Lottery.

Lottery.

A Story by Michael.Fischer
"

This is the introduction and general hook into an old story I wrote. I'm not sure I possess the will to finish it. Is it worth it? It introduces several topics, and shows the beauty of life.

"
Lottery. Part 1

Intro: Life is much like a lottery, everything that happens to a human being is simply luck of the draw. In fact if you are reading this consider yourself lucky. Think of how many people die every second like clockwork. How many times could you have joined those numbers today? Even now as you sit here wasting precious time. This story is about youth and luck and how men decide how to spend their lives.

Part 1

The year is 2036 and the pace of life is faster than ever. Everything is now automated and freedom has a different meaning to the people who inhabit Earth. As technology became more complex, everyday schedules and what we consider “normality” changed drastically. On this particular morning our character Rick Thompson wakes up to a familiar voice.
“Good morning Mr. Thompson, it is 9:37 am and there is a moderate to heavy rainfall coming your way by 10:30..” The voice continued but Rick learned to block it out. At the age of 90 he had already exceeded his usefulness to society and was thrown to the wolves by young business men who knew only how to treat themselves. Every night he prayed he would not wake up, hoping he would die peacefully in his slumber. Rick never had a wife or kids, but he did have a couple brothers whom he had not seen in what seemed to be a century.
Rick was not necessarily bitter to the inhabitants of Earth, he just hated what the world had become, hell he couldn’t even take a piss without some computer telling him he needed to drink more water during his daily activities. 
This particular morning was no different from the rest; life had become a bland and tasteless shell ever since daily life was a simple input rather than a process. Rick had around 20 minutes now before it would start to rain and he had a schedule to keep. Pulling his jacket tight his hand grabbed for his cane; he then proceeded to struggle to leave the doorway which required an annoying step down to street level.
“Where to Mr. Thompson?” Asked the cab which was now operated without a human present in the vehicle.
“The usual” Rick grunted spitting on the sidewalk before he fell into the car, bones creaking as he caught his breath and cursed. The car sped off towards Mercy Hospital Rick’s new second home.

****

“Certainly looks like rain” said Rick’s primary physician Dr. Hilbert, knowing full well it would in fact rain at 10:30 am. Small talk was a device only used by the older gentlemen in this time.

“Sure does doc, and I’m assuming the charts don’t look so predictable..” spoke Rick in his raspy voice.

“Unfortunately not Mr. Thompson it seems as if the cancer has only spread and yes before you ask, it is type 3.” replied Hilbert “I’m terribly sorry, you’ve been a strong man through this entire process. A great example to all of our patients.”

“So my blood isn’t any good now?” asked Rick who had recently been donating generously to the unfortunate kids he had always grieved for.

“Mr. Thompson something amazing has happened” said Dr. Hilbert whose eyes were glistening “on the contrary you now are what we call an ‘alienated host,’ your blood in reaction to the cure and the mutagen from the Great War have created a perfect antibody, although it is of no use to the original being as you know.. We can move quickly to extract the blood and give it to someone who desperately needs it and save a life. However once it has bonded to a host it will be of no use to you, this exchange will kill you.” Dr. Hilbert perhaps thought the last bit would deter the old man but instead he received a swift hug from the usually grumpy old man.

“Thanks doc,” Rick said as he tipped his hat and began to leave, “I’ll be back for the extraction tomorrow?” Dr. Hilbert nearly fainted, no one in this territory had ever seen a perfect host, and the fact that the old man was so eager to give his life away was a dream come true for any medical specialist. Quickly he regained focus and jotted a note on some paper.

“We will be in touch Mr. Thompson” Hilbert said regaining his professionalism. Rick walked out the door and headed back for the street.

Cancer had evolved much from it’s first discovery so many years ago. During the Great War it was developed into an airborne virus that sped the process tenfold and was used to destroy entire nations.  A cure was eventually developed after years of pain and suffering, but the human body began to resist. Being injected with the cure firsthand would be completely useless as generations developed antibodies making the human system reject it completely. The only way the cure would work was if it was given time to evolve in a being’s body and was then extracted and put into a new host. To further complicate things the blood would have to fuse perfectly with the antibody, in essence there was about a .001% chance even the most qualified candidates had usable blood. In essence this perfect process which is occurring in Rick’s body makes him the billion dollar man. Rick alone now has the power to save a life.


To be continued.

© 2012 Michael.Fischer


Author's Note

Michael.Fischer
This is a very rough draft, forgive misspellings and other general mistakes. This is purely to get the story out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like it, it gets you thinking and clamoring for more. I would love to read more, keep it up if you can.
Love,
CreativeCookie

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael.Fischer

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this!
Mike

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012
Tags: Death, lottery, mike, fischer, michael, old, win, luck, chance

Author

Michael.Fischer
Michael.Fischer

Buffalo, NY



About
I am a 20 year old hopeful in a Liberal Arts program. I aspire to be a screenwriter, but realistically anything that includes creative writing. more..

Writing