Purple Skies

Purple Skies

A Story by Michael Thrower
"

A personal story that I hope you all enjoy. It is anything but boring... Enjoy...

"

It was about noon as I began taking the trash out to the dumpster behind the restaurant I’ve worked at for almost a year now. Nothing unusual, as usual, as I walked along the parking lot and to the dumpster, pulling along the large trashcan behind me. As I reached the gates to which the dumpster stood, I unlocked the hinge, opened it, and proceeded in with the trashcan. Dragging it closer to me, I opened the sliding doors of the dumpster and began taking the bag out of the can.


As I struggled with it, I noticed a faint smell of vanilla and cigarettes. Finally lifting the heavy bag into the air to deposit it, I noticed a bright red light fading in and out of my vision, pulsing. I dropped the bag, scattering trash all over the concrete I stood on. From within the dumpster I could hear a humming sound that made rhythm with the pulsing red light.


An odd sensation overcame all of my senses, and suddenly the sky became a very interesting place to stare at. I drifted away in thought as I gazed at the empty blue void. Then, as if I had been falling, I came back to my senses and looked back at that strange red light inside the dumpster. It was beautiful; something was indeed different about it. The humming noise it made peaked my curiosity and senses all at once, as if I had suddenly come upon a strong wave of clairvoyance.


A few minutes passed and I finally gave into my desires and overwhelming temptation. I began to climb into the dumpster. I felt light as a feather and strong as a giant as I easily lifted my way in. The scene of vanilla was overwhelming as I searched, looking for that pulsing red light. The object I found, after digging quite deep into the trash, was beyond words.


It was in the shape of a ball, yet it was shapeless at the same time. I dared not to touch it or even gaze at it for longer than a second. The red light and humming sound filled the inside of the dumpster as it got stronger. The very walls began to vibrate as if even they were trying to escape the object. From above, outside of the dumpster, I heard a loud crash. It was as if some sort of semi-truck had driven straight into the dumpster I was now inside. Yet I felt no thrashing about, only the loud humming from the crazed object.


A sudden fear took over and I began scrambling through the trash, making my escape from madness. I threw myself outside of the dumpster and made a four-foot drop, landing right on my side. I felt a thousand pounds heavier and wondered how my body wasn’t seeping and spilling all around me.    


 It was a long effort before I got back up onto my feet, and still then I was shaking and trembling as I stood. My body felt aged thousands of years, and to describe such a state would be meaningless and impossible. That loud crash, I wondered to myself what it could have been? I then began looking back to the sky once again. In the short, or long (I can’t remember), period of time I was in the dumpster, the sky changed color to a deep and waving purple pattern. I had never seen anything like it before and it filled me with a joy and unimaginable terror at once.


From that point on I cannot recall what happened. My last memory was the deep purple sky, that wonderful shade of purple. The grandness of it all made me realize how small and insignificant we are to the outer spheres.  I remember gazing into its terrible beauty. Now I sit at my desk and write what I can recall, that I may never forget or forgive what that strange object in the dumpster did to me. Ryk mrtm flaglrmi alamj gytjkm Sothoth!

© 2014 Michael Thrower


Author's Note

Michael Thrower
Please rate and review. I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading this as I do understand most people on here hate reading stories about as much as they hate themselves, sooo... without further adieu. Let me know what you thought.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My, but this sounds like a very interesting workday!

In all seriousness though, this story has potential. One thing I noticed was that you used the word "it" for the trash can quite a few times in the opening paragraphs. Perhaps try other words for the trash can, such as the bin, the rubbish, the receptacle, the waste products of his job, the discards, just for a few examples? More variation in word choice keeps a story interesting. A little more description of the contents of the dumpster, like random pieces of trash would not go amiss either. Perhaps start with the mundane, like that halfeaten ham sandwich or someone's old holey socks, then gradually shift to the fantastic.

Good work so far

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

My, but this sounds like a very interesting workday!

In all seriousness though, this story has potential. One thing I noticed was that you used the word "it" for the trash can quite a few times in the opening paragraphs. Perhaps try other words for the trash can, such as the bin, the rubbish, the receptacle, the waste products of his job, the discards, just for a few examples? More variation in word choice keeps a story interesting. A little more description of the contents of the dumpster, like random pieces of trash would not go amiss either. Perhaps start with the mundane, like that halfeaten ham sandwich or someone's old holey socks, then gradually shift to the fantastic.

Good work so far

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well written, left wanting more and surreal, my kinda cuppa :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


I think it was a nicely written story but I believe there were certain parts in the story which was slightly unclear. But altogether-it was pretty awesome.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

10 Years Ago

Thank you! And I purposefully made some parts unclear, but I'm curious if you're talking about somew.. read more
Pixieholt

10 Years Ago

I would say that writing little ambiguously was a nice touch although I couldn't quite keep up with .. read more
Michael Thrower

10 Years Ago

Ahhhh, hmm. Yeah that was not supposed to be as discreet. I will keep a note of that and fix it.
I liked it a lot. I think sometimes weird things like that can happen and we can never quite explain them. Definitely an interesting story and it made me think.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

10 Years Ago

Why, thank you very much :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I like the concept of the story, but this seems like it is the start of an even bigger story. When it's alone, I just want more. Other than that, the story is really good :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

10 Years Ago

Haha good! I'm glad I've left the reader wanting more. Thank you so much for your time :)
Shaquana Adams

10 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
A great story! However, it sounds a bit choppy to me. Maybe, you can add a few transitions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gleb Zavlanov

10 Years Ago

A few minutes passed and I finally gave into my desires and overwhelming temptation. I began to cli.. read more
Michael Thrower

10 Years Ago

Ahh, good tips. Very good. I will improve it soon, after leaving it this way for a few days to see w.. read more
Gleb Zavlanov

10 Years Ago

It was my pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

567 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 26, 2014
Last Updated on January 26, 2014
Tags: fantasy, horror, adventure, tranquility, romance, peace, happiness, despair, sex, sadness, dark, light, lonely, mysterious, beauty, love, hookah

Author

Michael Thrower
Michael Thrower

Azeroth, GA



About
22 years old and a student at a community college. For now. I love reading and writing fantasy and fiction. I'm hoping that by using this site, I'll learn to become a better author and reader. If you .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..