The Purge: Anarchy - Movie Review

The Purge: Anarchy - Movie Review

A Story by Michael Kikle

If there is a term for me when it comes to movies, I'm essentially a Franchise Man; I love the A Nightmare on Elm Street films, the Friday the 13th flicks, and the Halloween chillers. I've made YouTube reviews for a good majority of the Children of the Corn movies, and then reviewed all of the Hellraiser movies.

 

I'm a Franchise Man.

 

Tonight, I went with a few friends to see The Purge: Anarchy, and, to my surprise, I really enjoyed the film, even at its most shockingly stupid moments (specifically anything the daughter of one of the characters says is a slap in the face of the number one rule of thumb for writing anything: Show, don't tell). To add to my review, I'll say this: I wasn't head-over-heels in love with the first Purge film, but this film really did a fine job of showing us the actual street activity during a Purge sequence, which--if you haven't seen the first film--is when the government essentially goes into a shutdown mode nation-wide to allow any acts of terrorism (murder, rape, you name it) to be performed within a twenty-four-hour period. This time round, we get a bit more in depth with how the rich typically treat the Purge nights, and it's pretty interesting, in my opinion.

 

Needless to say: if you hated the first film, you'll hate this one, as well--even if it is a bit better (by my own standards).

 

The actors do their very best with what they are given in this script, but the daughter I mentioned earlier needs to be removed from the screenplay. She is the worst flaw in this whole flick, I s**t you not, readers. This girl says everything that should be left for subtext and thought. I actually got to the point one-fourth into the movie that I was practically chant-whispering for her to be brutally disemboweled by this insane Lost Boys-esque group of twenty-somethings with absolutely horrifying masks. One of the masked murderers is my favorite imagery from the film (which is a hard statement to explain until you've seen the film, as well) due to his absolutely quiet mojo. The guy can simply stand at the end of a street, swinging a machete back and forth to taunt his prey, and bricks of s**t will explode from my trousers. Oh, and he has "God" written across the forehead of his mask. Very intriguing. We also have another character that is practically chapter-and-verse Frank Castle, the Punisher from Marvel comics. The lead actress and the white couple with completely forgetful names do fine with what's inked onto their pages.

 

The film has a ton of violence, and if you're a squeamish human being, you might want to avoid it. But, for everyone familiar--even faintly--with the genre, the gore isn't too revolutionary in its attempt to be an exploitation film.

 

I must also admit that the film's political message is identical to the first film's, yet I feel like the handling of it here, with "God", is a decent improvement over the former movie. Yet, this is just as much of a popcorn summer movie as the original flick.

 

The Purge: Anarchy was a very fun, worrisome, other-side-of-the-coin film compared to the first film, and I must say that I had a good time. The reason I brought up the whole Franchise Man mantra was to state this, on a firm record: I want another one. Mostly, I want a trilogy, but a series could be fine, too, even if it looks impossible to achieve. With this film's trailers, I felt like there was no hope for it, but it managed to shock me, and I must give credit where credit is due.

 

So, filmmakers, give us one more.

 

My rating for The Purge: Anarchy is a solid 6/10 stars.

 

Thank you for reading.

 

Do you agree with my review? Let me know!

© 2014 Michael Kikle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

434 Views
Added on July 18, 2014
Last Updated on July 18, 2014
Tags: michael, kikle, film, movie, book, reviewer, review, the, purge, anarchy, series, sequel, franchise, politics, horror, drama, thriller

Author

Michael Kikle
Michael Kikle

Roanoke, VA



About
Hello, my name is Michael G. Kelley (also known as "Michael Kikle" on YouTube). I love to write, yet struggle with continuing projects. I love to talk, so my YouTube channel is filled with thought vid.. more..

Writing