Part Four - The Island of Justice

Part Four - The Island of Justice

A Chapter by Michael
"

Mathew and his new friend question the people of the Island of Justice

"
Fifteen days had past as Mathew and Michael were chatting in the Captains Quarters when a hand knocked at the door, "enter" pronounced Mathew, the hand explained that they were nearing the Island of Justice.
As the crew secured The Winema, Mathew and Michael headed towards the market square.
"Do you know of a merchant named Isabella?" Mathew asked a nearby young girl who was selling live chickens, “very plump chickens indeed” thought Mathew. The young girl bowed at their presence and replied "yes I do know of her," "she sells odds and ends down that alley over there" she said as she pointed. Mathew tossed her a gold piece and they journeyed onward. As they approached the old looking woman they couldn't help but notice how quickly she carried herself and her strong abilities despite her old age.
"It must be all the chicken she eats," joked Michael, Mathew chuckled.
"Are you Isabella, my lady?" asked Mathew, "Yes I am, how can I be of assistance to you?" Isabella was hoping they were there to purchase something as her face grew bright, "may I interest you in some fine dragon bolts?" she said as she opened the small chest, Mathew looked at the bolt racks, “obviously those are very used bolts, in need of major repair.” He thought.
"Those must have been the ones they use to kill those chickens" chuckled Michael. "Scuse me, My Lord?" said Isabella with a puzzled look on her face. "No thank you, we are here under important reasons" interrupted Mathew as he took out the locket and showed it to Isabella, "Do you remember where you got this?" the old woman studied the locket and handed it back and replied "well certainly I do my Lord, I found it in the sand on the west bank of the island"
She then continued "I gather it washed ashore along with all the other things that survived the sinking of The Abigail. Mathew was at a lost for words as a tear rolled down his masculine face.
"Tell me of this vessel Abigail" demanded Michael. The old woman went on to say "The Abigail was a passenger ship ...That carried freight and passengers to and from all the nearby islands; it played a major role allowing communications and trade with even the smallest island. Mathew then asked "did it journey to Perninties?" she replied "No my Lord, the island of Justice was as far east as it went." "There is much danger in going east of this island" she whispered.
"How did The Abigail sink?" asked Mathew, "no one really knows my Lord" she said in a soft voice "there was talk that it got too close to Donners Pass and struck the jagged rocks" she sighed and went on to say "others believe that pirates attacked it."
"You might wish to talk to Landen, the town drunkard, he claims to have seen it sink" "He drinks a lot and "sees" things" she sighed again and went on to say "So it is wise not to take everything he says as truth"
Mathew asked "Do you know of any one who survived the sinking of the Abigail?" He said that with great hope in his voice
"My Lord, was your love on that ship?" she paused for a moment then continued "It is of great grief that I inform you that there were no survivors" she then said with crackling in her voice "The Abigail was transporting a shipment of gunpowder, the entire vessel exploded," she looked up to the Heavens and finished speaking "No one could have survived that explosion"
Mathew snapped back "This locket survived without so much as a scratch, I do not believe you old woman" Michael interrupted him and reminded him of Landen, "Thank you for your time my lady" Michael tipped his hat and tossed her a few gold pieces and then headed in search of more answers. Mathew did not speak a word to him, he only clutched the locket and murmured Annemarie's name.
Mathew then stopped walking and said "Michael, I wish to be alone," "I will meet up with you later" Michael replied "Yes, my Lord."
Michael turned back to Mathew and said, with great sincerity in his voice "my dear friend Mathew, if she is still alive, we will find her, I won’t have it any other way."

Mathew turned and headed towards the local tavern as Michael headed into town square; both were after the same thing...Answers.
He entered the tavern and spotted Landen sitting off in the corner, very much involved in his drinking. "Isabella's description of him was without a doubt..., very clear, "Mathew thought as he approached the balding, plump, gray haired man," "who obviously hadn't bathed in..." "I really do not want to know how long it has been" Mathew said under his breath.
"Sir, are you Landen?" "Who wants to know?" Landen said as he looked up, he then protested "your here to buy me a beer, isn't that correct?" and then he smiled, Landen never misses the opportunity for a free beer.
"I am Lord Mathew of Isyfeyne," Mathew stated as he motioned for the barmaid, then asked "Landen, Do you recall the sinking of the Abigail?" Landen replied "Oh do I ever" he then began to stroke his long white beard. "I was checking on my traps when I heard the explosion" "I had just finished skinning the unfortunate mountain lion..." he paused and then went on to say,
"That cat brought me a mighty profit," "It was one of the largest ever caught, its fur was..." Mathew interrupted him "The Abigail?" "What do you know of the event?" Landen replied "yes, yes, The Abigail," "I ran down to the shore, the Abigail was completely covered in flames, sinking fast." Just then the barmaid set two beer glasses down on the table, Mathew handed her three gold pieces and motioned for her to go.
Landen then scooted his chair close to Mathew and leaned in and whispered "I seen the pirate ship that took her down" he then got loud, so that everyone could hear him "No one believes me!" "They think I am a fool and a drunkard!" "But I seen it with my own two eyes" he then turned back to Mathew "I seen it, please believe me" Mathew put his hands on Landens shoulders and replied "I believe you."
Then he got up and placed a handful of gold pieces next to Landens beer, then said "I will be here for the next few days" ... "If you remember anything more about this pirate ship, I can be reached aboard The Winema" Then he left.
Landen watched him leave then noticed that Mathew never touched his beer, "Ahhhh," He smiled as he reached for it.

Mathew met up with Michael later that day and discussed what they have both learned about The Abigail. After Mathew told him about Landen and the pirate ship, Michael told him when he learned. "It is like the people are afraid to talk about it," "most of them simply say it was an accident" Michael took a toke off his pipe and went on to say, "I find it impossible for those events to have taken place by sure accident" "That ship traveled that route a thousand times" "How could it have not known about Donners Pass?" "exactly" replied Mathew, then went on to say, "There is more to this then the people are telling us, stroking his mustache, he finished talking "I had a few words with some of the town folk myself" "They ARE hiding something" "We need to find out the name of that pirate ship" then he stood up and slammed his fists onto the table, "We need to find out everything!"

That night as Mathew lay on his bunk, his thoughts echoed the events that took place that day, "Do not believe what Landen says, he is a drunkard..." "I saw the pirate ship, you must believe me..." "It was an accident..." "No one survived..." "I saw the pirate ship..." "He is a drunkard..." "No one survived..." "No one survived..." "No one survived..."
Just then there was a loud screech. "Squawk, squawk" Mathew jumped up, "Daisy!" "Girl" There stood Daisy perched on his window. Mathew ran to her, crying and chanting out her name. "Girl, I have missed you so," "I knew you would make it," Daisy jumped onto his shoulder nearly knocking him over, "Now Now girl, your much to heavy and large for me to hold, you know that"
Mathew did not care though, it took all of his might to not fall over as he kissed and stroked her massive head.  Her huge wings flapped as she tried to keep her own balance on Mathews shoulder, her wings ripped gashes into his face. Her claws torn into his garments and drew blood as her nails penetrated his skin as she tried to hold on. "Ok girl, its ok, calm down." Mathew begged as he was in tremendous pain.

Daisy then flew over to his bunk and perched on the head rest and began to purr as she gazed at her master, almost smiling at him. "Daisy" "what am I going to do with you?" he said smilingly as he took a towel and began patting the gashes on his face and shoulder. After cleaning and dressing his wounds, he then laid back down on the bed and looked up at Daisy. "Girl" "you never seem to amaze me" Mathew then went on to tell her all about his adventures and it seemed she understood every single word, as she chirped and purred and listened to him talk.
Mathew fell fast asleep after telling Daisy about everything that had happened to him since she flew off.


© 2011 Michael


Author's Note

Michael
Thanks for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011
Tags: pirate, romance, dragons


Author

Michael
Michael

OH



About
Welcome to my world. Disclaimer.. Don't expect much when viewing my work, I am very new to writing. more..

Writing
Dirty Needles Dirty Needles

A Story by Michael