The Diary of Holly Glass

The Diary of Holly Glass

A Story by Michael Thrower
"

For a contest by Jack Wolfe, but still a great read.

"

September 1st, 1987;

Dearest diary ,


Today was my very first day of fifth grade! I was so excited to be a fifth grader because it is the last year before I go to middle school, and who doesn’t dream of middle school at my age?

Well, it all started as I stepped on to the bus at 6:20am. My best friend Kelly, who was a grader younger than me, saved me a seat as she always has. We always had the best of times riding the bus together, there were so many cute boys to talk about. Once we arrived at school she and I walked together to the cafeteria and waited in line for breakfast. It was an unpleasant experience because Madeline, the most popular girl in school, was standing in front of me. We were in the same grade and have known each other ever since preschool. I have always hated her.


After a dreadful ten minutes in the cafeteria line, Kelly and I took our usual course of biscuits and gravy with a carton of OJ over to the same table we always sat at every day throughout every year. Our friends were seated there, waiting for us to arrive. I have always loved my friends with such dearness.


Once the bell rang for class, Kelly and I departed ways as we walked to our classrooms. It was always sad to see her go, but I was too excited to be sad. It was, after all, my first day of being a big fifth grader! I was at the top of the school now; people would look at me with respect as I walked through the hallways. I felt like a queen. As my mother always told me, I have the perfect mind for a queen.


The rest of my day went by a lot quicker than I thought it would. All except for recess, where I realized being a fifth grader wasn’t all it seemed to be. I was sitting alone as I typically do, reading one of my favorite books called Cadaverous. It was about a princess who will soon become a queen, but she is driven mad by the evil prince she must marry and kills him in the last chapter. I have read the book seven times now; I love it so much. I want to be a queen like her, so powerful and strong, but with a nice prince instead of an evil one.


As I was reading in to my favorite chapter, the one where the princess finds the prince sleeping with her sister, I felt a light tap on my arm. I turned around and was shocked at who I saw. It was Aaron, the most attractive boy in my grade who I also knew since preschool, who I have always been so in love with. He told me he liked my dress and then sat down beside me and asked what I was reading. We spent an entire fifteen minutes discussing my book and the stories of the princess, and he seemed so interested in everything I had to say. I know this is love, the way he looked at me and said “Holly”.


That’s when Madeline showed up. The vicious snake of all kids in the school, Madeline, walked to where we were sitting and glared down at me with jealous eyes. She asked Aaron why he was sitting with me and not playing on the swings with her, as he usually did. He told her to go away, which is when she quickly jerked my book from my hands. I was startled and watched her carefully hoping she wouldn’t damage it, as I like to keep my books looking brand new. Aaron told her to stop and to leave me and him alone; he took up for me. She, Madeline, being the evil witch that she is, threw my favorite book to the ground and stomped it into the dirt.


My face is still red from the tears I shed. I picked up my book from the ground and tried my best to dust it off and furnish it, but the pages were smeared and bent, the cover bearing a mark of the muddy sneakers she wore. It was like seeing my own child beaten up in front of me; I was destroyed. Enraged I stood up and tried to push her, but Aaron was in between us now so I accidentally pushed him, causing him to fall backwards over the wood that circles the playground, in to the dirt. Madeline and her posse laughed at me and Aaron, who was lying motionless on the ground.


It was the most embarrassing thing that has happened to me in my life. I began to cry and run back into the school, covering my face in hopes that no one would see me cry. Of course they saw me cry, though; they were laughing as I ran away and calling me names such as “Crybaby Holly”. I’ll never forget that name; I’ll never forget Madeline and her posse. Someday I will get even with her, I swear it. Mark my words here and let them be forever a sign of what soon will come!


Tomorrow when I go to class I will see her. She will be the first person I see, the only person I see, and I will have my revenge. That b***h, yes I said b***h, it is the only true name of what could possibly even scratch what she really is. She is my evil prince, metaphorically, and I will be the all-powerful queen that stops the madness and cruelty which she would otherwise inflict upon future met people. I will put an end to her, let it be known!


First, I will walk up to her and tell her I’m sorry for taking Aaron away from her yesterday on the playground. She will most likely say something rude and offensive towards me, but I will act as if it was a compliment; they could well be her last words. I will walk away saying nothing, but leaving her the look of a smile on my face. I want her to be confused before I get my revenge. I want her to feel alone and empty, worried, and completely surprised before I do what I plan to do.


Once lunch comes, I will sit next to her and her posse in the cafeteria. I’ll offer her my milk, asking for a peace treaty. When she accepts, which I know she will because she loves the school’s chocolate milk, I will secretly drop one of mommies blue pills into the drink as I open it for her. Then I will wait for lunch to end, the time where we go out to the playground. It’s so exciting writing this out; I already feel a slight relief from the pain she has caused me. I have learned everything from Cadaverous that I need to know in order to rid the world of wicked people and to become a just and loving queen.


I will see her swinging on the bigger swings where she and her posse usually go during recess. Mommy’s medicine should kick in around that time, and Madeline should begin to feel very weak and sleepy. I’m hoping she will fall off the swing, but if not that’s okay. I have bigger plans for her. I will be waiting and watching her during recess, somewhere where no one will see me openly, and I will be pretending to read Cadaverous, holding it up for the possible chance of her looking at me, she will see her nasty footprint on the cover.


One she feels weak, I will take her from her posse and say I’m helping her to the nurse. They will most likely think nothing of it and let me go with no further questioning. Then I will take her behind the playground in to the woods. This will be the hard part, sneaking off without the teachers noticing me, but I think I will walk through the school first and then out a small side door I’ve seen the janitor use.


I will precede the walk in to the woods, dragging her behind me as I know she will begin to question and resist. She will be too weak to slip away from me, thanks to Mommy’s medicine, and I will have no trouble getting her to a remotely out-of-sight area. Then I will talk to her about why I hate her and tell her how rude she has been to everyone, and how she will most likely go to hell for it. She will be listening, but too weak to respond. Once I’m finished, I will begin the real revenge.


I will lay her down on a large rock that I’ve seen in the woods before when I was walking home. I will rest her head gently there, and show her my book that she smashed up. That’s when I will do to her the same as she did to my book. I will step on her face, kick her, break her jaw and fracture her skull. I will do this for as long as I please. If she makes noise, I will rip out as many pages needed from my book and stuff them in to her mouth to quench the sound.

I will kick her and smash her beautiful and perfect face until she doesn’t look like the same person anymore. That’s when I will begin smashing her head repeatedly into the rock I’ve laid her on, over and over until I get my revenge, until she stops moving completely. Until her heats stops pounding, then I will have finally gotten my peace of mind!

 

-Holly

 

Hello America, this is Brian McDoufrey reporting to you on yet another nationwide shocking murder! It happened just yesterday, September 2, where young Holly Glass beat her younger sister to death while they were playing dolls together in their mother’s basement! There was a diary found where Holly wrote out her extremely detailed plans to kill her younger sister, Madeline Glass. It seems as if it was a made up story about another girl completely, but evidence shows otherwise. Holly Glass was a homeschooled girl who was just now making her way to fifth grade study material. Her mother commented saying she never had many friends and that Madeline was always her best friend, but Holly usually called her by her middle name “Kelly”.


Holly is now in custody of an asylum for young people and children who just aren’t fit to be in society. More news to come next after the commercial! 

© 2014 Michael Thrower


Author's Note

Michael Thrower
Had to kind of hurry it up around the middle-end realizing I was going to go over word count if I kept going the same pace. Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Got me absorbed into it from the very first line.. Its really really interesting.. The diary entry is rich in childy innocence which is extremely charming.. The way feelings are expressed makes one feel them.. The descriptions are so good one can totally see the things happening.. The twist in the end just made my eyes go wide.. Written well up to the standard of professionals.. Bravo! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Very kind and encouraging words :)



Reviews

whaaat! Oh my goodness that poor troubled child! Reminds me of a younger version of Carrie in a way. A very innocently dark and intriguing story; congrats on 1st place!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :D
Lost in Wonderland

9 Years Ago

No problem:)
At first, I found myself empathizing with Holly, as I think most anyone can, but then I saw the whole picture. Damn. This story does a great job of capturing the enthusiastic and innocent, yet wrathful and sudo-sociopathic nature of a child. Luckily, most young people never go through with even half of the diabolical schemes they hatch up. I love the fact that this story shows us a very real scenario of what happens when they do. A textbook case of "playtime gone-gone-wrong."

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much Matthew, I'm glad you enjoyed. I wrote it for a competition that I linked somewh.. read more
Got me absorbed into it from the very first line.. Its really really interesting.. The diary entry is rich in childy innocence which is extremely charming.. The way feelings are expressed makes one feel them.. The descriptions are so good one can totally see the things happening.. The twist in the end just made my eyes go wide.. Written well up to the standard of professionals.. Bravo! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Thrower

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Very kind and encouraging words :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

907 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 22, 2014
Last Updated on July 22, 2014
Tags: dream, dreaming, sleep, nocturnal, poetry, tolkien, parallel, stars, moon, dark, night, sun, clouds, day, peace, funny, irish, poem, pipe, woman, lady, skirt, travel, realm, star, galaxy, space, earth

Author

Michael Thrower
Michael Thrower

Azeroth, GA



About
22 years old and a student at a community college. For now. I love reading and writing fantasy and fiction. I'm hoping that by using this site, I'll learn to become a better author and reader. If you .. more..

Writing
Angels Angels

A Story by Michael Thrower