daughters. Your words need to be read and woman must be safe. Keep writing and expanding your needed words.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meshalini

7 Years Ago

I'm hoping the same. If people read this,they will get know what is happening to all the women in th.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree. Your poetry is a step and more is needed. You are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2016
Last Updated on November 12, 2017

Author

Meshalini
Meshalini

Malaysia



About
Meshal.... and that's it Or, maybe Who Am I: my first writing Kay Kay... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..