Mary

Mary

A Story by Cookie

Little Mary walked as silent as a ghost down the steps, not wanting to wake her parents. She knew she'd be in huge amounts of trouble if she was caught; yet, she had to do it.  "One step at a time," she tells herself over and over again. "It's okay; it's necessary."  Slowly, she makes her way down the stairs, somehow managing to not wake anyone else up.  Thinking she's okay, that she'd made it so far, that there was no more danger, she started walking a little faster. So close to the reward!  A few more steps...
 
But not as close as she thought. Turning the corner coming out of the hallway, Mary sees her mom waiting, watching the TV. "Is she asleep?" thinks Mary. "Maybe it'll still turn out!"
 
She keeps walking toward the kitchen, although now trying to be completely silent again.  "Oh no!" Her mind screams as she steps on a creaky floorboard--She's been caught.
 
She starts running now, not even looking behind her. She knows she's being chased. She knows she has to get away; although to where, she's not quite sure.. She just knows she has to get away before she's caught from behind. Hearing the footsteps behind her, she runs even faster. But her mother, bigger, stronger, faster than Mary, catches up to her easily. With a scream, Mary turns to try to fight...
 
But it's too late. This time, her mom's grabbed a knife from the counter before coming to punish her. She screams and starts kicking her daughter, who had fallen to the floor trying to keep herself alive. She screams horrible things, things that a child should never have to hear from a parent, especially a child so young and guiltless. Mary briefly remembers a time before her family fell apart, before her life turned into Hell on Earth... Grilling out, fun with her family and friends. She doesn't know why she remembers this, but she grabs onto it, hoping that it'll be reality again.  As she wishes for it back, a sharp pain explodes in her chest... Her mom threw the knife, inturrupting her thoughts.  Mary screams in pain, and prays with all she has left that she's going to Heaven now to be with her Savior, just before she fades into the blackness...
 
 
Waking up to a bright light, Mary wonders what's going on. She doesn't recognize this place--Is she in Heaven, painless and carefree at last? No questioning it... It's not her dark, dreary house, for which she is grateful.  She tries to sit up, but can't seem to find the energy.  She tries to speak, and as soon as she even whispers, she sees faces. None are familliar, which doesn't surprise her: She hasn't had friends in years, with her twisted family to thank.
 
A nurse leans over, and says, "Mary, dear, thank goodness you're awake!  You're in the hospital. Do you remember why?" Mary responds with a small whimper...She's still alive... And so disappointed at this realization.  The nurse looks at her with a pained expression. "Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry you had to go through that for so long, with no one being able to help you. But we can promise you that it will never happen again. You're safe here; your mother is in jail, and you are okay, Mary. Now, and forever."
 
Tears are running down the young girl's face... She knows that today, although a part of her died, a new part came alive... Today is the first day of the rest of her life.

© 2013 Cookie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was really good, and I love the idea of her being safe now.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I'm definitely intrigued by the idea you have going on here. I actually became surprised once the mom through the knife! So good job there. If I were to work on anything, it'd be the suspense working up to the point where she is caught. You have a lot of parts where I could really feel the suspense, but some parts are cut short by some awkwardly written parts, like when you describe Mary's thoughts. I would recommend writing this in first person, it would really add that suspenseful element. Everything else looks good though. ~Never Forget

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cookie

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the wonderful advice and ideas! :)
I'm sorry Mary had a disappointment but lad that she can finally find happiness.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 9, 2013
Last Updated on April 9, 2013

Author

Cookie
Cookie

GA



About
Hi, I'm Cookie! I'm 19. My writing is strange. more..

Writing