Part Three - The first battle

Part Three - The first battle

A Chapter by Michael
"

Mathews vessel as well as the ancient rings power is tested the for the first time

"
Ten days had past since The Winema sailed up the River Tylwu and met the ocean, Mathew and Michael were walking along the main deck discussing matters, Mathew stopped and leaned against one of the many huge cannons that were lined in perfect order on both sides of the ship, he looked at Michael and said "I surely hope that we are not put into the position to fire these" he paused then said "never the less, your orders are to begin arming every third one on both sides of the ship" Michael replied "My Lord, I do not hope to have to give the orders to fire them as well" He knew that there were not many vessels that could withstand the capabilities of The Winema.
As they began to walk again Michael said "Tomorrow, when we reach Perninties" "I wish to go on land with you, when you request King Nathaniel's presence" Mathew replied "I have no plans on seeing King Nathaniel at this time" as he looked at the Glowing Ring, "I am going to Perninties for other serious matters"

That night as Mathew looked out into the sea, he could see Perninties off in the moonlight. He thought about Annemarie, then his thoughts shifted to the Glowing Ring, then he raised his hands up into the air and chanted "Coarguo Ah Accessus" Which means "show me the way"
At that moment Mathew lowered himself in a row boat down into the night sea, and started rowing for Perninties. He arrived at Perninties and hid the boat, then proceeded towards his destination, knocking at the door, he looked around, to make sure he was not followed. The door opened, Elias just stood there with a bewildered look on his thin long face.

"Well, my deal old friend" "is you not going to ask me in?" Mathew asked laughingly. Elias began sobbing as he then hugged Mathew tightly, "Mathew, I have missed you so" whispered Elias as they both walked into the hut. "Sit down in my chair Mathew," "let me get us a brandy while you take off your cloak"

As they sat, sipping their drinks, reminiscing the old days, Elias learned why Mathew sold The Giselle, the ship that he spent 20 years on, exploring Gods seas. "Elias, that day I docked in Isyfeyne and learned that Annemarie had left, Mathew's voice softened and he looked down as he spoke, "I blamed myself for leaving her time and time again to chase after foolish dreams." Mathew got up and looked out the window and continued to talk, "I then decided, no more, and sold The Giselle, soon after that, I found myself all alone, living deep in the mountains, where I buried my past forever." he turned and looked at Elias and said "I could not bare to be around anything that reminded me of her" He then held out his empty jug towards Elias, who promptly refilled it as he spoke "tell me more about what Petronas said, when he visited you in that vision" Elias asked as he then refilled his own brandy.
Mathew took a huge sip of his drink then sat back down and looked at the Glowing Ring and watched as it spun round and round on his finger then spoke again "Elias, you must promise me" "none of this can ever leave your lips to anyone" Elias replied in a strong sincere voice "You know I am a man of my word Mathew" "I will not tell a soul."

Mathew began "I awoke to the sound of my name being called, and there stood Lord God Petronas," "He told me that soon I must find the other Glowing Ring" "it was about to fall into the wrong hands" "and I must stop that from happening" he then looked at his Glowing Ring again "then he said "Lord Petronas then told me that The fate of two great countries depends on me finding the other Glowing Ring, then he disappeared"

Elias got up and said "what powers does that ring hold?" he then went to the fireplace and began stirring up the coals. Mathew got up and helped him by adding in a nice size log "you would not believe me if I told you" his voice deepened "The Glowing Ring is part of me" "it gives me its strength and wisdom" he paused and then went and looked out the window, "look out to the sea" pointing he said "with the aide of the Glowing Ring, I was able to come here on a small row boat from my vessel," he turned and looked at Elias and the telescope he was now holding, Mathew continued "The Winema is at least 50 knots out to sea, Elias" He then went to the table and poured another brandy as Elias looked through his telescope. "I can not see it from here" Elias said puzzlingly. Mathew replied "that is because it is too far out for anyone in Perninties to see" he then smiled and sipped his brandy. They continued to talk and reminisce for quite some time, then it was time for Mathew to go, daylight was coming.

That morning as Mathew gazed at the locket Elias gave him the night before he remembered what Elias had said to him, "I bought this off a merchant on the little island of Justice and relized it had once belonged to Annemarie" "The merchant told me that she found it in the sand on the east bank just 5 months ago" Opening it Mathew remembered having it made for his dear Annemarie, on the left side it said "To my beautiful Annemarie" and on the right side it said "I will love you always, Mathew." He then closed it and put it into his lock box.

"Come in" Mathew said as there was a knock at the door. "Captain, are we to go ashore?" said Michael, Mathew replied "No, I have already finished my business in Perninties" He then smiled and said "inform the crew that we are heading for the island of Justice" "Yes Sir" Michael replied and started to leave. "Wait, I almost forgot" Mathew handed him a bottle of brandy and then said "Elias asked me to give this to you" Michael's face turned blank.

Just then the bull horn sounded 3 short bursts, which meant an enemy ship is near. Mathew and Michael both ran towards the main deck, as they reached the starboard, Mathew could see that it was a smaller vessel proudly displaying the Perninties flag, about 3 knots to their north, steadily heading for them. "All hands at their posts!!!" Michael screamed over and over as he took over the stern and directed The Winema west, "headsail!!!" he screamed as the crew members began to pull and tug at the sails in order to change its direction.

Then he ordered the Boatswain to retake over the stern, he then went over to the fifth cannon on the starboard side and watched as the enemy grew closer and closer, the he yelled; "Drop the anchor" "pull the mast" "drop the sails" he screamed. He then looked out to the enemy. Michael then looked through his scope and waited, then without warning screamed "fire cannon 5, Now!!! Starboard side" The massive cannon exploded with a load boom and the whole ship shook. The crew of The Winema watched as the helpless enemy ship took the direct hit to its bow, catch fire and begin to sink. Michael then yelled out, "raise anchor and direct a course due west" "we are heading to the Island of Justice"

Later as he and Michael sat enjoying their pipes and brandy after a nice supper, Mathew said to Michael "those were some very impressive skills you showed earlier," "I must say" he tipped glasses with Michael who then smiled and said "all in a days work my friend" Mathew then asked "what would you have done if you had missed?" Michael sternly replied "I never miss" they then both began to laugh.

"Lord Mathew? Can I ask you something?" Mathew nodded, "How did you manage to go to Perninties and return before dawn last night?" Mathew replied "It is something you can not understand, only to trust when I say that the Gods assisted me" he proudly said as he twirled the Glowing Ring around his finger. Michael smiled and nodded back.



© 2011 Michael


Author's Note

Michael
Thanks for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011
Tags: pirate, romance, dragons


Author

Michael
Michael

OH



About
Welcome to my world. Disclaimer.. Don't expect much when viewing my work, I am very new to writing. more..

Writing
Dirty Needles Dirty Needles

A Story by Michael