~Three~

~Three~

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland
"

Aspen and Dakota's bond starts to grow

"
    "Miss Marks? Is everything alright?" The too sweet voice made my stomach churn. I shrugged Amber Palone's hand off my shoulder. An annoyed glint in her eyes almost made me scoff. I'd bet a lot of money that she'd been the popular, perfect girl in High school that assumed people felt graced just by her presence. Not me though. I just wanted to get out of there; the bright, studio lights were too hot on my face making me sweat, my breath strained.
    "Miss Marks?" Amber prompted. My eyes snapped to her. Mother nudged me, an embarrassed flush on her cheeks. I rolled my eyes.  Mom always seemed to care too much about appearance.
   "Yeah," I mumbled eventually, "I um...I just need some air." The excuse stuttered out as I rushed off stage. Mother called after me, but I didn't turn. I just needed to get away from that tape, from the dark claws of memories that threatened to creep up and suffocate me. Subconsciously, I started running. I just needed to feel some sort of power. Air rapidly filled my lungs and my skin tingled. The staff of the studio shot me weird glances, but I paid them no mind.
   When I burst out of the studio doors, the sun bright and blinding, I drew in a long, deep breath of fresh air. The mundane, normal hum of electricity and chatting workers seemed odd to me. I had to accept I was part of this world again, not the dark little chamber I'd gotten used to.
    My head spun as the two parts of me conflicted; Normal, quirky high school student Aspen, and dark, tormented kidnapped Aspen. I shook my head- getting dizzy from thinking to much- and walked slowly out of the gates. A small part of me pondered over the fact that no one came after me, but I didn't care. I preferred to be alone rather hear my mom's shocked and flustered rambles.
    For a while I wandered aimlessly down the side walk, feeling the rush of air and exhaust as cars passed. I focused on little cracks in the pavement, birds chirping, anything simple to keep my mind numb. It was easier than I though; out here, on my own I was just a random, nameless girl and I liked it better that way. 
    I'd lost track of time, but at some point a faded black truck started to slow down on the road next to me. My heart beat sped up a little. Screaming alone in the back of a truck, sore throat, no one can hear you, no escape, pain, pain, RUN!
    I followed my mind's silent command and started to speed away from the truck. Tears stung my eyes as I imagined him chasing me, beer and cigarettes on his breath. Panic had gripped my heart tightly and my puled thumped loudly in my ears. My feet stumbled, almost making me trip. No, not again! I thought.
    The truck had sped up, stopping a few yards in front of me. I staggered to a stop. My brain screamed at me to turn back, but I was rooted to the ground in fear. The driver's door opened and he rounded the truck, hurrying over to me. Knees shaking in shock, I started to fall to the ground. Dakota caught me fast though.
    His hold sent a war of emotions inside of me: Pain, warmth, Trapped, safe, monster, angel, suffocating, freedom. Tremors rocked through me and a low, frightened whine escaped my throat. My back tensed up and I dug my nails roughly into my balled up fist.
    "Shh, Aspen it's okay. It's me, Dakota. I won't hurt you. Your safe." His smooth hands stroked my face lightly. Slowly, I relaxed into him, exhausted from my flash back.
    "Do you want to go home?" He asked, trying to hide the fear in his eyes. His mouth pulled into a concerned half-frown. I nodded and let him carry me to his car before driving me home.
 
    The ride was silent; Dakota's eyes locked on the road and me? I was just twiddling my thumbs and trying to get a hold of myself. The air was tense; I knew Dakota couldn't think of what to say to me. A blush tinted my cheeks and I buried my head in my hands. I'd give anything to go back in time 3 months before this nightmare began.
    "Aspen..." He started after a moment of awkward silence. Wearily, I met his gaze. "Are you okay?"
    The way he asked it made me shake; it seemed like he already knew I wasn't. I laughed once without humor and rasped, "I don't know."

    Dakota pulled into my driveway , but I didn't move. I gnawed on my lip nervously. My parents would be home soon, shocked by my behavior at the interview. We weren't a lovey-dovey-hugs-and-kisses kind of family so I'd been able to act relatively fine around them. My little episode would spout out unwanted question, worries and speeches. I shuddered.
    Clearing his throat, Dakota turned to look at me. He softly took my hand and the corner of his mouth pulled into a frown. Clamping my lips shut, I tries to hold back tears. One escaped prompting Dakota to gently wipe it away. My heart churned at his touch; for some reason I didn't have the insane urge to run.
    "Did they catch him?" He asked simply. It was almost a relief that he didn't gush about how sorry he was.
     I shrugged. "He had left before they found me. I have no clue if he went back t the house or if he ran off." I whispered weakly.
    "They didn't tell you?"
    I shook my head. Everyone seemed to tip-toe around the subject with me- except that idiot reporter- even the police. My guess was that it had to do with what they saw. It couldn't have been pretty. They probably didn't want to make me relive any of it after they'd gotten a few statements (which didn't come out of me easily). There was still so much no one knew.
    Well no one but me.
    "Are you scared?" He asked quietly, his deep eyes never leaving mine.
    "All the time." 
    He pulled me into a strong hug. I startled; I hadn't been shown affection for a long time so I was a little unsure of how to respond. Slowly I eased into his arms, and awkward stiffness still lingering slightly in my spine.
    "Well don't be" He cooed into my ear, rubbing my back soothingly until, with a sigh, I released my tension. "You have me and I won't let him hurt you ever again. Do you trust me?"
    I gulped. Trust was a strong word. Biting my lip, I looked at Dakota. Understanding flooded his eyes and he just held me, going at my pace.


© 2013 Lost in Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

can you PLEASE come out with more in this book?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

9 Years Ago

I just did
This is really good so far, and I can't wait for more! Mind sending me a read request or a message when you add more please?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

Thank you:) and yeah no problem, I'll let you know if I add more
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
the case is getting deeper... the intense emtional barricade made her jumpy and always afriad... this two seems to have a past relationship.. now i wonder... about what really happend to her ... seems she has no memories of sort of what had the kidnappers done to her or that story is on the way... ok... I'll read the next chapter soon...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thank you(:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 13, 2013
Last Updated on February 20, 2013
Tags: Kidnap, Scarred, Fear, Panic, Love, Friendship, Protection, Confliction


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

Wherever my books take me



About
Hi I'm mickey:) Welcome to my page I've been on this sight for a couple of years now and enjoy getting my writing out there for the world to read:) I appreciate comments and will read anything you .. more..

Writing